Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: After Two Years on Paleo Diet My Cholesterol Numbers Look Very Bad page 12

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    I agree cholesterol by itself doesn't measure anything important. However, there are a growing number of studies that suggest the number of LDL particles - regardless of their size - does predict risk of death from heart disease.
    there have been numerous studies showing all sorts of correlations to all sorts of things. do you have studies showing causation?

Since I only got this large particle number after starting to drink coconut milk and cream like water, it's a reasonable experiment to play around with the amounts I eat and see how that affects the result.
    as i said earlier, it takes time for the body to find equilibrium with its cholesterol production and cholesterol you consume. how long have you been chugging cream?

Your statement that genes have nothing to do with heart disease is just wrong. If you feed large amounts of cholesterol or saturated fat to a large population, about 75% of those won't get significantly worse blood test results for LDL or particle counts. But 25% of the population are what they call "high responders" and they do get significantly worse results.
    which means what? how long was the study? what were the subjects consuming for "cholesterol"? canola oil or salmon? again, a short study proves nothing.

Some of these people have "familial hypercholesterolimia".
    you're correct. that's' genetic. there is still no proof it causes cvd. it often runs hand-in-hand with high blood pressure which DOES cause heart attacks.
    At very least, I appear to be in the responder group. For people in the responder group, I think it is very very irresponsible to tell them that genetics don't matter.
    have you been diagnosed with "familial hypercholesterolemia"? if not, genetics don't matter. the medical community blames all sorts of stuff on genetics so people feel hopeless. type 2 diabetes and obesity can both be controlled with proper diet and exercise. for free. no damn meds.

please stop stressing.

I think you are going way beyond Paleo - and approaching some kind of religion - when you start to say things like "genes don't matter and eat as much fat as you feel like eating." I don't think you have to believe anything like that to be Paleo.
    as far as the fat, i never said any such thing.

not to bicker, but i follow primal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Sorry... didn't read thru all the responses, but based on your question I would:
    1 - limit the coconut milk/cream. Stick to real whole foods (whole coconut) and use the milk/cream sparingly as a condiment. No need to load up on it every day! Meats, veggies, fruits should be your staples (with healthy fats for cooking, etc.)
    2 - How about exercise? Especially moving frequently at a slow pace... try walking a few miles over the course of each day. Plus add in weights a couple times per week & sprinting 1 time per week.

cyberic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    Which of those two do you think gives the best explanation and I'll go find that one. If you have a URL great.
    I liked them both. The Primal Shift podcast can be found here:

http://theprimalshift.com.au/tps-11-...h-jimmy-moore/

The Bulletproof Exec podcast can be found here:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/69-cl...h-jimmy-moore/

Jimmy gets a bit more into the weeds with Dave on the BPE podcast. He does also reference the inflammation testing which can be done; I think it was hsPCR markers as a guide. I'm just getting into this a bit more as my recent cholesterol numbers changed after quitting the statin much to the consternation of my GP after migrating to PB over the last 6-9 months. I'm happy, she is not, but for now at least, I think I am still the customer in this relationship... but I digress... Enjoy!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberic View Post
    I liked them both. The Primal Shift podcast can be found here:

TPS 11: Cholesterol Clarity with Jimmy Moore | The Primal Shift

The Bulletproof Exec podcast can be found here:

#69 Clearing Up Cholesterol with Jimmy Moore – Podcast

Jimmy gets a bit more into the weeds with Dave on the BPE podcast. He does also reference the inflammation testing which can be done; I think it was hsPCR markers as a guide. I'm just getting into this a bit more as my recent cholesterol numbers changed after quitting the statin much to the consternation of my GP after migrating to PB over the last 6-9 months. I'm happy, she is not, but for now at least, I think I am still the customer in this relationship... but I digress... Enjoy!
    You are thinking about your relationship all wrong....what you are is the EMPLOYER.

westes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Westes, did you listen to the Kresser podcast?

One of the things I remember he said is if your LDL-P is high he recommends eating a Paleo/ Mediterranean type. Lots of veggies and unsaturated fats like olive oil. So I think you are right to drop the coconut and cream. Husband used to put half and half in his coffee now he makes milk coffee; warmed lowfat milk with gelatin. He's no longer adding saturated fat to foods.
    Yes, since I have linked extensively to Chris Kresser's pages in this discussion, you can be sure I have read his articles, and I did listen to podcast last night as well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112