Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: After Two Years on Paleo Diet My Cholesterol Numbers Look Very Bad page 9

westes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I don't really agree with all this testing and feeding into yet more testing obsessions isn't something that I think is good for you At All seeing your overreaction to the cholesterol numbers. That being said:

You're just looking for whether the food you eat sends you over 140. People have these various testing protocols and IMHO they are stupid because they are tests. Where the rubber meets the road is how you react to the food you choose to eat. So if you were, heaven help you, going to test, you would test every 15 minutes after you eat for 2-3 hours until you see that your BS comes back down. You'll learn certain foods and you won't need to test them again, and you'll learn your curve and not necessarily need to test every 15 minutes to catch the peak. And then you will put the whole thing away because the chances you have a blood sugar issue are probably close to zero.

Okay, to balance all that, read The Last Well Person by Nortin Hadler. All about how well people should not turn themselves into sick people.
    I think most people could do a lot worse than buying a glucose monitor and trying to understand the relationship between what they eat and their blood glucose levels! If not taken to some unhealthy extreme, I think it would be really important to know, at a young-enough age, that your diet is taking you over that 140 level you mentioned (or whatever the real number should be for a dietary glucose target post-meal). Rather than subjecting yourself to arterial damage for 15 years and having a nasty heart attack, wouldn't it be better to adjust diet and lifestyle and maintain a healthy blood glucose level for those same 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why bother with all the testing? Why not just eat more eggs, oysters, seaweed, liver and way more potatoes and less added saturated fat. After a while, get another cholesterol/blood sugar test and see how you did.
    I have the scientist / engineer mindset on these things. Call it a personality defect.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Westes, in terms of thyroid: total T3 would also be useful, maybe antibodies too. My husband's TSH was only slightly out of range but his doctor also checked his thyroid antibodies and they turned out to be very elevated. His doctor did very extensive testing: DHEA, B12, testosterone a bunch of other stuff including what you mentioned. My husband has been eating mostly primal for 3 yrs and his cholesterol has gotten worse too. In his case the thyroid seems to be the culprit.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    I have the scientist / engineer mindset on these things. Call it a personality defect.
    I think it's an asset. The LDL thing could be nothing, but then again, small particle LDL doesn't sound so great.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    A few thoughts:

1. It is controversial whether dietary intake of saturated fat impacts LDL levels, so it may not work to lower fat.

2. Any chance you drink french press coffee or any other type of unfiltered coffee? That has been shown to really raise LDL in some people.

3. Have a coronary calcium scan. Plaque buildup is what causes heart attacks, so If your vessels look fine, then you need not worry for a while. The lipid studies are not great as far as predicting heart disease. Half of people of people admitted to hospitals for heart attack have perfect lipid levels, so we really don't know the whole story.

4. Have your doctor check your CRP or hsCRP values. Inflammation is bad for your heart.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    This entire thread is fatally flawed because it assumes there is a "correct" cholesterol number we all should be shooting for.

Get your thyroid tested. It is a far better indicator for health. I challenge you to find one person with heart disease that has great thyroid numbers (upper quartile of 'normal').
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This entire thread is fatally flawed because it assumes there is a "correct" cholesterol number we all should be shooting for.

Get your thyroid tested. It is a far better indicator for health. I challenge you to find one person with heart disease that has great thyroid numbers (upper quartile of 'normal').
    Thyroid health is important, no doubt.. But my dad has perfect thyroid function and pretty bad heart disease. His brothers were the same.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Thyroid health is important, no doubt.. But my dad has perfect thyroid function and pretty bad heart disease. His brothers were the same.
    Says who?

Most docs can't interpret a cholesterol test. They certainly can't interpret a thyroid test. Most docs don't even prescribe a full thyroid - if you don't have T3, T4, rT3 and TSH, you're wasting your time. Furthermore, the thyroid ranges are simply based on a bell curve. Since most people getting their thyroid tested with a full thyroid panel suspect they have a thyroid issue, if your dad falls into "normal" ranges, that means he's as sick as the normal sick thyroid patient. You should be in the upper quartile, not the norm.

I'd like to see his numbers. This is a good start:

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    A few thoughts:
    1. It is controversial whether dietary intake of saturated fat impacts LDL levels, so it may not work to lower fat.
    What I can't help but notice is how many people report sensitivity to particular saturated fats. MANY people seem to report that coconut oil (and presumably then also coconut milk/cream) greatly elevate LDL, yet those same people seem to tolerate other sources. Some people tolerate large numbers of eggs, and some don't.

It looks like our modern science just doesn't understand saturated fats very well (yet). The evidence seems to be piling up against simple carbohydrates / sugar, but I'm guessing it will be another 10 to 15 years before we really understand saturated fats well. In the meantime, I think I have to just experiment and test until I find some healthy balance.

2. Any chance you drink french press coffee or any other type of unfiltered coffee? That has been shown to really raise LDL in some people.
    I love coffee but have stopped it altogether. It makes me feel very sleepy maybe starting 90 minutes after I drink it. I read somewhere that it can mimic wheat's effect on the gut, so I just went cold turkey.

3. Have a coronary calcium scan. Plaque buildup is what causes heart attacks, so If your vessels look fine, then you need not worry for a while. The lipid studies are not great as far as predicting heart disease. Half of people of people admitted to hospitals for heart attack have perfect lipid levels, so we really don't know the whole story.
    Up to now I avoided this test because the old technology gave you equivalent of 30 chest xrays of radiation, and much of that was going into areas that are the most susceptible to radiation. Thanks to posts someone else made in this thread, I discovered just now that the newer technology based on EBCT delivers the equivalent of only two chest xrays, and the positioning of the device also avoids the most sensitive organs:

CT Calcium Scoring & Radiation Cancer Risk: EBCT Vs. 64 Slice - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

So I agree this sounds like a no brainer. And failure to find any calcifications would certainly buy me more time to figure out if I can still eat healthy and also get LDL lower.

4. Have your doctor check your CRP or hsCRP values. Inflammation is bad for your heart.
    Noted.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    Here is what I see on my blood panel:

1. Vitamin D 25-OH TOTAL 51
    Vitamin D 25-OH D3 51
    Vitamin D 25-OH D4 < 4

2. Thyroid TSH 1.65
    T4, FREE Thyroxine, FREE, DIRECT 1.5
    Don't see other markers

3. Fasting Glucose 115

4. Iron?
    Hemoglobin 16.5
    Hematocrit 48.7
    Ferritin ?

What panels should I be asking for other than thyroid?
    Reference ranges, for each result, are important as each lab can have different ranges.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast