Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Fruititarians (especially Durianrider) page 19

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mom always said, "pick your battles" and when it came to food she always said she wasn't a short order cook, she was a nurse. If you were choking she'd save you, but unless you were sick, dinner was dinner.

Dinner was what was offered, you didn't have to eat everything on the table but there was always something to eat. I went through phases with veggies, especially broccoli, where I'd love it then hate it and that was ok. No one had food forced down them but you weren't getting a completely new meal because you didn't like how the chicken looked at you.

If you didn't eat, your plate was left out and you could have it later before bed. I don't ever recall any of us willingly going to bed hungry. Now, you could be sent to bed without dinner but you really had to be screwing up to earn that, I can only remember it happening once.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    Someone with PKU. Body can't get rid of protein & it overloads the brain causing damage & sometimes death.
    So there are people born vegans.
    It seems to me, evolutionarily speaking, that those people are supposed to immediately die off so they don't pass their defective genetics onto anyone else. We allow the weak to thrive in our society. Hell, thanks to government aid, the weakest of us all have the most kids while the most responsible of us plan the most and have the least children. No wonder we're all fat, balding and blind by age 40.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    My next door neighbor is non-meat eater all his life, he is mid fifties, very fit and a runner, he never planned to be vegetarian then vegan, it started when he was a toddler, his parents tried to feed him meat and he just couldn't eat it, he spat it out, it was a daily struggle for him and his parents, he just couldn't eat the meat, this continued on and on until he was 12 years old, then his parents gave up and let him be... I heard similar story from a few vegetarians/vegans, they didn't chose to not eat meat, it just happened when they were too young to take an ethical or health stand.

This is why I believe during paleo times there must have been vegans (as dairy wasn't there so think vegetarians wasn't available) yes perhaps they didn't survive for long, but nevertheless you can say they were born naturally vegan. I agree if they had no other option to eat but meat, they would have eaten the meat not to starve, but in tropical places where they had lots of fruit, they had other options.
    growing up, there were very few meats i liked. i'd eat much more of the starch and salad that always came with dinner. as soon as i moved out i "became a vegetarian." it was MANY years before i realized i simply didn't like the badly over-cooked meat that was most often served at my mom's.

ditto her heart-wrenching scrambled eggs.

nobody is born a vegan.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

ditto her heart-wrenching scrambled eggs.
    This made me giggle a little. If only she had seen Gordon Ramsey's youtube video about how to make the best and creamiest scrambled eggs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by James Ming View Post
    Durian rider always mocks paleo/primal and claims to have gone through it himself to no avail, but i sounds to me like he made the same mistakes that many others do. He seems to talk about the paleo diet (im using the term in its broader context which i just described) interchangeably with the atkins, and thats wrong. Sounds to me that he was eating meat, fat, coffee, and meat all the time. He never experienced the REAL paleo lifestyle, which i think works best when vegetables are of primary focus, and meat is almost like a condiment. He claims to have grounds for criticizing paleo, but really, he can only criticize dr. Robert Atkins
    dr doesn't really post here anymore and i'm unsure what satisfaction it gives people to stalk him on youtube, but whatever?

i know atkins gets bashed here A LOT, but it's not just meat on top of meat with cream on the side. atkins brought me to primal and was very effective at helping me lose weight and regain health. i ate more vegetables on atkins (and now primal) then i did as a vegetarian.

I said that my parents punished me by starving me as Neckhammer posted that he did with his child/children, and that fostered an unhealthy relationship with food. I did not say what RichMahogany posted, which was that I believe that not having my every whim catered to would cause an eating disorder.
    how is missing one meal starving a normal western kid? one whose parents can afford food and at the very least internet? lol. when did the cooking parent become a short-order cook? i worked in restaurants for many years and heard a million times, "my kid will only eat x". it was usually something garbagey and starchy. so the kid had the control and was subsisting on junk food. small children can be tyrants if their parents allow it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I am grateful mum never 'Punished' me for not liking / not eating some foods, I could never drink milk, I hated it so much as a child, also boiled eggs, lucky she was OK and offered me alternative, never told me drink the milk/ eat the boiled egg or go to bed hungry.
    I can see a kid having issue with a food or two, but cooking more than one meal is a pain in the ass. If I had kids they would not have a choice. We never had a choice growing up and I went hungry on fish night and liver night until I learned to prepare my own foods. No big deal and a good life lesson that "people don't always cater to me".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I peg it to a sea change in parenting practices that began when the FCC permitted junk food advertisements to be shown during kids' programming. The kids began demanding that the parents buy them these things, and the parents began buying them, some more than others of course.

Now those kids are adults with kids of their own. They think that it is junk food that is the normal diet of a child, not the food is being served for dinner to the adults—if anything resembling an evening meal is served at all, because in lots of homes, when anyone is hungry, they eat something. No meals are served in many households. Eating is just a constant series of snacks to prevent "hunger" (ie, being at all hungry), a horrific condition that only third world people living in famine conditions experience.

So there are lots of families out there where the kids get chicken nuggets with french fries every day for supper. The parents think this is the natural way of eating for kids, and when they grow up they will naturally grow out of it. Or maybe the schools should teach the kids to eat right. And they think that if a kid decides not to eat what's served for dinner, the parent needs to fix something else for the kid.

Obviously this is a caricature, but there has been a major change of attitude toward the eating habits of children in just a generation.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Don't get me started on the schools. Our school has nutritional info all over the place and stuff, and there was a known case of a cereal bar being confiscated from a child, yet... every month they have the "FUN LUNCH" program through the school which consists of buying a FAST FOOD lunches for kids! And they send the forms back with the KIDS, and that's a frigging elementary school! I mean, a 7 yo is basically told by her teachers that fast food is FUN and has to eat along with all the kids whose parents bought into it.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I think I ate pizza and fries almost every day in high school. There was a dedicated pizza line.

M.

it's not just the tv adverts, it's also a sea change in eating patterns overall. with high-carb/low-fat people are "grazing" all day. women at my previous job were constantly nibbling on yoplait, cereal, pretzels, popcorn, and all kinds of grainy carbs. i brought my own food too, but it was meat and veg. i'd eat when i got a break and be done with it.

when i was a kid, we had 3 meals a day. weekday breakfast was usually just toast, tea and fruit (i know!) and no snacking before dinner because it would "ruin your appetite."

now people are sugar-hungry and protein-starved, but stuffing their faces with foods that will never satiate them.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast