Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is A Calorie A Calorie? page 2

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Basically my dad says a calorie is a calorie. Its simply a measurement. He learned this while he went to school.

He is correct. But, I tell him it just is not that simple....
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    A calorie of sugar vs. a calorie of fat will illicit a COMPLETELY different hormonal response.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Dad gets an A+ for physics and a sharp rap on the knuckles for a failure to understand biochemistry.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Keep them coming guys! I love every response so far!

So basically one can lose weight by consuming very little fat and protein and a lot of carbs as long as they burn more calories then they consume, right? Its just not the healthiest calories, but one will still lose weight... thats what he says...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Raleighwood is offline Member
    Have any of you looked at studies that examine the affects of different macronutrient diets and their results?

It's been found that different macronutrient diets produce statistically similar results in weightloss/gain. Now, there are differences. Such as how lean the weight gain/loss was, statiety, overall wellness.

However, those affects are not under scrutiny. In this context, whether a calorie is a calorie, is YES it is. You will lose/gain roughly the same amount of weight on different calorie diets if all other factors are held constant.

This is why you see success with all types of diets out there. People respond differently to different diets. Environment/behavior is also a big influencer.

Tell Dad I gained 30 pounds in a month once. Then over the next 7 weeks, I lost 49 pounds. And I didn't change how much or what types of food I ate. True story. Riddle him that.

Also, a diet of 1400 calories that is 1200 calories a day of protein and fat will generally lead to weight loss about 90% of the time. Subtract 500 calories of fat and add 500 calories of carbs, and that diet will be around 20 times less likely to succeed. But 1400 = 1400, right?
    Last edited by Bisous; 06-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Raleighwood is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Tell Dad I gained 30 pounds in a month once. Then over the next 7 weeks, I lost 49 pounds. And I didn't change how much or what types of food I ate. True story. Riddle him that.
    Then you must have changed your activity level, or contracted a parasite.

Lost a parasite, more like.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    When you say, "lose weight", what do you really mean?

In the past was on Weight Watchers for about four months, and lost 25 pounds. I lost some fat, but I ALSO lost 5% of my lean body mass. As I am female, with very little to start with, this was a major PITA. Eating correctly, I continue to lose FAT and inches (except on my biceps, which have gotten about an inch bigger), although not so much weight. What would be more important to your dad?

Sure, anyone can lose "weight" if they starve themselves sufficiently, but I don't believe that's what we're really wanting.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I've lost weight (and kept it off, then lost more) during periods of eating WELL above my maintenance level and keeping carbs very, very low while keeping fat super high. Going by calories in vs. calories out, this would be impossible.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast