Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper exercise looks almost exactly the opposite of CrossFit ! page

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

Thumbs up Proper exercise looks almost exactly the opposite of CrossFit !

Shop Now
    Drew Baye posted this on FB today, I think it should be posted up in every gym because I cringe seeing what most people call training !

"...proper exercise looks almost exactly the opposite of CrossFit - there is no jumping, swinging, bouncing, yanking, jerking, or spastically flopping around. Instead, every movement is slow and deliberate and done with the intent of maintaining relatively consistent tension on the target muscles and minimizing the stress on the joints. Proper exercise looks like Tai Chi with weights, not an epileptic seizure."

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    See, I don't agree with this. Although I'm not a fan of cross fit and I don't think what they do is helpful/safe, there is room for explosive, speed training. It all has it's place.

In the real world, nothing is "slow and deliberate" not really....
    IF your training for strength (which is what a lot of people do here) that deliberate time under tension stuff would kill you. When it comes to barbell training, I believe there is a certain degree of explosiveness and bounce, especially if it means getting the weight up. This, of course is provided you have proper form. Which a lot of people don't.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ Great deal of debate on this topic. It's mainly theoretical of course. Personally I can understand training explosiveness for thesake of explosiveness and strength for the sake of strength. TUT in terms that Drew is talking is about a 2 second concentric and 4 second eccentric....this is close to what anyone lifting a challenging weight ends up at anyhow (maybe not exactly for eccentric) The real difference is the turnarounds, where those of this ilk prefer to stop before lockout and take a couple seconds keeping tension on the muscle rather than performing a rest pause. I don't think this hinders strength gains in the least, but if you are in a sport (powerlifting, football, ect..) that you are training for explosiveness/power then of course you have to train for it. So I would pick the lifts that are conducive to training for power and explosiveness and program for their inclusion...such as some oly work and of course deadlifts where the whole lift is actually designed to move at a skilled and explosive movement from a stationary position. Exploding off of your chest with a bounce and fast eccentric motion on the barbell bench repetitively for 5-10 reps isn't helping anyone improve anything though IMO and only likely to increase injuries. And if your training for explosiveness and power with a skilled lift, doing so for reps to fatigue is also a bad idea.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Drew Baye for me personally. However, I'm tired of all the "this way is right, and this way is wrong". We should be encouraging people to do any exercise that is safe and they enjoy. The real enemy is a sedentary life not fellow exercise enthusiasts. Just my opinion.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It all boils down to what you're after. There is no more "proper exercise" than there is "proper diet".

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    I agree with Drew Baye for me personally. However, I'm tired of all the "this way is right, and this way is wrong". We should be encouraging people to do any exercise that is safe and they enjoy. The real enemy is a sedentary life not fellow exercise enthusiasts. Just my opinion.
    Thank you. For all people shit on CrossFit, most people that attend regularly end up with very fit bodies. It's pretty effective at making the average Joe stronger, faster and giving him more endurance. It will also when combined with a good diet, burn fat off if needed.

I don't see the need to constantly piss on a company who's product is a place that encourages people to be a part of community that regularly exercises and eats right. No, it probably is not the best way to get super strong, super fast or have super endurance. Yes, some people get hurt either due to accident or bad coaching; it happens with ANY activity.

It would be nice if the naysayers would just go and take a class and see what CrossFit is actually like. Most boxes offer a free intro class. Go, see how a class is conducted and what participants are like.

Frankly, I tried TaiChi once. It bored the hell out of me. But hey, if someone enjoys that, AWESOME. But I'd probably do it 3 times and then never again.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I dont get the whole "my way is right and everything else is wrong" thing. Crossfit has change people's lives in a very positive way. People I know personally. It gets knocked for not being a linear progression but that seems to come from barbell guys and not everyone is that concerned with how much they can bench. At the same time an untrained person straight off the couch would be an injury waiting to happen. I have just gone to more of an HIT workout ala Drew Baye and find that for us it is a great choice for now. We havent been incredibly active for quite some time and the more controlled nature of the movement feels safer. We started out with the barbell stuff but I felt our, especially my wife's form was too far off for right now and it is something we could come back to. Barbell training is fun and is effective as well but when average Joe starts calling it explosive training it can really be problematic. The above referenced chest bounce is an example. And everybody has their own reasons for working out. The barbell guys cant understand why anyone would "train" without have a goal of eternally putting more weight on the bar. Talk about not transferring to the real world.

They are all valid ways to improve one's physical and mental condition and there are many others. I'm not sure why it has to be so cult like. The "leaders" in each seem to have no tolerance for anything else which is a red flag for me anyway. It makes it sound very commercial. I like Drew's program and am finding value but his argumentative, my way is the only way approach is off putting. Rip has some great points and does a great job of teaching form but the idea that everything else is wrong is just silly really. As mentioned above, the message should be get your ass off the couch and make yourself stronger in whatever way makes you excited about doing it.

Reventon is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksson View Post
    As mentioned above, the message should be get your ass off the couch and make yourself stronger in whatever way makes you excited about doing it.
    +Many

This should be on a T-Shirt. I don't want people preaching about exercise, I want them teaching me about it. The beauty of the existence of different training methods is you can change and adapt what you do to meet your goals, you can mix and match and you can do something that is genuinely your own.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    We should be encouraging people to do any exercise that is safe
    That is the critical part, many forms of exercise work to varying degrees but surely the safest way to achieve the maximum results in the most efficient manner would be the best !

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Explosiveness is depending on strength and must be trained spesific in the sport you are training for. Nobody will become more explosive in running by squatting or doing leg extensions explosively, but increased strength can give an indirect carryover when training spesific for whatever sport movement...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast