Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 'New Paleo' Guidelines What do you think? page

tatertot is offline Senior Member

'New Paleo' Guidelines What do you think?

Primal Fuel
    From Free the Animal:

Let's make it really simple. I could shoot you tons of research, references, etc. Best you just give it a whirl for 30 days or more, see how you feel. Any Qs, drop 'em in comments. Calories count, but we needn't bother counting them. This ought 100% alleviate any need for that (for most folks, anyway). Tons of folks are doing great with this style and it's easy and flexible, with tons of options.

1. REPLACE all wheat and other gluten grains (barley & rye) from bread, pasta, cereals WITH white rice, beans, and potatoes (or other starchy veggies) as your "staple" foods and substrates for your proteins (meat, fish, shellfish, fowl, veggies).

2. If you do bread and pasta (but best not often), get gluten free. Whole Foods has a lot of varieties, increasing all the time. I particularly like anything by Udi or Glutino (their crackers are the bomb). Udi and Delicious Gluten-Free Foods | Glutino & Gluten-Free Pantry. But stay away from all the sweet stuff (cakes, cookies, etc).

3. Corn tortillas are fine, too.

4. Minimize ADDING fat to stuff, as well as sugar. Eat fruit for sweet; cook with butter, ghee, lard, tallow, bacon drippings, coconut oil, red palm oil, or extra virgin olive oil. My favorite of the later is the Kalamata Greek Olive Oil from Trader Joe's. Dump all industrial processed oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, corn, etc). One exception is high oleic sunflower oil (often called "high heat"). Completely different fat profile than regular sunflower oil and it's not GMO, but natural plant breeding. Also, avocado and macadamia nut oil are fine ($$$). 90% of the time, I only use OO raw, on salads or a little drizzle on meat/veggies.

5. Cooking white rice. You can use whatever (basmati, jasmine, etc.) but strangely enough, Uncle Ben's original parboiled rice is the most healthful on a number of levels. Way more nutrition and the parboiling process forms something called "resistant starch" that feeds your healthful gut bacteria critters. To up things even further, cook rice with chicken stock (or beef, or vegetable, or mushroom, etc.). Kitchen Basics is THE BEST and I have tried them all (you can do your own stocks...but pain in the ass). Once cooked, put the leftover rice in the fridge or freezer, rather than letting it sit in the cooker. This forms even more resistant starch. RS, in addition to feeding your critters, also blunts blood glucose spikes significantly by slowing the rate of digestion.

6. Stay away from canned beans. Do them yourself the traditional way. Cover with warm water and let them soak for 24 hours or more, up to 48 where they even ferment; drain, rinse well and then cook in beef stock (add water as necessary). The best beans nutritionally, as well as minimal toxins such as lectins (the soaking process removes much of these too) are: BLACK, LENTILS, PINTO. Red kidney beans are probably the worst. For those, minimal only, like a bit on your salad when at a salad bar (but load up on the garbanzos!). A great way to cook awesome pintos after soaking, and in the pot: a sprinkle over the whole surface of real bacon bits, garlic powder, desiccated onion flakes, and black pepper. Salt to taste when they are done cooking.

7. Do potatoes any way you like (boiled, roasted, baked, nuked). Rather than deep fry, make oven fries with far less fat. coating with a combo of coconut and red palm oil and oven roasting (400 for 20m or so) is the BOMB. Minimize the butter and sour cream with baked or mashed potatoes. For mashed, better to reduce beef stock by 3/4 and thicken with a potato starch slurry—for a tasty sauce/gravy—than to load up with the butter and cream. Or, just do a classic red wine reduction using onion and shallot you strain out. Splurge with the added fat sometimes, just not all the time or often.

8. Dump all the bottled salad dressings because they are all made with those same garbage industrial oils that were originally developed as machinery lubricant. Jet engines use vegetable oils to lubricate turbines. Mouth watering, eh? Instead, use any combo of olive oil, vinegars, lemon, lime, soy sauce, dijon mustard, onion, and whatever other herbs & spices and such you like to make a vast variety of your own salad dressings.

9. Veggies. Anything, cooked any way, but blanching or parboiling is far better than steaming. Ideal is a variety of raw, cooked, blanched. Also, fermented veggies such as sauerkraut, kimchee. Eat seaweed for the iodine. Eat BIG ASS SALADS. I'm talking salad bar salads with all those tons of ingredients including the beans, beats, etc. I go to Whole Foods often, load up a box from their bar, then take it home and dress it myself. If you get those packaged salads for lunches like my wife does, toss the dressings and take along your own in a container.

