Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: American Weaponry page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

American Weaponry

There has been a few threads on this.

I still get surprised. I recently bought a penknife online and found the site was selling what looks like an American-made tomahawk:

Fox Axes: Fox Knives American Tomahawk --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

Seriously. That's not a hatchet - an implement for cutting wood that could be used otherwise. It's a tomahawk, a weapon. Is that legal carry in the U.S.? Can you have that in a rucksack or something? Does it depend on the State? Or the context?

I guess you can own one over here: you just couldn't take it outdoors. AFAIK, now you can't even carry a penknife in the UK, unless the blade is less than 3" and doesn't lock. Kind of interesting - boy scouts used to carry sheath-knives on their belts only a few decades ago, and no-one, apparently, misused them. Now UK society has got out of control, and the politicians' solution is a blanket-ban on everyone. Easier than really coming down on the particular individiuals that misuse perhaps but effective?

Some British police forces have been known to arrest people for having penknives that are LEGAL carry. One elderly man and his wife were pulled in because they had a little Swiss Army knife in the glove compartment of their car. I expect they'd offered a little verbal cheek or something and the officers were looking for an excuse to pay them back. Still and all ...

The interesting thing is that curbs even on firearrms are relatively recent in most European countries. Someone told me Hitler's Germany was one of the first. I don't know if that's true, but if it is it's suggestive.

In private hands or not? I tend to think violent crime in contemporary Britain is probably more driven by changing mores and by mass-immigration from countries where attitudes to violence are very different. I don't own much "weaponry". Don't particularly wish to. I'm not convinced bans are the answer, though. I think the politicians just don't know WHAT to do about a situation that they don't understand - and have partially created. Criminals don't use legally-held firearms anyway.

American views on all this?
    Last edited by Lewis; 11-30-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't live somewhere that didn't even allow you to carry a good knife. Every man should at a minimum have a knife on him always.

Sent via lightsaber

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I carry a knife on my person 90% of the time, never know when you might need it. Would I carry that? probably not, unless out rucking or something and even that might not really be good. This Amazon.com: Schrade Old Timer Hatchet/Knife Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden would be better.

Actually it is a hatchet. One with decent specs that someone would/could carry while hiking.

I agree with mr anthony 100%. I carry a knife pretty much 100% of the time. The one I carry is legal in my state. I'd carry a gun too if nj wasn't a nightmare. I am a prepared person and I refuse to let some psycho or scumbag harm my loved ones or take what is mine. It's too bad you brits let the govt take your manhood away years ago. They are trying to do the same thing in the us now. Pretty unfortunate if you ask me

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I generally have a knife and pepper spray on me. Not 24/7, but if I'm out and about, and especially when I was working out around town.

In my state, it's legal to open carry a firearm as long as it's registered, and you can realistically concealed carry with a permit.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a tomahawk is a good guy with a tomahawk.

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    I have a hatchet for home defense and carry 3 knives at all times. one for eating needs one utility tool for utility and a fast opening blade for self defense. I assume it is legal to carry as i am a tradesman and need blades for work but I dont care. Man is as much who he is because of knives and I wont not carry.

Odin told us in the havamal that a man should never be more than an arms length from his spear at all times as the world is harsh. Spears are kinda cumbersome today so I am armed to the best of my ability. It is a religious obligation and I dare them to try me.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Jarrod Schroeder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Seriously. That's not a hatchet - an implement for cutting wood that could be used otherwise. It's a tomahawk, a weapon. Is that legal carry in the U.S.? Can you have that in a rucksack or something? Does it depend on the State? Or the context?
    In my state (Minnesota) it depends on context. State law (609.66 "Dangerous Weapons") generally treats weapons as tools unless they are used unlawfully (ie, to threaten or harm someone). There are only a couple weapons that are unlawful (metal knuckles and automatically opening switchblade knives) and a couple places (schools and courthouses) that weapons generally aren't allowed.

Minnesota has decent laws about a number of things but we are *constantly* defending against those who want to take away or restrict our freedoms and rights.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    It does vary from state-to-state. In Texas the blade has to be under 5.5 inches, fixed or folding. No switchblades or "butterfly" (Balisong) knives. No problem with lock blades, can be concealed or in the open. Context would also be considered. Larger blades could be carried if you are engaged in an activity where that type of blade/weapon would be normally used. Large knives for camping, hunting, etc. As far as I know, there are no laws against the carrying of a hatchet/tomahawk in Texas as long as the sharpened part meets the maximum blade rule.

I'm never without a knife and usually carrying at least 3 types of blades. The bigger the knife the better.

The interesting thing is that curbs even on firearrms are relatively recent in most European countries. Someone told me Hitler's Germany was one of the first. I don't know if that's true, but if it is it's suggestive.
    Yep, dictators love gun control. Disarm the citizens then you can do pretty much whatever you want.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Science and empirical evidence shows a ban on weaponry increases crime, people who believe otherwise fall for propaganda and staged false flags.

I carry a CRKT m16 all time.
    nihil

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast