Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys eat with fish? page

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member

Question What do you guys eat with fish?

Shop Now
    Meat seems natural to pair things with, and it's often fatty enough I don't feel the need to dress it up. But that could be because I'm from the midwest, and when I was growing up, fish was square shaped and served with mayonnaise.

Got any good ways to add more interest/variety/fats to fish and seafood? Good sides or methods of serving other than chucked into a salad like I always do?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

What do you guys eat with fish?

Salmon is good with a citrus or rosemary butter sauce and some freshly ground black pepper + sea salt. Served with rosemary potatoes.

You can also try an garlic- avocado or cashew cream sauce drizzled on top of trout/tilapia/etc, served with caramelized carrots.

Or you can go Asian and do a butter-soy sauce-sugar-Chinese vinegar-garlic-ginger base and sear the fish (trout is good this way) in the sauce. This one is traditionally done with a whole fish.

Pesto is awesome for salmon as well...

You can make your own tuna or salmon salad mixed with homemade mayo. I make my "mayo" with melted ghee and so it is a whipped butter-mayo combo thingy.

Finally, making your own sashimi/naruto/sushi bowl is awesome if you can find sushi-grade fish. Served with homemade spicy mayo (homemade mayo + sriracha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-30-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

neowild is offline Member
    Lately I've been on a kick cooking it slowly in a skillet with garlic butter. Then putting it on a plate and topping it off with sauerkraut and sour cream.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Have it with steak...yum
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neowild View Post
    Lately I've been on a kick cooking it slowly in a skillet with garlic butter.
    That's tasty.

I do salmon or atlantic mackerel 3x a week. Fatty fish already creates a large amount of oil in the skillet once it starts cooking. So a lot of times I'll just have it plain with sea salt, super tasty. With salmon sometimes I'll add butter and carrots.

Here in Asia fish is often served whole so I've got used to that. Sometimes I'll take a whole croaker or something fresh from the fish market, put it in a cast iron skillet with a lid, throw in butter and a bunch of different veggies, herbs, and sea salt, and let it slow cook together. Flavors mix together, really good.

Tuna steaks seared on both sides in the skillet with a lump of grass-fed butter on top. Cooked this up in a hotel kitchen earlier this year…

tuna.jpg

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Oh, here's another breakfast creation from this year; salmon and avocado go well together…

salmon.jpg

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Medditerean I like , lemon tomatoes fennel onions aubergines courgettes pine nuts olives

From London England UK

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Western: Bitter greens, citrus, onion/chives, soft root vegetables, butter/cream, bacon, mushrooms, pistachios, any herb in the mint family, eggs

Asian: Coconut, nori, ginger, soy sauce, peppers, peanuts, pine nuts, cashews, walnuts

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm kind of boring when it comes to fish. I almost always layer it on top of asparagus spears and diced mushroom, then top it with garlic and butter, wrap it in parchment and throw it in the oven.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Orange is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi RittenRemedy,
    I often pop pesto on top of my fish, or an olive oil-based tapenade in some flavour or other, like black olive, red capsicum or sun-dried tomato. Delicious!
    Last edited by Orange; 11-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast