Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The insanity of our disposable way of life page 3

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Joanie, my car's the same age as yours and my phone is a flip top, prepaid too! I only use my phone when I travel. Thankfully our 15 yr old isn't into the trendy phones either. If he goes somewhere we send the same flip top phone with him. I will not be a slave to consumerism, working away my life for stupid junk I don't need and ruining the earth in the process.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Joanie, my car's the same age as yours and my phone is a flip top, prepaid too! I only use my phone when I travel. Thankfully our 15 yr old isn't into the trendy phones either. If he goes somewhere we send the same flip top phone with him. I will not be a slave to consumerism, working away my life for stupid junk I don't need and ruining the earth in the process.
    ...But the new iPhone is faster. It means I can make a duck face and post it to Facebook for lolz 0.22 seconds faster.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Birds of a feather. I always forget if my car is a '92 or '94, but when I drove here from the left coast, I remember it was shy of 20 years.

Give me a cell phone that will wash my floors, and I'll sign up.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    My car is a 1988 Mazda with over 300k on it, a little white stick-shift that is indestructible. The truck is a 1991 GMC Sierra....motorcycle is a 1967 Harley All Black. My woodstove is the winner though, manufactured in 1938. It is astonishingly hot and efficient.

I have a policy that everything made prior to about 1995 is drastically better than stuff made now. I have no data to support this, but all of my friends with newer vehicles spend a lot more repairs than I do
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I drive a '95 Toyota Camry that I paid 500 dollars for. Before that, was a '92 Honda Prelude. Loved that car.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Capitalism isn't the problem. Rampant Consumerism is the problem.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

paleodog is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is absolutely insane to me. I have an ipod touch that is less than 2 years old the battery inside is dead and it cannot be repaired. I'm expected to simply throw it away.
    This is one reason I do not buy Apple products anymore. They build in obsolescence at the expense of the environment to fatten their bottom line.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPenn View Post
    Capitalism isn't the problem. Rampant Consumerism is the problem.
    That's pretty true. There's even a joking term called "Retail Therapy."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    We live in a resource rich environment with a caveman's sense of deprivation, so we continue to hoard well beyond the point needed to sustain our lives. Our human thought process is falling far behind our technological evolution, even though the latter is not fairing well either due to this. Why innovate, when you can create a bigger touch screen and rehash the same product that gullible sheep will continue to buy? Human beings shape their identity on brand names, and propaganda is bled through to them that makes them feel as if they're not as cool, hip, sexy, trendy, and various other buzzwords enough unless they have x pointless outsourced product.

Also, the need for these belongings is taking away reason because the one who is thrifty does not feed into the capitalist market, so, people spend money they don't even have and amass debt that they must become slaves to repay. Even education is like this.

When we have meat before us and other food, we must say to ourselves: “This is the dead body of a fish, and this is the dead body of a bird or of a pig, and again, this Falernian [wine] is only a little grape juice, and this purple robe some sheep’s wool died with the blood of a shellfish” … so that we see what kinds of things they are. This is how we should act throughout life: where there are things that seem worthy of great estimation, we ought to lay them bare and look at their worthlessness and strip them of all the words by which they are exalted. For the outward show [of things] is a wonderful perverter of reason, and when we are certain the things we are dealing with are worth the trouble, that is when it cheats us most
    -Marcus Aurelius
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-08-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    ....motorcycle is a 1967 Harley All Black.
    okay Laz, a photo on that 'All Black' Harley in your 'All Black' leather gear - or it didn't happen !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ******just so you can indulge a couple of old cougars******
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast