Thread: Carbs for muscle page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

Carbs for muscle

Primal Fuel
    So I posted a thread referencing t nation, and people kept telling me they were "bro scientists" and knew nothing. Well this article is pretty damn scientific, and it states how insulin is good and bad. Good for promoting ribosomes to create protein, and bad for storing fat. So the question is, how many carbs do i need to gain lean muscle mass? I currently am aiming for 150, but usually get about ,130g. I eat plenty of protein (more than bodyweight) and fat.
    Im not an elite athlete, but im very focused on training, and i currently switched from bodyweight training (which i did for 3yrs and got really good at) to 5x5 stronglifts. I want to get a lot stronger and hopefully get some added mass.

Heres the reference, be sure to read it all before you criticize it please.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_same_day&cr=

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Go ask Jordan Feigenbaum in the Nutrition Forum at Startingstrength.com
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Carbs around (pre/post) workout has been promoted by lots of paleo athletes and in particular paleo books like "paleo for athletes". Its fine. However, I'm skeptical that your average joe hitting it hard 3x/week needs to take such a nuanced approach. I would think hitting your protein and caloric goals would cover 90% of your possible gains. Carbs help you pound more calories....thats the magic for gaining mass.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Carbs around (pre/post) workout has been promoted by lots of paleo athletes and in particular paleo books like "paleo for athletes". Its fine. However, I'm skeptical that your average joe hitting it hard 3x/week needs to take such a nuanced approach. I would think hitting your protein and caloric goals would cover 90% of your possible gains.
    If you get the nutrition in is far more important than when you get the nutrition in. Agree 100%.
    The Champagne of Beards

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Carbs around (pre/post) workout has been promoted by lots of paleo athletes and in particular paleo books like "paleo for athletes". Its fine. However, I'm skeptical that your average joe hitting it hard 3x/week needs to take such a nuanced approach. I would think hitting your protein and caloric goals would cover 90% of your possible gains. Carbs help you pound more calories....thats the magic for gaining mass.
    Yep +1

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Just by switching from body weight to starting strength you're going to see gains. I would doubt you see some increases in muscle with in the first month.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    I eat plenty of protein (more than bodyweight)

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    You probably get enough carbs from gluconeogenesis.

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    Yea I gotta agree with all of this.
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    You probably get enough carbs from gluconeogenesis.
    Maybe to survive, but probably not to perform or be in peak form. Best way to figure this out is to add carbs and see how you go.