Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After Two Years on Paleo Diet My Cholesterol Numbers Look Very Bad page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    I think I have always had a failure to thrive. I had a terrible wheat sensitivity (might have been celiac because it was extreme) that used to make me extremely ill. After I got off wheat I stopped being deathly ill, but failure to thrive means in general I suffer from a "brain fog" and lack of energy. If I go without food and literally just fast/starve, that clears quickly and I get a lot of mental clarity and energy. I wonder if my gut is still reacting to some other food.

I went on Paleo to try to improve my energy levels, improve muscle tone, and hopefully tackle cardio issues. It certainly improved muscle tone a lot. I can't say it changed my energy levels substantially. The cardio is so far a disaster.
    Well done then on eliminating the wheat and grains then, it sounds like that has definitely helped your state of health. Also good improvements on your muscle tone, it's all progress and considering that you have never enjoyed good health previously it may take quite a long time to nurture your body and bring it up to an even better condition.

A few thoughts:

You likely need to focus on the most healing and nutrient-dense foods possible such as bone broth.

Would cooking your fruits and veges make them easier on your digestion?

Your breakfast looks to me as if it could benefit from some protein, maybe add an egg or leftover meat, or make a banana pancake.

I'm wondering why you find the need to sweeten foods, are you not finding them sweet enough?

Good on you for working to better your health, good luck.

Wilhemina is offline Junior Member
    I think Annieh's suggestions are good and she has a point about the sweetener. The craving for sweet things can actually represent or mask a craving for food. I'm thin too, and lost weight on the palaeo diet which I didn't need to lose because I was taking everything to heart on the blog and the forum without considering that actually I wasn't someone who needed to cut the carbs.

Given that you say your energy levels are no better, I'm wondering if, in fact, you are simply eating enough? If you are putting stress on your body by not providing it with enough fuel, could that be having an impact on your readings?

But look, I'm not a doctor and I don't know all your details. I just know that I eat LOADS MORE food on a primal diet than I did on a conventional one. And I still weigh less than before but have bags of energy and none of the minor health issues that previously plagued me.

Maybe someone can offer a more scientific insight that will help you. Best of luck on your journey.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking that a better action to stop weight loss would have been adding some safe starches to your diet (i.e. potatoes, white rice, taro, winter squashes, bananas, etc.) Don't get me wrong - I think eating good fats is important, but in trying to stop weight loss, you may have over done it a bit. That said, your numbers are not terrible, unless, of course, you are buying the CW stance, which is pushed on us endlessly, when, in fact, there is no evidence that a high fat diet causes heart disease.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Those were my numbers, too, last time I checked. My HDL was higher, but it was high to start, went from 55-ish to 90-ish. Your HDL almost doubled, that's pretty awesome.

But I had also added coconut oil, which is known to raise LDL to horriffic levels. My numbers were great on bacon and tallow, etc., so I've cut out the coconut for now and will retest soon.

So if you're using coconut oil, maybe try dropping that and retest in a few months.
    +1. I made coconut a staple. Ate tons of shredded coconut, coconut oil, fresh coconut and coconut milk. My TC skyrocketed to almost 400. HDL and LDL both went up dramatically. Ratios actually improved except I could not find any research which suggested my ultra high HDL was beneficial. Stopped the coconut binge and cholesterol levels went back to baseline.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    Total Cholesterol 251
    Triglycerides 60 // Triglycerides down which is good
    HDL 53 // HDL up but not enough
    LDL 186 // This is nightmare....VERY bad news
    Cholesterol/HDL 4.7 // Improvement but barely

Total particle count LDL-P 2214 // this is also a nightmare....
    Numbers moved the same direction as most people on paleo -- HDL up, TG down, LDL up, Total-C up. Your TG/HDL ratio improved from 2.2 to 1.1 (massive improvement). This ratio is the most important metric in many people's opinion.

LDL matters if it's small dense particle, don't know enough about particle counts to comment. But here are some ideas from a book I'm reading. It says if LDL is high despite an optimal diet look at 1) iodine or selenium deficiency (iodine materially lowers total C, LDL and TG), 2) deficiency in copper or zinc (copper deficiency is a common cause of high LDL), 3) insufficient exposure to sun, 4) endotoxemia from gut dysbiosis, or bacterial infection.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Just because your LDL is up may not mean anything bad. Your last blood test was two years ago which is hardly a trend. Your LDL levels are the total amount of cholesterol in your LDL particles. The size of the particles is what matters. Large is good and small/dense is bad. I would get retested and take it from there. Have you had your mineral levels checked? Personally, I wouldn't be worried.
    You make these assertions as though they are established facts. The more research you do, the more you realize that there is no concensus regarding lipid risk factors. Even some of the highly regarded scientific oriented folks like Peter Attia have been all over the place on this subject.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Even some of the highly regarded scientific oriented folks like Peter Attia have been all over the place on this subject.
    Attia had a presentation where he asked the important question -- if on a paleo diet every single metric moves in the right direction except LDL, does it really matter…meaning is high LDL on a paleo diet actually a risk factor? If it's fructose and omega-6 and other crap that oxidizes LDL, then what does it matter for paleo eaters?

But you're right, it's an interesting question and something he should dig into. That said, I bet 10 years from now we'll know that high LDL from healthy things like coconut oil is a good thing, and that high LDL from things like vegetable oil is a bad thing.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Wild humans keep their cholesterol down with parasitic infestations, so there's always that...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

westes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well done then on eliminating the wheat and grains then, it sounds like that has definitely helped your state of health. Also good improvements on your muscle tone, it's all progress and considering that you have never enjoyed good health previously it may take quite a long time to nurture your body and bring it up to an even better condition.

A few thoughts:

You likely need to focus on the most healing and nutrient-dense foods possible such as bone broth.
    This is something a nutritionist would need to help me identify and structure. I'm very open to trying that.

I will say the one time I tried to make bone broth it tasted horrible, but I think this reflects my lack of experience.

If you know some Paleo nutritionists you like, feel free to name drop.

Would cooking your fruits and veges make them easier on your digestion?
    I certainly cook the veggies. I guess cooking fruits isn't going to remove any fructose, and it's that fructose that is the suspect element. I think cooking the fruit would destroy antioxidants, and it might actually make the fructose absorb faster by breaking down the fiber in the fruit. Just speculating....

Your breakfast looks to me as if it could benefit from some protein, maybe add an egg or leftover meat, or make a banana pancake.
    I get a LOT of protein. Here is a typical breakfast for me:

1) Slice of turkey
    2) Slice of smoked salmon
    3) Egg
    4) 1 Cup of whole fruit (measured), drowned in coconut milk or coconut creme (REALLY RICH) or organic whipping cream

Usually it's after I have that bowl of fruit that I start to slow down.

But as you can see I have plenty of protein, and I vary the sources.

I'm wondering why you find the need to sweeten foods, are you not finding them sweet enough?
    Well some foods are truly tasteless without a sweetener. Any kind of bread or pancake from coconut flour is horrible without a sweetener. When I whip up cream, I find it doesn't have enough taste until I add some vanilla and sweetener. I have started making breads using blanched almond flour (fantastic bread too I might add) and with sweetener that becomes really delicious. I could train myself to live without, but if I can get the sweetener without a cost to my health why not enjoy it?

The other point is that I have to convince other people in this household to eat food on my diet. I'm competing against the processed foods industry, which loads its products with sweetener. I want to have my bread compete well against commercial breads based on wheat flours otherwise I will be facing a household revolt. I have gotten very good at mixing different sweeteners in the right combinations to create flavors anyone would accept.

westes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhemina View Post
    I think Annieh's suggestions are good and she has a point about the sweetener. The craving for sweet things can actually represent or mask a craving for food. I'm thin too, and lost weight on the palaeo diet which I didn't need to lose because I was taking everything to heart on the blog and the forum without considering that actually I wasn't someone who needed to cut the carbs.

Given that you say your energy levels are no better, I'm wondering if, in fact, you are simply eating enough? If you are putting stress on your body by not providing it with enough fuel, could that be having an impact on your readings?
    I did not make up for lost carb calories until about six months into the diet. When I finally jumped into coconut oil, coconut milk, and cream, I stopped the weight loss completely. I get plenty of calories now. In fact, I think step one here is going to be to get a nutritional assessment of what percentage of my calories come from saturated fat, and probably I need to start cutting back. I think I went overboard there to gain calories and that may be part of what causes my bad cholesterol numbers.

I'm just really disappointed. I thought the formula to good blood chemistry was going to be as simple as 1) cut out sugars and grains; 2) add lots of saturated fat. For me, that isn't working. It looks like reality is more complex.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast