Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not turning on the heat page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Not turning on the heat

Shop Now
    We are trying to see how long we can go without turning on the heat. Granted I'm in So Cal so it's not like flirting with death to leave the heat off, but it's starting to get uncomfortable. I ride a motorcycle and if I get chilled out riding and then come home to a cold house, it can take a long time to warm up again. I have a fancy sleeping bag that has a hole in the center to put your head through and wear like a down poncho so now I;m sitting around in that. Things are getting pretty ridiculous here. Does anybody else do crazy stuff like this? Sit in the dark? Keep the heat off? Cold showers not for health reasons?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Not me. I definitely enjoy creature comforts like heat and light. Its definitely too cold to go without heat here, but we use our woodstoves to heat the house.

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Way too cold in Alberta to keep the heat off, but I am a no lights kind of person. After I make dinner I usually shut off the lights and they stay off until the next day when I make dinner again. For some reason having lights on inside when it's dark outside makes me uncomfortable!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I live in the southern U.S. and when I lived alone (in Georgia) I never turned on the heat. Since I married, I turn on the heat, but we still keep it pretty cool (60F lately). I still usually turn it off during the day when I am home alone or if I am gone from the house. If I get too cold, I use a space heater since it is so much more efficient.

I find that overhydrating can make me feel really cold. Adding a tiny pinch of salt to water seems to help some. That and just not drinking more than I am thirsty for.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    Way too cold in Alberta to keep the heat off, but I am a no lights kind of person. After I make dinner I usually shut off the lights and they stay off until the next day when I make dinner again. For some reason having lights on inside when it's dark outside makes me uncomfortable!
    I'm in Alberta too... If you don't have the heat on right now you're asking for busted water pipes. I'm wearing a sweater at my desk and I'm still cold. C'est la vie.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I like my heat.

I grew up in a drafty farm house that just had a wood burning stove for heat and was never warm in the winter. Now, I don't mind wearing warm clothes inside but I am never cold if I can help it. Plus I have an older dog with arthritis and he gets achy if it is too cold. It was well below freezing here this morning, which is unusual for us, so the heat has been going non-stop this morning.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Wear a hat Diane, we lose so much heat through our head its unreal, or a headband!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I'm in Alberta too... If you don't have the heat on right now you're asking for busted water pipes. I'm wearing a sweater at my desk and I'm still cold. C'est la vie.
    At night my furnace is set at 15C, and the night before last my furnace ran all night long. That wind just sucked all the heat out of the house. It's better now, but I still find myself under a blanket every time I sit down for any length of time.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I live in Massachusetts. I grew up in a cold, old house and learned to wear thick socks and/or slippers, as well as scarves, hats, and sweatshirts. Now, in my own apartment, we keep the heat no higher than 65F while we're home, around 60 when we're out during the day, and lower it to 50 overnight, since we are bundled up in blankets & that's enough for the water to not freeze at least. We do all this to keep the heating costs low (gas, heating water for steam radiators; tons cheaper than oil). The cat is good at finding warm spots to sleep, so we don't have to worry about her.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Back when I was still living alone I had the heat set to 62 in the winter, and was never cold. My boyfriend has cold hands and feet, so the heat is up to 68 during the day now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast