Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSH is creeping up page

jammies is offline Senior Member

TSH is creeping up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone;

My doctor checks my TSH regularly (and occasionally all the other thyroid labs as well, but not this time).

Over the last year, my values have gone from 1.5 to 2.2 and this time they are at 3.

Any thoughts on this? Does this suggest thyroid is slowly puttering out?

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    It could be. Maybe it's time to get a full thyroid panel along with sex hormones.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Willow16 is offline Member
    Make sure the dr. does a free t3 and free t4. So many do outdated tests rather than these.

How do you feel? I would think that since your TSH is climbing the doctor should look more closely.

Here's a quote from an article by Mary Shomon. It was through her information that I was able to get my hypothyroid diagnosis after years of being so sick and my TSH was below 3.

After noticing that patients who had TSH levels in the higher end of the normal range tended to go on to develop hypothyroidism more often than those in the lower end of the spectrum, researchers delved more fully into understanding the validity of the reference ranges in use. They found that the upper TSH normal range has traditionally included people who have mild thyroid disease, and their higher TSH levels skewed the standard curve, potentially making the reference range wider than it should be, and excluding some people who legitimately had a thyroid condition.

These findings led to the recommendation in January 2003 by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) that doctors "consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now."

In a statement from the AACE, Hossein Gharib, MD, FACE, and president of AACE at the time, said, "The prevalence of undiagnosed thyroid disease in the United States is shockingly high...The new TSH range from the AACE guidelines gives physicians the information they need to diagnose mild thyroid disease before it can lead to more serious effects on a patient's health - such as elevated cholesterol, heart disease, osteoporosis, infertility, and depression."

AACE cited as evidence the guidelines issued by the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, part of the Academy of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), and presented in their Laboratory Medicine Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Monitoring of Thyroid Disease. Late in 2002, the group concluded that "it is likely that the current upper limit of the population reference range is skewed by the inclusion of persons with occult thyroid dysfunction." In their guidelines, the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry reported that: "In the future, it is likely that the upper limit of the serum TSH euthyroid reference range will be reduced to 2.5 mIU/L because 95% of rigorously screened normal euthyroid volunteers have serum TSH values between 0.4 and 2.5 mIU/L." They also stated that "a serum TSH result between 0.5 and 2.0 mIU/L is generally considered the therapeutic target for a standard L-T4 replacement dose for primary hypothyroidism."

The TSH Reference Range Wars: What's "Normal?", Who is Wrong, Who is Right...And What Does It All Mean For You and Your Health?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Are you having it tested at the same time during the day each time? TSH can fluctuate up to three full points in a day.

That being said, I suggest a full thyroid panel- freeT4, freeT3, antibodies.And, are you experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What you need checked in addition to TSH:

T3
    T4
    rT3
    Testosterone
    Estrogen
    Cortisol
    DHEA
    Pregnenolone

Report back.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Are you having it tested at the same time during the day each time? TSH can fluctuate up to three full points in a day.

That being said, I suggest a full thyroid panel- freeT4, freeT3, antibodies.And, are you experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism?
    Most importantly...otherwise all the testing in the world is worthless. If you feels well you is well in this regard.

Good grief - 3 points in a day!! I have not been testing at the same time. I think the first two were in the late afternoon. This one was the morning.

He suggested we check again in a few months, but after Dec 31st my insurance will no longer cover this doc, so I may ask him for the full panel now.

As for symptoms, my main struggle continues to be fatigue, which I know is a symptom of hypothyroidism. But it has not worsened in the last few months.

I have been struggling with my weight lately. I had to go on some medication for a while that causes weight gain. Usually when I go off meds that cause weight gain for me, the weight just falls off. But this time it won't budge.
    It is incredibly frustrating. My skin and hair are not great, but not horrid.

So I'm not sure!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

I suggest trying to get the full thyroid panel now, if possible.

I suggest trying to get the full thyroid panel now, if possible.
    He's agreed to a compromise with retesting everything at the end of December. I guess it's only 2 weeks, so I'll hold out until then.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    He's agreed to a compromise with retesting everything at the end of December. I guess it's only 2 weeks, so I'll hold out until then.
    I'm glad he's willing to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast