Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: After Two Years on Paleo Diet My Cholesterol Numbers Look Very Bad page 3

westes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I'm thinking that a better action to stop weight loss would have been adding some safe starches to your diet (i.e. potatoes, white rice, taro, winter squashes, bananas, etc.) Don't get me wrong - I think eating good fats is important, but in trying to stop weight loss, you may have over done it a bit. That said, your numbers are not terrible, unless, of course, you are buying the CW stance, which is pushed on us endlessly, when, in fact, there is no evidence that a high fat diet causes heart disease.
    I think my last blood test tells me I am in no position to lecture anyone, so I am open to all ideas. But I wanted to try a nutritional experiment. I wanted to convert to a hardcore paleo diet and I wanted to strictly avoid any kind of carb that didn't have fiber intact. I stayed with leafy greens, fruits, whole veggies, etc. I allow some sweet potatoes too. But I really wanted to make a go at low carb, high saturated fat, and I was hoping to get a miracle I didn't get.

So now I am back to drawing board. I probably should get a nutritionist to help me add calories so I don't end up starving again as the saturated fat gets cut back a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    +1. I made coconut a staple. Ate tons of shredded coconut, coconut oil, fresh coconut and coconut milk. My TC skyrocketed to almost 400. HDL and LDL both went up dramatically. Ratios actually improved except I could not find any research which suggested my ultra high HDL was beneficial. Stopped the coconut binge and cholesterol levels went back to baseline.
    What is your source for saturated fat now, and how much of it are you still getting? Are you using any cream / dairy fat?

I've heard three people now tell me that they could eat animal based saturated fats without any issue, but coconut oil made their cholesterol soar. TC of 400 sounds terrifying. What did that go back to without coconut?

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Numbers moved the same direction as most people on paleo -- HDL up, TG down, LDL up, Total-C up. Your TG/HDL ratio improved from 2.2 to 1.1 (massive improvement). This ratio is the most important metric in many people's opinion.

LDL matters if it's small dense particle, don't know enough about particle counts to comment. But here are some ideas from a book I'm reading. It says if LDL is high despite an optimal diet look at 1) iodine or selenium deficiency (iodine materially lowers total C, LDL and TG), 2) deficiency in copper or zinc (copper deficiency is a common cause of high LDL), 3) insufficient exposure to sun, 4) endotoxemia from gut dysbiosis, or bacterial infection.
    I'm taking salted / brined salmon eggs every day at lunch, with a salad, so I think I am getting plenty of salt.

How does one diagnose endotoxemia from gut dysbiosis? And in general how can one test that the gut is performing optimally?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's only terrifying if it means anything. Having your car door open on the highway is terrifying. Having it open in your driveway with the engine off sounds fine. As far as anyone knows, high TC in the absence of refined flour, etc., is as safe as opening your car door in the driveway, if you get my analogy. In women especially, high TC correlates with better longevity, and many women through their eighties and nineties maintain TC levels in excess of 300 with little issue.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Westes, you said you are strict paleo, but are you eating grass-fed meats and pastured eggs with regards to eating paleo? If not, I would assume that will have an impact on your LDL levels.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    How is your exercise schedule? Exercise will help to lower your LDL. Especially weight training and sprinting. but also walking for a few hours a week will help.

How much meat and fat do you eat. I'd advise eating more veggies and a little less meat/fat. Try to hit your target protein but not much more, fill up the rest with veggies. Try it for a while. on your weight lifting days you can eat more protein.
    Eggs and coconut are adding up to your cholesterol, try to minimize the intake of them for a while. I eat about maximum 3 to 4 eggs per day in total (so that included the one that goes on the meatloaf or the two that are going into banana pancakes) and my cholesterol has always been nicely low.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's only terrifying if it means anything. Having your car door open on the highway is terrifying. Having it open in your driveway with the engine off sounds fine. As far as anyone knows, high TC in the absence of refined flour, etc., is as safe as opening your car door in the driveway, if you get my analogy. In women especially, high TC correlates with better longevity, and many women through their eighties and nineties maintain TC levels in excess of 300 with little issue.
    If I had large particle LDL and lots of HDL I wouldn't be concerned about total cholesterol. But I don't have that situation. I have lots of particles, and lots of small particles, and that situation is associated with heart disease.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    There is at least one anecdotal report showing that particle count may not be the be-all-end-all number as it currently is widely believed to be:
    Arizona Sun Family Medicine: Does LDL-P Matter?

A few years ago, particle size was the thing everyone was concerned with. Now it is particle count. Who's to say that in another few years another metric won't be the thing that we are told to be concerned with.

I also had elevated cholesterol in the recent past. About a year ago, maybe more, my total was over 300. When I had it checked a few months ago, it was back down to 218 total. The main thing that changed was that my stress level went down drastically. I don't think I changed my diet all that much honestly. If you are stressed, try working on that in any way you can. Yoga and meditation are helpful if you can't directly effect changes to the things that cause you stress (relationships, jobs, etc.). Also, keep in mind that intense exercise and fasting are stressors. If you are doing too much of either one, the cumulative effect can be too much stress when other sources of stress are taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Westes, you said you are strict paleo, but are you eating grass-fed meats and pastured eggs with regards to eating paleo? If not, I would assume that will have an impact on your LDL levels.
    I'm buying grass fed beef, but I'm sure some of the meats are slipping through that are not grass fed.

Pasteured eggs are a joke. I did a long examination of the practices of commercial "organic" chicken farms that make the claim they are pasteured, and they are feeding all of those chickens wheat. They let the chickens forage, but when push comes to shove the chicken is deriving 50%+ of its calories from grains and from wheat grains.

There is an organization locally that sells only grass fed and pasteured products. I inspected or asked questions to every one of their chicken farmers, and every single one of them failed. None of them raise their chickens the way a natural bird like a junglefowl would eat. So while we both share the goal of finding pasteured eggs, I am here to tell you that people are not being honest about what they are selling 95% of the time. I have decided the only way to get a paleo egg is to raise your own chickens and feed them grass fed beef, wild-caught fish, lots of insects, sprouting grains, etc. And be prepared for that to cost about 10 times as much per egg, in feed costs alone. The reason commercial farmers don't feed chickens that kind of diet is that no one could afford a $15 carton of eggs.

Another area that is a total joke is salmon. 90%+ of salmon sold in stores is NOT wild-caught Pacific Salmon. Anything that says "Atlantic" is farm raised and they feed them grains. MOST of what is called Pacific Salmon is also not wild-caught. Yet all of these products are filled with deceptive words trying to make you believe the fish are "organic" or "wild" when they are being fed "organic grains" in large pens in the "wild ocean environment" which usually means in a coastal bay connected somehow to an ocean.

There is a major scam ongoing trying to sell "organic" meats to unsuspecting buyers. I try to be careful, but even when you ask the right questions, sometimes no one can give you the right answer. And I'm not prepared to raise my own chickens yet. But I may get there.
    Last edited by westes; 12-03-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    How is your exercise schedule? Exercise will help to lower your LDL. Especially weight training and sprinting. but also walking for a few hours a week will help.
    I am planning to add high intensity sprints and swims about three times a week. Getting discipline to not drop that schedule is tough for me, but I agree this might help.

I want to alternate the high intensity days with weight lifting to gain muscle mass.

How much meat and fat do you eat. I'd advise eating more veggies and a little less meat/fat. Try to hit your target protein but not much more, fill up the rest with veggies. Try it for a while. on your weight lifting days you can eat more protein.
    Eggs and coconut are adding up to your cholesterol, try to minimize the intake of them for a while. I eat about maximum 3 to 4 eggs per day in total (so that included the one that goes on the meatloaf or the two that are going into banana pancakes) and my cholesterol has always been nicely low.
    The problem here is that vegetables that have the fiber intact tend to not have a lot of calories. I can eat an entire bowl of green spinach and that is about 50 calories. So if I cut out the fat too much, I really lose calories. So in my bowl of spinach salad, I'm adding fish eggs and a lot of olive oil.

For lunch, I might have steak/pork/fish and two servings of veggies.

I'm having one egg in the morning with breakfast. My guess is there is about one or two eggs in other things I eat.

But I'll bet the amount of coconut milk and cream I am consuming really load up the cholesterol. I think I need to have a nutritionist add that all up for me.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast