Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is A Calorie A Calorie? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Is A Calorie A Calorie?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Simple statement... You say either True or False. Feel free to elaborate if you want.

Hurley consumes exactly 1800 calories every single day and burns exactly 2000 calories every single day. Hurley is losing weight every single day. The type of food does not at all matter.

So, true or false? Elaborate if you wish.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Even if we assume weight loss is all about calories in/out, it's still intellectually bankrupt to say "a calorie is just a calorie," since you're not factoring in satiety. 2000 calories of white bread and sugar is just going to make you hungry enough to eat another 500,000,000,000 calories. 2000 calories of real food will leave a lot of people satisfied for hours on end.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosenberry View Post
    Simple statement... You say either True or False. Feel free to elaborate if you want.

Hurley consumes exactly 1800 calories every single day and burns exactly 2000 calories every single day. Hurley is losing weight every single day. The type of food does not at all matter.

So, true or false? Elaborate if you wish.
    Hurley obviously doesn't have any degree of insulin resistance;-)

FALSE. There truly are "good calories" and "bad calories". Pretty simply put, bad calories are from foods which provoke an insulin response. Or inflammation. Both of which will contribute to weight gain (and brain deterioration, disease and all that fun stuff).
    I read about a rat study where two sets of mice ate the same amount of calories but one group ate them in the form of high-fructose corn syrup. Those mice gained weight and the other mice didn't. In fact, those poor mice continued to gain even after their calories were reduced!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Leptin fucking resistance

/thread
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    No.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    The term itself is an oversimplification:
    Nutritionists usually talk about the number of calories in a gram of a nutrient, but this implies that the food actually 'contains' energy. It's better to say that each gram of food (fuel) is associated with a particular amount of energy (released when the food is respired) source

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    No.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Technically, yes. A calorie is simply a unit of measurement for the energy in food. So, a calorie is a calorie, what else would it be?

But, when it comes to how that calorie acts in the human body with regards to whether the calorie came from fat or protein or carbohydrate, which I think is what you're asking... then my answer is

NO (or false)

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely not...aka NO
    I grok, therefore I am.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE the responses so far. I asked this "question" because I had an argument with my dad. Keep your thoughts coming!!!!!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast