Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast

Thread: American Weaponry page 61

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A real world example of how it's done…
    Korean gun laws should serve as a model for the US - National Korean Headlines | Examiner.com

"If you hunt, then your registered gun is housed at the local police station where you can pick it up and drop it off in an allotted amount of time. If you violate this law, expect to spend up to ten years in prison and face fines up to $15,000."

"Korea recognizes that without extremely lethal tools, staging a mass shooting or armed robbery is very difficult. The only mass shooting that was committed by a Korean in Korea was that of a deranged police officer in the 1980s."

"It's not entertainment, media, mental illness or a tyrannical government that is causing these shootings. It's guns and if the US wants to close this dark chapter, then they need to be open to looking at other systems and not stuck on the dated ideal that guns are part of American life."

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Korean gun laws should serve as a model for the US - National Korean Headlines | Examiner.com

"If you hunt, then your registered gun is housed at the local police station where you can pick it up and drop it off in an allotted amount of time. If you violate this law, expect to spend up to ten years in prison and face fines up to $15,000."

"Korea recognizes that without extremely lethal tools, staging a mass shooting or armed robbery is very difficult. The only mass shooting that was committed by a Korean in Korea was that of a deranged police officer in the 1980s."

"It's not entertainment, media, mental illness or a tyrannical government that is causing these shootings. It's guns and if the US wants to close this dark chapter, then they need to be open to looking at other systems and not stuck on the dated ideal that guns are part of American life."
    One small problem with your plan.... in the US that would be against our Constitution. Guns ARE a part of our life, guaranteed by our Constitution. If you want to take that right away, change the Constitution. Good luck getting that done.

Apparently the author of this story has never seen a copy of "The Anarchist's Cookbook"....
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 12-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Nope, it's the world you are living in, and besides your logic is circular since it is not predetermined that your world needs to be that way. The world I'm living in -- many police do not have guns, and the criminals (what few there are) don't have guns either, and citizens don't have guns (after you finish hunting you need to check your gun back into the police office). Data from 2006 for your enjoyment...

* KR Gun homicides = 14
    * KR Unintentional gun deaths = 7

* USA Gun deaths (all causes) = 30,896

Any questions?
    yes, how does that stat stack up against the other causes of death in the US.. like heart disease or cancer.... wouldn't your efforts to save lives be better spent there where it would have a much greater impact, rather than expending your energy on a much smaller cause of death here?
    FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I'll just leave this right here....

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

not on the rug is offline Senior Member

3 huge facts that you keep ignoring.

1-mass shootings account for such a ridiculously small percentage of shooting deaths that they could practically be ignored. if it wasn't for the media overhyping them, anti gun idiots wouldn't have anything to talk about at all
    2-the shootings are being committed by criminals with illegal guns. if law enforcement can't seem to remove the guns from these people's hands now, how will they do it later on? as I suggested earlier, making much harsher penalties for crimes committed with illegal guns would be sending a message to the criminals that the us isn't messing around. I know that penalties don't deter criminals, but at least we could keep these scumbags off the street
    3-legally owned guns prevent crimes and protect innocent people from becoming victims of violent crimes. that is a hard fact that simply can't be ignored. taking firearms away from people would prevent americans from protecting themselves. which is a constitutional right. I know that some people refuse to believe that it is necessary. but it is.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    And so you didn't even think for one second about the observations, you just want to conclude what you already believe, rather than the story the observations tell. "Oh, but that's because they use knives instead, people will always find a way". And yet again, you're wrong…

2006 Homicide per 100,000

USA
    Gun death rate 4.29
    Total death rate 6.22

KR
    Gun death rate 0.0
    Total death rate 2.30

Guns are used in 69% of USA homicides, because guns are there. If you remove gun deaths, you see the USA homicide rate is only 1.93, actually less than KR. No guns means less guns deaths, and less deaths total.
    But once again, you're assuming that those gun deaths would just magically go away if we didn't have guns. You assume that people would say "I really want to kill someone, but since I don't have a gun, I'll just go watch Big Bang Theory instead.

The reality is that they would just use another tool. They would use a hammer or a knife or a car or a bomb or a machete or a frying pan or a pillow or a full bathtub or poison or an overdose of meds...

Heck, if you want to go Biblical, you could use the jawbone of an ass.

So, yes, statistically gun deaths would go down. But I don't think the person being killed really cares whether it's via gun or something else. Frankly, I'd prefer to die via a well placed gunshot than most other forms of murder.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

quikky is offline Senior Member
    The intentional homicide rate in South Korea per 100,000 is less than twice that of the US:

South Korea - 2.6
    United States - 4.7

Source: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems strange that with a country flooded with guns, we kill not even twice the amount of a country that seemingly has no guns. It's as if there's more to it than just guns.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    It's as if there's more to it than just guns.
    (strokes beard) perhaps...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Lots of violations of Occam's Razor on this page.

Let's face it; people just want their guns. So just man up and say that, don't make up a bunch of complexity around the topic. It's not complex.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Let's face it; people just want their guns. So just man up and say that, don't make up a bunch of complexity around the topic. It's not complex.
    Are you honestly suggesting the pro-gun voices in this thread not been painfully clear about wanting guns?

As you say, it's not a complex topic. Group A knows our constitution gives us a right to own firearms and that we have a right to defend ourselves effectively, and group B thinks violence in society exists because of firearms and will go away with a firearms ban, is content with being defenseless, and wants take this constitutional right away.