Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leftover Safety page

RenegadeRN is offline Member

Leftover Safety

Primal Fuel
    I am really mad at myself! On Thanksgiving afternoon my cousin did a beautiful job frying a turkey. I asked for the bones and joints and golden skin while it was being sliced for the platter and brought them home and put them in the extra refrigerator in the garage.... Where they are -STILL!

Before I follow my first instinct, which is to toss the bag, I wondered if anyone thinks they might still be ok to use for bone broth.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Throw it away. Not primal to eat potentially toxic things. :-S
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Thanks for the feedback! I am very conscious ( too much so per my husband) of time limits on leftovers etc.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Too long, throw it out. Some people, specifically the militant Bulletproof diet people and people who are concerned about mycotoxins, would say not to eat leftovers at all. I say that within a few days they are probably fine, depending on what it is and how it is stored of course, but I wouldn't want to eat something that is starting to get old and might taste bad of have high levels of something unpleasant growing in it. Even if you heat it enough to kill anything that may be on it, after a certain point they have done their damage, and killing them can't reverse that.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I would toss it too.

I'm generally in the 3-4 days camp, depending on what kind of leftovers we're talking, but it has been longer than that and it's not worth taking the risk.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

spursberry is offline Member
    Extending this - and trying to save starting a whole new thread - what are peoples views on Best Before Dates? Specifically meat? Say I had a steak or chicken that went off today (5th dec) how long after the BBE would you still cook it? And how long on top of that until you eat it?
    UK PBer

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I've been known to leave it a day or two past expiry, I would then cook it thoroughly (no rareness) and serve piping hot straight away, preferably no leftovers. Never made us sick.

As for those above, I couldn't smell your turkey but it was already cooked and was stored in the fridge for less than a week. I think unless it actually looked and smelled bad I would have made the broth. But I can see I'm outvoted and you've probably ditched it by now. Too bad.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I've been known to leave it a day or two past expiry, I would then cook it thoroughly (no rareness) and serve piping hot straight away, preferably no leftovers. Never made us sick.

As for those above, I couldn't smell your turkey but it was already cooked and was stored in the fridge for less than a week. I think unless it actually looked and smelled bad I would have made the broth. But I can see I'm outvoted and you've probably ditched it by now. Too bad.
    Agreed.... cooking it for as long as you would need to to make a bone broth, or a soup, would have killed anythin that would make you ill.

I find the expiration date issue relatively humorous...... I find it totally comical that bright, intelligent people will toss a perfectly good item just because there is a date printed on the package.... For example, an aspirin is perfectly acceptable on the date printed on the package, and the next day.... toss it, it isn't good now..... What kind of magic is this that makes a drug effective on one day and poof.... the next day, it's curing powers are reduced to dust...... laughable.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    A week? Bah, I'd use it still. That's about my limit for anything though.

For fresh meat, I try to freeze it within a couple days of purchase. We usually use it within a couple of weeks, so I don't worry about expiration dates. I try not to have it in the fridge more than 4 days total, as it tends to go bad over that. I go by appearance & smell, not labels.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I usually look at something closely, and if there isn't anything growing on it (after a week there usually is), I boil it hard. Broth can be salvaged by scraping off the surface, but solid food ends up getting thrown out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast