Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Not turning on the heat page 6

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hate the cold but still try to minimize my heat usage. None at night, just huddle under a blanket but then again, I am in Egypt. When I go home next week, it will be a different story.

I have started using minimal lighting at night. Use a candle in my bedroom when I can and have installed F-Lux on my computer and ebook reader.

During the summer however, I hardly use AC except when I'm sleeping at night and have been known to run my car heater at full strength when it is over 100 F outside to help acclimate myself to hot weather.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    House will get moldy. Must have some kind of heat here in PNW.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Good point. That or dehumidifiers. Not sure if those are more energy efficient. I think I remember reading about some types that use very little/no energy.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Same thing with a lot of houses on the north coast of CA. Most are also poorly insulated and have inadequate heating systems. A friend of mine now lives in Minnesota and according to him the apartment we shared in SF was colder than his present home. Remember Mark Twain's quote about the coldest Winter he ever spent was Summer in SF.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Well, come by in a week and it might be shirtsleeve weather in Calgary. Or it might not. You never know. Chinooks are awesome.
    I'm convinced that dealing with 20-30 degree fluctuations over the course of a day or two messes the body up somehow. It's just so...unnatural. That said, I'm one of those dorks driving with the windows down when we get a chinook in Jan and the temp pops up to 6C

SB - this Past August wasn't even a good one, weather wise. I've been in Waterton camping when it's been in the mid-30's C...and I can assure you it's this cold there right now too

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this. I have books, artwork, and textiles that would not fare well, given the damp. I keep the thermostat at 55F through the winter, occasionally bumping it up to 60F for a couple of hours on very cold, wet evenings. That keeps the mildew at bay just fine. I have woolly socks, sweaters, and a down comforter, should I want additional warmth.

That said, my house has hot-water radiators, and I can't imagine not having radiant heat. It's the reason I chose this house over another, somewhat nicer, one, and I made the right choice. The cats think so, too; I passed through the dining room on the way to the kitchen earlier, and they are all draped over the top of the radiator (which was so hot I couldn't touch it).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've been looking into New Mexico. The area I've been looking at is at 8000 feet. I suppose it's pretty cold there, huh?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456