10. Fruit. Anything, but avoid juices, except the way they used to be consumed—in those little 4 oz juice glasses for breakfast. The dose makes the poison.

11. Nuts. No more than a handful per day (normal handful). Macadamias have the best fat profile by FAR. Brazils are good for the selenium. Filberts are good, but I forget why.

12. Meats. Anything, but again, minimal added fat in the form of gravies, sauces, etc. A pat of butter or drizzle of OO is fine. Meat already has fat in it. Try to eat organ meats like liver—the most nutritionally dense food on the planet by order of magnitude. If you can't tolerate liver, you can: a) hide it in ground beef. You won't be able to taste 2-4 oz of chopped up liver in a pound of ground beef, or b) eat good quality pâté regularly, or liverwurst or braunschweiger.

13. Fish. Anything. As liver is the most nutritionally dense land food, oysters are the most nutritionally dense seafood. Highest source of zinc on the planet. Hopefully, you adore raw oysters, so any time you see 'em on a menu, have some. Trader Joe's has decent smoked oysters that are packed in olive oil (instead of crap cottonseed oil like most brands—search it out). 1/2 - 1 can per day with your rice, or on some Glutino crackers is excellent. Also, mussels and clams are really fine. When I go to a restaurant, the first thing I check is if they have oysters, mussels or clams.

14. Fowl. Anything, but don't buy into this white meat bullshit. Fowl also has the worst omega 6 to omega 3 ratio (the primary reason all the crap vegetable/seed oils are crap). 6:3 is a yin:yang kinda thing. 3 is anti inflammatory, 6 is pro inflammatory. Traditional diets have a typical 3:6 ratio from about 1:1 to 1:3. The typical American diet is 1:15 to 1:30...way out of whack in the balance of nature, and it's primarily because of all the cheap, crap "heart healthy" oils used...and the shifting to chicken everywhere. Eat your chicken & turkey, but it's no panacea.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Better...

I'm liking the more positive light shed on resistance starch in specific and carbs in general. I really like the "minimize ADDING fat" part though. I'm sick of people telling newbies to "EAT MOAR FAT" for weightloss.

And I just noticed your signature! I usually log in from the iphone. I love!
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I like everything I read but one point has me puzzled. Why minimize fat? Fat is the major macro nutrient of my diet. I haven't followed Nikoley's site for months and do not understand his reasoning. I stopped reading him when he got into a nasty pissing contest with two internet gals last year. Couldn't stand the snark, bordered on evil IMO.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Not bad... although I'm not sure about the beans and corn tortillas. I have corn tortillas sometimes, but I've always considered them to be treats. Ditto on the beans. I don't eat rice regularly bit it is acceptable... I won't eat it though, for me it's just... there. I prefer potatoes.

I do like his point on fish. Dammit, I wish I could find oysters in olive oil but I can't. Even the fancy health food stores don't have them. For me it's safflower oil or nothing.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Not a good plan for people with inflammation or autoimmune conditions. I would be in a flare within a few days of eating based on those recommendations.

And while it is miles and miles above SAD or CW, I suspect many people with weight issues will continue to struggle eating that way.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post

I do like his point on fish. Dammit, I wish I could find oysters in olive oil but I can't. Even the fancy health food stores don't have them. For me it's safflower oil or nothing.

Does iHerb deliver to Canada? I get my oysters in olive oil from them. They can be very hard to find in stores.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Does iHerb deliver to Canada? I get my oysters in olive oil from them. They can be very hard to find in stores.
    They do! Sweet! *bookmarks for later*

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Violates prime directive -- eat what our ancestors ate.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I like everything I read but one point has me puzzled. Why minimize fat? Fat is the major macro nutrient of my diet. I haven't followed Nikoley's site for months and do not understand his reasoning. I stopped reading him when he got into a nasty pissing contest with two internet gals last year. Couldn't stand the snark, bordered on evil IMO.
    Its minimising added fat, not fat itself. He doesn't tell you to not eat chicken skin, pork belly etc.

His advice seems very sensible. I really feel that Mark needs to update his book to be more inclusive, because Richard's summary sounds better.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Violates prime directive -- eat what our ancestors ate.
    Considering none of the plants and animals that our ancestors ate exist today...uh...good luck with that.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast