Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me if I'm on to something here (milk) page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Please tell me if I'm on to something here (milk)

Primal Fuel
    I'm sure the subject of milk has been covered extensively...I know Mark discussed it in detail. But I'm coming to this from the perspective of weeding out things that might have caused a couple of symptoms, and it's seeming to come down to milk...and also whey protein.

First of all, I'm very fit, healthy and male...5'10", 143 lbs...run, bike, all that stuff. But I've been a milk drinker for most of my life, even more so in the past year, when I ramped up some workouts and drank a Primal Fuel shake after, made with milk.

Symptoms: Nasal inflammation (both sinus and on the skin of the nose), and inconsistent bowel function (not to get graphic, but sometimes "irritable" movement of the bowel).

I've been reading a lot about milk and dairy, and the more I read, the more I'm gravitating toward the idea that milk is bad for me. And drinking protein shakes made with milk is exacerbating the problem.

So...I've decided to go a month without protein shakes, and limit...or eliminate...milk from my diet during that time. I'm on Day 2, and already I feel a bit less "inflamed", if that's possible. I'm excited about the possibility of a major improvement in the way I feel, and my health.

While I realize this subject is probably "old news" for many of you, I would still be seriously grateful for your input...am I on to something good with this idea of eliminating milk?

Thanks, all!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    First eliminate for some time, then test with reintroduction. Then you will be more certain.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I'm sure the subject of milk has been covered extensively...I know Mark discussed it in detail. But I'm coming to this from the perspective of weeding out things that might have caused a couple of symptoms, and it's seeming to come down to milk...and also whey protein.

First of all, I'm very fit, healthy and male...5'10", 143 lbs...run, bike, all that stuff. But I've been a milk drinker for most of my life, even more so in the past year, when I ramped up some workouts and drank a Primal Fuel shake after, made with milk.

Symptoms: Nasal inflammation (both sinus and on the skin of the nose), and inconsistent bowel function (not to get graphic, but sometimes "irritable" movement of the bowel).

I've been reading a lot about milk and dairy, and the more I read, the more I'm gravitating toward the idea that milk is bad for me. And drinking protein shakes made with milk is exacerbating the problem.

So...I've decided to go a month without protein shakes, and limit...or eliminate...milk from my diet during that time. I'm on Day 2, and already I feel a bit less "inflamed", if that's possible. I'm excited about the possibility of a major improvement in the way I feel, and my health.

While I realize this subject is probably "old news" for many of you, I would still be seriously grateful for your input...am I on to something good with this idea of eliminating milk?

Thanks, all!

That is SO common. My son had tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed when he was 3 - all for nothing. Turned out it was milk that was causing all his ear/nasal issues. Milk also makes him very hyper. I give him almond/coconut milk instead.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Nasal irritation is definitely a symptom of dairy intolerance. I use minimal dairy now and my nose never gets like that anymore.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Nasal irritation is definitely a symptom of dairy intolerance. I use minimal dairy now and my nose never gets like that anymore.
    What process brought you to that conclusion? I spent a lot of time to get to this same place, but I'm curious how you arrived at it...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    What process brought you to that conclusion? I spent a lot of time to get to this same place, but I'm curious how you arrived at it...thanks!
    I read about it on a celiac forum. A lot of people with celiac are also dairy intolerant.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I used to get some reflux and coughing from pasteurized unfermented casein specifically. Since I figured that out I'm fine with yogurt, ricotta, butter, cream, and aged cheese but not liquid milk, mozzarella, or cottage cheese.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I used to get some reflux and coughing from pasteurized unfermented casein specifically. Since I figured that out I'm fine with yogurt, ricotta, butter, cream, and aged cheese but not liquid milk, mozzarella, or cottage cheese.
    Those bother me, but also ricotta, which is generally made from whey and heated to boiling.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    After self-experimentation I have learned that it depends on the dairy. General store pasteurized and homogenized milk is a big no-no, gives me gas, turns into a brick in my stomach and I don't poop for a week or more. Raw milk digests fine, but gives me minor red areas on my skin. Yogurt digests well and causes no overt signs of discord (except that I can't stop eating it lately, lol!). Aged cheeses are also fine, so I go for grass-fed sharp cheddar at Trader Joe's or similar. YMMV.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had chronic rhinitis/runny nose for years and eliminating milk seemed to cure it. I couldn't make any judgement call on protein powder though.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast