Thread: Bullet Steak Supreme page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Bullet Steak Supreme

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Warning! Fancy food ahead ...

Browsing through the meats at my local farm shop, I happened upon a cut called a 'Bullet Steak'. I asked about it and got the Butchers' answer - for real people, it's a traditional cut which Butchers are bringing back into popularity. It's from the flank, a thin-ish steak and works best as black and blue.

But first, our starter ...

I have egg whites surplus to requirement from something I'll be doing as part of our main, so I based a fun entrée around gently fried egg whites covered with pickled herring, pickled beetroot, tomato, leaves, cottage cheese and Yorkshire mayonnaise, a yellow mayo from rapeseed, white wine vinegar, egg yolk and mustard; so, yet more egg white.

EAT MOAR HERRING!

So, the main course ...

Bullet steak, cooked black and blue, oyster mushrooms, asparagus, peas, samphire, potato and beetroot over mushroom velouté with leaves, crowned with a poached egg yolk.

Putting this together is simply a case of having everything reading up front and assembling onto warm plates while the steak flashes in a pan.

Velouté

Dice up some mushrooms, oyster in my case, shredded leek, a dash of white pepper and cook through in butter in a skillet.

Add some beef stock, blend well, passing through a sieve back into the skillet to reduce. Stir in some cream, or soured cream as I did, and reduce further.

Set aside just to warm through at the end.

Veggies

Boil your beetroots and cut up. Set aside.

Soften the oyster mushrooms in butter, in a skillet. We'll be adding the other veggies in at the end to warm through, so pick a skillet of sufficient size.

Boil your potatoes. Drain and set aside.

Par boil the asparagus and peas, immersing the samphire in at the very end. Drain and add to the skillet with your oyster mushrooms. Add the potatoes in.

Set the skillet aside.

Leaves

Have your leaves ready to scatter over.

I also shredded some radicchio to provide a bitter base over the creamy velouté.

Egg Yolk

We'll be crowning this dish with a poached egg yolk, so have a yolk per person ready and waiting in a ramekin and pan of boiled water just simmering.

Steak

When you're ready to eat, pre-heat a skillet while you just warm through the veggies and sauce, flash fry the steak while you assemble the dish ...

Assemblage

Take a plate and make a slide of velouté down the centre over which shredded radicchio is scattered.

Arrange a few potatoes and beetroots to form the structure of the dish.

Retrieve the steaks, rest very briefly and cut through into a number of pieces showing off the rare centre. Mingle in and amongst the roots.

Immerse the egg yolks into the pan of water - you want 60 seconds. No more ... no less.

Arrange the asparagus, samphire and peas in and amongst the meat and roots.

Retrieve the egg, gently, and rest on some kitchen paper to dry off.

Scatter some leaves over, black pepper and a little interesting salt - I used Icelandic Ash Salt.

Crown with the egg yolk.

Phew! Voilà! Presenting ... Bullet Steak Supreme.

That'll do for a fancy dinner. My Mrs thought it was the best plate I've ever done. I disagreed, but I'm glad she enjoyed it. For a regular dinner, pretty much do the same, but with a lot less stress - cook your sauce, your veggies, plate up and flash the steaks. Lay over with a fried egg on top.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Kind of funny how butchers take a cut of meat that nobody wants, rename and all of a sudden people pay 2-3x what they used to for the same thing. Tri-tip, flank steak are all overpriced here and command a price higher than a NY strip steak which is a far more tender cut of beef. Short ribs are also crazily priced and beef back ribs are still in bargain territory. With a home cobbled together sous vide I can do all the tough stuff and have tender beef.

btw - your food and photo's look awesome !

Cheers! Actually, these cuts were sooooo cheap, I had to have them

I don't eat meat, much. I'm a very happy pesce-primal. When I find meat cuts at a low price, it seems a shame not to ... offals and slow-cook cuts, for me.

Thank you for the kind comment about my pictures. I did a Salmon Supreme this evening - pretty much the same thing, but with salmon, prawns and a seafood veloute. I'll post it up in due course ...

TQD
    TQD is offline Member
    That is some of the most beautiful food I've ever seen. I want to kidnap you and trap you in my kitchen...ok, that came out wrong. Let me rephrase...you and your wife are invited for dinner any time, as long as you cook

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQD View Post
    That is some of the most beautiful food I've ever seen. I want to kidnap you and trap you in my kitchen...ok, that came out wrong. Let me rephrase...you and your wife are invited for dinner any time, as long as you cook
    Ditto! Now I feel bad about the way my food looks. Thanks. ;-)

Thank you, folks. If I'm ever in Arizona, I'll look you up TQD.

With regards to the look of food, I know I have an artistic touch. This was a case of showing off. We've been watching 'Master Chef' on the telly which gave me a little boost to pull all the stops out and deliver something a little above par.

Here's the Salmon version I did a couple of days after: Living in the Ice Age: Salmon Supreme

TQD
    TQD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    This was a case of showing off. We've been watching 'Master Chef' on the telly which gave me a little boost to pull all the stops out and deliver something a little above par.
    That's too funny. My husband and I just discovered Master Chef on Hulu, and the other night he complimented me on how nice my dinner looked. I told him it was because we'd been watching Master Chef and I felt compelled to make it all pretty

... the poached egg yolk thing was the crowning glory on mine. Michelin Star? Puh!