Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid meds and weight loss page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Thyroid meds and weight loss

Primal Fuel
    I have recently (2 weeks tomorrow) started Armour. It has already made me feel almost 100% and my body temp has been over 98.6 for a few days now. I was expecting that I might stop having such a hard time losing weight now, but instead I have actually gained a few pounds, while eating slightly less than I had been.

I know in 2 weeks I'm not going to see huge results, but I didn't expect to go up! For those on thyroid, how long until the weight loss happened and did any of you gain instead?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I gained most of my weight after starting thyroid meds. I, however, was kept under medicated for many years. Once I was optimally medicated it took several months for my body to heal before I saw any weight lose. And even then it took and takes being very dedicated to diet and exercise.

Starting a thyroid med that contains T3 can increase someone's hunger level which in turn leads to eating more and gaining. So, you might want to be mindful of hunger levels and eating until your body adapts to the new hormone levels.

I have had similar issues and I've been on Armour for almost 3 years. Still no improvement. It's so frustrating.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed any difference weight wise. Brain working a bit better, energy a bit better. I am on T3 only now. Erfa caused me to lose a ton of hair. I had pretty much lost all the weight I needed to lose before I started changing my thyroid meds from Synthoid to Erfa then to T3 only. Maintenance has been pretty easy for me, but then losing weight on this diet has been really easy for me so I may not be a great example for others.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 11-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I gained most of my weight after starting thyroid meds. I, however, was kept under medicated for many years. Once I was optimally medicated it took several months for my body to heal before I saw any weight lose. And even then it took and takes being very dedicated to diet and exercise.

Starting a thyroid med that contains T3 can increase someone's hunger level which in turn leads to eating more and gaining. So, you might want to be mindful of hunger levels and eating until your body adapts to the new hormone levels.
    So, are you saying your metabolism actually got worse on meds? I was hoping that eating a bit less than what I had been maintaining on would slowly get me to lose now that I'm on meds and my temp is up. Gaining is so depressing. I'm at my highest weight yet now.

If anything I feel like my appetite has gone down a bit not up, I hope that is a good sign.

When you say "being very dedicated to diet..." did you have to eat less than what you think someone with a healthy metabolism would to lose weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference weight wise. Brain working a bit better, energy a bit better. I am on T3 only now. Erfa caused me to lose a ton of hair. I had pretty much lost all the weight I needed to lose before I started changing my thyroid meds from Synthoid to Erfa then to T3 only. Maintenance has been pretty easy for me, but then losing weight on this diet has been really easy for me so I may not be a great example for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by nataliehoblitzell View Post
    I have had similar issues and I've been on Armour for almost 3 years. Still no improvement. It's so frustrating.
    Thank you, ladies, I had hoped for better news but accepting this early on is better than getting all excited that it will be easy now and still failing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    So, are you saying your metabolism actually got worse on meds? I was hoping that eating a bit less than what I had been maintaining on would slowly get me to lose now that I'm on meds and my temp is up. Gaining is so depressing. I'm at my highest weight yet now.

If anything I feel like my appetite has gone down a bit not up, I hope that is a good sign.

When you say "being very dedicated to diet..." did you have to eat less than what you think someone with a healthy metabolism would to lose weight?
    Paleomom, for what it's worth: since I started to eat Peat, I notice that if I eat too little I start to gain weight. Eating "at maintenance" causes me to lose weight. Weird.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I think w/in a month I started to lose weight. My weight was extremely stable for the 3 yrs on paleo, it wouldn't budge no matter what. That being said, I only had at the most 10 lbs to lose. I think I've lost 4 or 5 lbs, but I haven't been focusing on losing weight I'm more interested in healing my thyroid and as I mentioned in the other thread that part is slow in coming.

I'd rather keep the 10 lbs and be warm, clear headed and have energy!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I think w/in a month I started to lose weight. My weight was extremely stable for the 3 yrs on paleo, it wouldn't budge no matter what. That being said, I only had at the most 10 lbs to lose. I think I've lost 4 or 5 lbs, but I haven't been focusing on losing weight I'm more interested in healing my thyroid and as I mentioned in the other thread that part is slow in coming.

I'd rather keep the 10 lbs and be warm, clear headed and have energy!
    That is encouraging, maybe it will start happening over the next month.

I totally understand, except I currently am feeling warm, clear headed and full of energy, so now I'd really love to see the 20 pounds I've gained go take a hike

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Paleomom, for what it's worth: since I started to eat Peat, I notice that if I eat too little I start to gain weight. Eating "at maintenance" causes me to lose weight. Weird.
    YB!

I have noticed myself feeling very weight stable for the last 9 months or so regardless of eating less, more or equal to my maintenance. Now that I started the thyroid though, I regained the few pounds I'd lost and ever so slightly gained above my previous all time high I have been doing strength training and taking maca, so I was hopeful at first that it was just muscle but then my pants stopped fitting and I measured my waist at an all time high of 5cm larger than it was a few weeks ago.

So, just curious, what is your maintenance? Are you factoring in your activity and eating more to compensate or allowing that to debit out of your maintenance amount?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast