Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Local Bacon Vs Nitrate Free

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9

    Local Bacon Vs Nitrate Free

    Shop Now
    Should I buy local pastured bacon from my farmers market with sodium nitrates or buy nitrate free bacon from the store?

    I feel that the local has to be superior even though it has sodium nitrate...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,325
    Mmm, local pastured bacon!
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

    **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

    **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,480
    I don't entirely buy the nitrates are nitrates are nitrates argument (because you experience a high level of natural nitrates, other nitrates are A Okay, even though nitrate levels in community water supplies correlate with community cancer levels... eh, no, not buying).

    BUT... nitrate free bacon just does not keep in my fridge at the pace I eat it. So... I would get the nitrate. I just don't make it a staple of my diet for many reasons, starting with the pig itself.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,783
    Another vote for the local, pastured pork.

    The meat is undoubtedly healthier (higher in vitamins, etc.).

    You will be supporting a local farmer who is "doing it right" (or at least worlds better than a CAFO).

    The nitrate stuff seems to be overblown. For most people. There is one forum member here (Rita Rose) who has adverse effects from dietary nitrates, even if it comes from celery juice. Migraines if I recall correctly.

    The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    210
    Depends on what you want out of it (or your motives for doing so), such as the following questions:

    - Do you care which is tastier?
    - Do you care about how long it will last in the fridge?
    - Do you care how the animals are treated? Or what they are fed?
    - Are you sensitive to nitrates?
    - Do you care about the price? (As I'm guessing the pastured, local bacon costs more than the store version)
    - Etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    4,941
    the local pastured will taste better and have a far superior nutritional profile vs cafo bacon.

    you're also supporting a local farmer and your local economy.

    gets my vote.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    – Ernest Hemingway

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    The nitrate stuff seems to be overblown. For most people. There is one forum member here (Rita Rose) who has adverse effects from dietary nitrates, even if it comes from celery juice. Migraines if I recall correctly.
    Yep. That would be me. I think it's because it's a vasodilator, and I'm ultra sensitive to them. It's the same reason (probably) that I can't have chocolate in more than microscopic amounts.

    I would vote pastured over commercial too as far as the meat goes. Just be aware that, if you ARE trying to avoid nitrites/nitrates, the amounts found in "naturally cured" meats tends to actually be higher because it's harder to control.

    Having said that, I don't think it's problematic for everyone. I'm just super sensitive to it.
    Durp.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Yep. That would be me. I think it's because it's a vasodilator, and I'm ultra sensitive to them. It's the same reason (probably) that I can't have chocolate in more than microscopic amounts.

    I would vote pastured over commercial too as far as the meat goes. Just be aware that, if you ARE trying to avoid nitrites/nitrates, the amounts found in "naturally cured" meats tends to actually be higher because it's harder to control.

    Having said that, I don't think it's problematic for everyone. I'm just super sensitive to it.
    Hey, Rita! Hadn't seen you for a while. Wasn't sure if you were still around. Maybe we have just been hanging out on different threads.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,088
    Local pastured pork belly and skip the nitrates and any other unwanted additives. Easy as can be to roast, smoke or sous vide. Then slice, fry and freeze the balance in portions for future use. Better than bacon IMO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,091
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Hey, Rita! Hadn't seen you for a while. Wasn't sure if you were still around. Maybe we have just been hanging out on different threads.
    No, I skipped out for a little bit. I was dealing with some after effects of the concussions, and I just wasn't in a good place as far as food goes. I'm back on track starting basically today.
    Durp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •