Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messing with the idea to be a personal trainer.. page

cayla29s is offline Senior Member

Messing with the idea to be a personal trainer..

Hey guys,

So I have always been into fitness since my early 20s and I can say that it is here to stay for the rest of my life. I currently have a career that I spent 5 yrs post high school and I have been doing this for the last 9 years. I believe I am very good at my current profession but sometimes I just don't want to do it anymore. I don't know if just need to go to a different company and see if it sparks the plug so to speak once again or go to a different profession that I am already passionate about. Maybe even do both?

I'm in Canada so I have looked at a couple of places to get certified. Right now I'm just toying with the idea. Could personal training really lead to a career or is this already a saturated market?

If you are a personal trainer, could you give me your thoughts on this? Do you have another job as well?

Thanks

canio6 Guest
    Al Kavadlo did a series of articles on becoming a trainer. They are found here:

Becoming a Personal Trainer (Part One)

Becoming a Personal Trainer (Part Two)

They may give you a place to start.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's the kind of thing that if you do enough research you might be able to start out part time without quitting your day job.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's the kind of thing that if you do enough research you might be able to start out part time without quitting your day job.
    this. you need to build a solid clientele and that can take a long time.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've known a number of people who moved from a steady job that was boring them into training for a new career, only to find out getting established and becoming successful was a lot harder than they thought it would be, while income potential was a lot less. Once you cut your ties it's too late to turn back.

i know plenty of people who do it p/t. my one friend who does it f/t made that switch after being left A MOUNTAIN of dough when her mother passed. she will be set for life whether she works or not. not too many get that cushy deal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I agree with this. There are definite pros and cons to being a personal trainer so you have a lot to think about. I'll do my best to make a list on both sides and see if it helps.

Cons:

Huge turnover. In my club there are at least 3 trainers in and out ever 3-6 months.

You essentially work for yourself. You have to contact the potential client and sell yourself to them. This might be different in other clubs but in most there is a big sales aspect.

A constantly changing clientele. You may not be able to work hours that you want to work and you may not make a wage between clients. Some clubs only pay on a contract basis so if you're with 4 clients a day you're only being paid for those 4 hours. And you could have 2-3 hours between each client of down time.

High pressure to perform. Don't forget that gyms are in it for the money just like any other company so you will have a monthly budget and you will need to continually need to reach that budget.

Low wage. This is really subjective. Some clubs will pay you minimum wage while you're doing the "shake hands and kissing babies" in the club and this can be the majority of your day for potentially the first year. Also how much you're paid as a trainer can very considerably from company to company.

Cheap people. Most places will offer a free session with a trainer on sign up these can clog up your opportunities if you're not careful. You can work all day for nothing because you haven't been able to turn a free session into a contract.

Long learning curve. Being a good personal trainer is a long road and takes a lot of investment in educating yourself. Most people aren't really interested in putting in this important time so they crap it up for the rest of us who do. Doing the best for your client is more that showing them how to sweat.

Annoying clients. Yes you'll have clients that drive you insane! They whine they complain they get frustrated they will challenge you on everything. But they just won't go away and all you can do is smile and encourage them. I have one that has been with me for 2 years and it's never changed. It's the worst hour of my day.

Pros

You get to help people. I find this the most rewarding part of the job.

Everyday is different

You meet some pretty amazing people and hear some incredible stories. I've trained people of all faiths, colours, ideals, and histories. A few that really stand out are a kid with Crohns, a young lady who is a little person that had her back fused with a titanium rod. A sweet little lady who's the toughest woman I know. A hockey player, a pro soccer player, a pro mountaineer. This list goes on.

You can make good money. It's not easy but depending on where you work you can make 6 figures. It take a long time and a lot of hours so this is by no means easy to do. And you must educate yourself to prove you're worth it.

You work in a place were people want to be. People come to the gym for no other reason than they want to be better than they were yesterday. This is a really cool environment to work in. It is a really positive energy.

There's more on both sides but there are a few points for you to consider.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Oh and there are lots of yoga pants. Definite PRO!!

erm, not all trainers are employed by clubs. the more successful ones are self-employed.

Ernest Hemingway

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In order to really make money at it, you need to be good at business. This means you need skills besides your PT skills and training.

Starting out part-time and then moving to full time when you have enough clients to make the leap is a good way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast