Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shifty1 primal journey... thread 2, continuing the path.... page

shifty1 is offline Senior Member

The Shifty1 primal journey... thread 2, continuing the path....

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys....

My name is Shifty1, and in 2011 I went primal. One of the most successful things I did when I started down the primal journey was that I kept a daily report and online journal on this forum, which can be found here : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33495.html

During that time I kept myself accountable, and had some amazing results. I did not follow all the steps in the primal blueprint (I did not exercise, and build muscle mass) but I was struck in my food intake, and I got an amazing result.

One of the things I really credit for the great results was reporting my food intake, and the support I had from people here. I went on to move countries, get engaged, and generally have a fantastic life. Every day I was full of energy, stress free, and spiritually happy.

Life is a constant test, and the wheel turned, like it does for everyone. My hit was that I didn't get married, and ended up in a country that was not very welcoming after the engagement broke down. While it was meant not to be, I started sabotaging myself, and for the last two years have been doing things I should not have been. Eating badly, not sleeping, stressing myself out...

Grok would not have survived.. and the results have shown.

I now stand with more body fat than I started my primal journey. My energy levels are at a horrible low. The concentration is scattered. This is not what I had in mind, and I choose to turn it around. My first step is right here : posting up this new thread. The last few days have been the worst, with donuts and suger becoming the base of my diet. Well, not more punishing myself! I'm over that. I know this next week is going to be hard, I am definitely not looking forward to the carb flu, but I do this for me...

I'll be keeping track of what I eat, and posting up the results in the thread. For me, it is important to have a space to share what I am going, a place that ca be safe. I might not always get to where I want to be, but a day in the right direction is what is important. Can't run a marathon before running around the block a few times.

So thats my intention. Tonight will be Day 1 of Primal 2.0. Time to back myself!

Thanks for reading, and don't be a stranger....
    Love you all, you just didn't know it....

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hi shifty1, welcome back.

Sounds as if you have been going through some tough stuff. I don't know why we humans seem to stop taking care of ourselves just at the moment when we need to be strongest. Though I have never stopped being Primal, I am just coming out of a two year roller coaster of a binge eating disorder triggered by my Mother's death.

Good Luck!
    I like the tag line at the end of your posts. It is nice to be loved even if I didn't know it until I opened your journal.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Thanks for your post Pebbles

I was a little nervous what the response would be when I started this thread. Thank you for welcoming me so warmly.
    Humans are a funny creature, we can do so much, and with one instant thought, stop putting ourselves first. I think as someone famous said - "Selfish is not a dirty word" Time to be selfish with my primal lifestyle

Feel free to stop in, and give advice... Thats open to anyone

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Hi shifty1

congrats on having the courage to start over especially as you know what the next week brings!
    Of course you are not alone in your effort to get back on track I have been toying with primal for over a year now and have recently decided to actually do the program so I feel your pain!
    Good luck

Hey jacmac....

I jumped into Primal as a way to focus when I broke up with an ex, the anger (not such a great way to motivate yourself) was great at keeping me on track! The results were amazing! I have a PT now, train twice a week, and while I have muscle, I have not been able to shed my body fat. Primal will do that for you.

This journey will not be about anger. It will be about loving myself, for myself. The more you put in the more you will get out. After three months, I was the trimmest I had ever been. Jump in with both feet, and share your struggles and successes. This is a key factor for my last success. Tried doing it by myself, and fell off the wagon every time....

Please let me know how you go...

-Shifty

Thanks Shifty1 I have started a journal but I have to tell you it's a bit lonely cause it seems people are reading my stuff but no one is commenting.
    Really I started the journal to become accountable and it is working.
    I really want to be able to say what you have that this is the trimest I have been.
    I will be following your progress and perhaps we can keep each other honest!
    Last edited by jacmac; 12-02-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    I will be following your progress and perhaps we can keep each other honest!
    Deal... Done and done!

For what its worth, if you look at my first thread, it took ages before people started commenting! Still, I did it for myself and they did come. Just keep on track, and you will find your audience Now your one day closer to saying your the trimest you have ever been!

-Shifty

Day One - Primal 2.0

Having looked back at my original thread, and looking at some of the more important post, I wanted to ask for some feedback on how many calories one should have in a day?

1800 calories via Primal, but when I put my numbers into Myfitness pal, it tells me 1400! Just asking where everyone puts their numbers. I would be the first to say that I would LOVE to see instant results, but I know its a gradual slope, one that I never really could get used to seeing.

I’m going to break down my posts into four areas of wellness : I love being primal for the effect it has on me physically and mentally, and I feel that reporting these areas will keep me accountable for the whole picture. Of course I will be addressing most questions in the primal arena here

The areas are :

Nutrition - Report on what I ate/meals.
    Movement - What I physically did on that day.
    Stress - How I am feeling?
    Sleep - How many hours/rested, not rested.

My goal is to post every nigh about the day, except for Friday night, as I keep the sabbath and won’t be near a computer. Friday nights report will be made Saturday night.

So onto Day One :

General daily report :

Today I started the day exhausted, and discovered that when I woke up at 10am, instead of my normal time of 6.45am. I had spent the previous day working my tail off on a personal tim project, which also meant that I was dipping my hand into the candy tray a few times more than I would have liked too. That night was also horrible as I ate a lot of fried foods and donuts, simply cause I was exhausted. At the time of night I started eating, my will power was gone, and I was looking for comfort food. I heard that with out enough sleep, your body acts like its diabetic! High swings, you grab for the sugar, insulin crash, the cycle continues…

The good news was that when I woke up in a fog, feeling like a train ran over me, I reached for my laptop, and fired up Marks Daily Apple! I know what I need to do, but as I wrote before, I had been putting it off. So the first step for me was this thread, and prepping myself.

Went out tonight, and found that going to a night class helped a lot. Around 5pm I was crashing, and starting to get a headache, so I had a quick snack, then off to class. Was on my feet from 7pm-11pm, so that should count for something. Fixed up a 3d printer, then off home to post a report and sleep Distractions help me from eating when I don't really need to...

Nutrition - Woke up and was on such a sugar "whatever" I did not eat till lunchtime. Lunch was some steamed green vegetables. Dinner was some egg white with mushrooms and a splash of soya sauce. I did have one slice of rye bread toasted. My goal this week is to remove all refined sugar, I wanted to give myself something to work on in class. Wheat will be removed soon. Need to make this doable, and not fall off the wagon again.

Misreading myfitness pal, I had one and a half scoops of WPI protein cause I thought I didn't have enough today. Oh well!

Myfitnesspal numbers for today are :

Cals : 741
    Carbs: 60
    Fats: 9
    Protein: 100
    Sodium: 1,621
    Sugar: 16

Movement - Computer day. Not a lot of walking, cause it was a really hot day outside. I did stand and walk for 4 hours at class as we were all at benches.

Stress - Great! Getting back to the four and Primal really lifted my mood Also fixed my printer, so I am jazzed at the end of the day!

Sleep - 11 hours last night. Big day that Sunday. Planing for a 11pm bedtime, 7am wake up! :_

Thanks for listening. I don’t think every day will be such a big report, but it was great to get it all out there

Love you all, you just didn't know about it!

-Shifty

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Welcome back, Shifty. As for calories, I don't track, but I would suggest that you start by making sure you are eating plenty of the right foods before you look at restricting at all. It's hard enough to cut out the junk, don't starve yourself!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Good morning Shifty,
    741 cals???? Did this happen because of the sugar overload from the previous days? There is no way I could survive on that.
    I like your organised method for your journal, mine so far has just been ramblings lol.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast