Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about cutting out dairy page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Question about cutting out dairy

Shop Now
    I'm eliminating dairy beginning today to see if that's what's been causing recent bloating and other stomach issues. If dairy is indeed the culprit, how long would it take, on average, to notice a difference? Same day? Two days? A week? I realize that everyone is different, and that what works for some in a certain amount of time may not be the same for others. I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

Many thanks in advance...
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    For a direct effect like bloating I think you are looking at something much quicker - a week max seems reasonable - than if you were looking for some downstream effect, like a nutritional deficiency arising from gut damage.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    For a direct effect like bloating I think you are looking at something much quicker - a week max seems reasonable - than if you were looking for some downstream effect, like a nutritional deficiency arising from gut damage.
    Very helpful - thanks! (Not looking for a downstream effect; definitely direct effect.)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Go for the 21 days....eliminate it for 21 days minimum and that reintroduce. If you feel good during those 21 days and start bloating again after that you know it's the dairy.
    but your body needs the 21 days to get it all settled
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Go for the 21 days....eliminate it for 21 days minimum and that reintroduce. If you feel good during those 21 days and start bloating again after that you know it's the dairy.
    but your body needs the 21 days to get it all settled
    Sounds good -- many thanks! I'll go for the three weeks.

gergirl Guest
    Keep an eye on getting the micros you're not eating when cutting out dairy!

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Explain...what do you mean?

Also...it's interesting this question got posed, because I just cut out milk entirely 3 days ago, after months of sinus problems and inflammation of the skin. I also have an "active" digestive system, and I can say that it IMMEDIATELY quieted down and became normal after eliminating milk. The skin on my nose, which had been irritated for MONTHS (reddish spots and small acne from time to time), cleared up almost completely in two days.

And for another welcome effect...I am sleeping better than I have in YEARS.

Is this all due to eliminating milk? I've committed to a minimum of two weeks of no milk. We'll see, but I'm feeling pretty confident I'm on to something.

The research I've read on milk makes me wonder why the hell I didn't give it up long ago.

I also eliminated whey protein, which I'd been taking in shake form (Primal Fuel) with milk, after workouts. May also be a contributing factor to the improvement noted...not sure.
    Last edited by Bear; 12-02-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    I appreciate the advice! While I don't count my macros (history with an eating disorder; for me, logging calories/macros tends to spiral into obsessive behavior, so I simply don't log), I'll make sure that I'm eating protein with every meal -- and if I'm hungry, I'll bump up the protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Also...it's interesting this question got posed, because I just cut out milk entirely 3 days ago, after months of sinus problems and inflammation of the skin. I also have an "active" digestive system, and I can say that it IMMEDIATELY quieted down and became normal after eliminating milk. The skin on my nose, which had been irritated for MONTHS (reddish spots and small acne from time to time), cleared up almost completely in two days.

And for another welcome effect...I am sleeping better than I have in YEARS.

Is this all due to eliminating milk? I've committed to a minimum of two weeks of no milk. We'll see, but I'm feeling pretty confident I'm on to something.

The research I've read on milk makes me wonder why the hell I didn't give it up long ago.
    Wow - this is all very encouraging! I'd love to finally sleep better.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Wow - this is all very encouraging! I'd love to finally sleep better.
    I'm in your corner, cheering you on. We may both be entering a period of feeling much better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast