Thread: Bone Marrow Oyster Soup (Paleo Masterpiece!) page

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member

Bone Marrow Oyster Soup (Paleo Masterpiece!)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The other day I was studying common nutrient deficiencies (and referencing optimal ranges in the Perfect Health Diet book), and started working out combinations that would yield the most nutrients in the smallest amount of food (meal nutrient density).

Suddenly this combination jumped into my head and it sounded good, so I hit the kitchen. The moment my tongue hit the spoon I knew I had stumbled upon a true work of paleo genius. The wife was skeptical but as soon as her tongue hit the spoon she exclaimed OMG!!! It's like a mouth orgasm, something you'd find in an expensive restaurant in France, rich. I shouldn't share the secret formula with you people, but what the hell...

1) Slowly heat a few cups of milky-white beef bone marrow broth,
    2) Plus a spoon of snobby grass-fed butter from France,
    3) Add about 200g of oysters and cook until they curl (a few minutes),
    4) Season with minced garlic, sea salt, and turmeric (until broth goes from white to light yellow/green),
    5) Add some equally snobby boutique grass-fed cream from French cows, put the lid on and let to simmer 5min.

soup.jpg

Hits a lot of tricky micronutrients where most people are deficient...
    * Oysters meet daily iodine and selenium.
    * Oysters meet weekly zinc and copper.
    * Broth provides calcium, collagen.
    * Butter and cream provide K2.
    * Meets meets 3/4 daily iron and 1/2 vitamin C.
    * Sodium.

~ 750 calories, 60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carb.

Actually, I had a sort of "vitamin-high" for about an hour after the mouth-orgasm ended.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Phenomenal!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Certainly sounds very nutrient dense! Where is the vitamin C coming from? The oysters? Also, does heat destroy vitamin C, or can it withstand some cooking?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I will have to try that. Growing up, my Mom often made "Oyster Stew" which is similar but doesn't include the bone broth. Your version looks yummy.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    I'm not even the biggest oyster fan, but in this rich broth they were great.

The vit C is from oysters, bone broth, garlic.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have made soup for ever out of fish broth and cockels and mussels ( or whatever shell fish i happen to have on hand ) with maybe some butter and some karengo ( a seaweed we get here ) as garnish. never added cream but that will be something to try next time. oysters i could do. all i need to do is go find some.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Great idea! I'm going to try this. Now if I could only sneak some liver in to that meal, it would be nutritional nirvana
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    some blue cod livers would go nicely i reckon.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    If I can get some oysters I'll give this a go. I spent two days making the best ever bone broth and yesterday I poured it into a sieve and absent mindedly watched it go down the sink. Left me with a sieve full of bone and veggie bits. Bit annoying to say the least.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    If I can get some oysters I'll give this a go. I spent two days making the best ever bone broth and yesterday I poured it into a sieve and absent mindedly watched it go down the sink. Left me with a sieve full of bone and veggie bits. Bit annoying to say the least.
    I hate to admit it, but I have actually done the exact same thing. So annoying!!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html