Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 'New Paleo' Guidelines What do you think? page 3

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

'New Paleo' Guidelines What do you think?

Beans are okay. Same with rice IMO from a "how much should I worry about this" pov. I just don't like beans much anymore. They taste like fillers to me. Rice is still yummy in pilafs and sushi.

I also would not base my diet around beans/rice. If I want starch it is potatoes, and that is kind of rare unless I am doing a few days of the potato hack to save money. Otherwise my carbs come from fruits... Glorious fruits.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    F-yeah corn tortillas. I make my own, such awesome tacos.

If anyone else does tortillas, get bob's redmill masa harina and try it out. you can also make pupsas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    As someone who has had bean poisoning several times, I seriously marvel at anyone who tries to call them healthy. It's not like rice bran where the negatives are sort of theoretical and you have to go to an extreme to really notice them. It's more like wheat where some people like me are going to REALLY notice right away and other people are on a curve from there. But it's even MORE than wheat because everyone will get sick or even die given the appropriate dose.
    What are the symptoms of bean poisoning? How much and what sort of beans did you eat to get it, and how were they prepared?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What are the symptoms of bean poisoning?
    I don't know if I've ever had bean poisoning, but I know after a bean-heavy meal people around me sure get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I don't know if I've ever had bean poisoning, but I know after a bean-heavy meal people around me sure get it!
    Hemagglutinin and Food Poisoning from Beans

One source mentions vomiting blood. It's a different reaction from the one I had last time I ate a lot of split peas, which was just inflammation for several days.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIll.../ucm071092.htm
    Last edited by eKatherine; 12-03-2013 at 10:42 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    But it's even MORE than wheat because everyone will get sick or even die given the appropriate dose.
    A ton, ton, ton of people eat beans as a staple in their diet every day. I hate beans. I really do. But seriously...for probably 90% of humans, the fatal dose of beans is probably more than one would ever care to eat. They are a staple in so many places. I'm sure most people can eat beans, potatoes, grains, rice etc. without ill consequence beyond getting fat if you eat too much of them.

I think the guidelines are more realistic than paleo/primal that avoids starches. I imagine most people on the planet simply can't afford a diet of meat/fruit/veggies.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What are the symptoms of bean poisoning? How much and what sort of beans did you eat to get it, and how were they prepared?
    I've gotten it the old fashioned way- undercooked crockpot beans (they will undercook even if you have a good crockpot if you don't use enough water) and from going a little crazy on the quantity of edamame consumed. I've also gotten it from undercooked beans in "Mexican" food, about the only bean exposure I get these days. Vomiting, diarrhea, and intestines that pretty much stop working- a lot like celiac for me, it takes a while for food to stop coming out with the teeth marks still visible from when it went in.

Here in NC some church potluck manages to kill off some of their older members from a good case of bean poisoning about once a year it seems.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Symptoms: nasty gastric distress. How much you have to eat to get poisoned would depend on the bean. Many contain some of the toxin - phytohaemaglutinin (thank you, Wikipedia) - but among commonly-eaten beans, the dangerous levels are only in red kidney beans. Just a few of those, if not properly cooked, will poison you. 'Properly cooked' = kept at a vigorous rolling boil for 10 minutes, in addition to all the usual soaking and simmering. Just simmering will not destroy the toxin.

(Also I think I remember reading years ago that soya beans have plenty of the toxin - but people don't generally try to cook those at home.)

When I ate beans, I would soak overnight, discard the water, boil fast for 10 minutes with the lid off the pan, discard the water, bring back to the boil in fresh water and simmer until done. And use in recipes with plenty of carminative spices .

More from Wikipedia:
    If the beans are cooked at a temperature below boiling (without a preliminary boil), as in a slow cooker, the toxic effect of haemagglutinin is increased: beans cooked at 80 C (176 F) are reported to be up to five times as toxic as raw beans.[7] Outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with cooking kidney beans in slow cookers.[7]
    The primary symptoms of phytohaemagglutinin poisoning are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Onset is from one to three hours after consumption of improperly prepared beans, and symptoms typically resolve within a few hours.[7] Consumption of as few as four or five raw, soaked kidney beans can cause symptoms.[7]
    Last edited by Hilary; 12-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    But seriously...for probably 90% of humans, the fatal dose of beans is probably more than one would ever care to eat. They are a staple in so many places.
    People rarely die from it, but the dose of raw red kidney beans that triggers symptoms seems to be 4 or 5 beans. And slow-cooked beans seem to be several times as toxic.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People rarely die from it, but the dose of raw red kidney beans that triggers symptoms seems to be 4 or 5 beans. And slow-cooked beans seem to be several times as toxic.
    Part of the issue with the slow cooker is that when you cook beans, the toxin actually increases as it is first being cooked (I didn't read the whole link you provided, but it might discuss this) and then decreases only as cooking continues.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast