Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: American Weaponry page 49

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    I have plenty of friends with felonies, weird meds and alcohol issues who could just walk into a gun store with money and leave with less money and a gun.
    Where do you live that allows felons to legally purchase guns?

Sent via lightsaber

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Make sure criminals can't actually get guns. By regulating them and getting background checks for people who want to buy legally, which would be nice a start. I don't know in what state you live in or the laws of it, but I have plenty of friends with felonies, weird meds and alcohol issues who could just walk into a gun store with money and leave with less money and a gun. Hell I have friends who aren't even american citizens (and therefore have no easily accessible criminal records) who did the same. Those were legal gun stores.

It doesn't matter what laws you have if they are not being followed. If they're not being followed, you go in heavy on the regulations, the control checks, and heavy punishment by law for people who break those laws.
    You're either lying or your scumbag friends have illegal ties to gun dealers. The stuff you are talking about is felonious. So more criminals committing crimes. Now tell us how to stop scum from being scum and we'll have the entire issue solved
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Where do you live that allows felons to legally purchase guns?

Sent via lightsaber
    In Sweden, and you sure as hell cannot do that here. You have to wait several weeks after ordering the gun to get it, just to start with.. Plenty of american friends though, in several states. Alberta, NY suburbs, Florida... Hell I've tried it myself in a couple of places just to prove the point and if I was serious about it I would've gotten away with it in at least one or two stores I visited. Granted I don't have any felonies, but they also did not actually make any attempt to check every time.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just high strung about it because the attitude in my own country is so different from the US gun climate. Maybe I just saw some really shitty store owners by sheer fluke. Maybe it was some sort of gender stereotypes resulting from me being female and therefore automatically assumed to be harmless or something. Maybe you have a different point of view from actually living in the states. Maybe some of my friends blow up their own stories. All I can do is report my own experiences tho and I'm really not impressed by how Americans handle guns. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Reindeer; 12-04-2013 at 01:53 PM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    In fairness, I don't think having a felony on your record automatically prevents you from buying a gun. I think the felony has to be violent, related to drug trafficking, or the term for which was more than one year in prison. Someone with more legal knowledge can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I didn't bookmark the page, but I'm sure it's easily googled. Actually, the percentage of homes that report owning guns is down from the 1970s. Then, 50% of homes had guns; now about 30%. Some of the reasons given are more single person homes, and more women living alone as men are five times more likely to own a gun as are women.
    I wouldn't be too sure about those numbers. If a survey asked me whether or not there were guns in my home, I'd say no. A lot of other guns owners would do the same.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Schroeder View Post
    I'd just like to point out that the Bill Of Rights does actually contain a list of things that government is NOT allowed to ban / regulate / control.
    Yet we all know that you're not allowed to shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

The authors of the Bill of Rights wrote the word "arms". If that's an absolute, then why not allow flame-throwers or SAM's?

There is a democratic process here but we are a representative republic, not a "true" democracy in the way most people think of it. If a majority wanted to vote to censor or limit what people could talk or write about, or require people to testify against themselves, or outlaw a particular religion, etc., short of actually amending the constitution first, that wouldn't fly.
    Of course it "flies". See Bradey Manning or Julian Assange or William Snowden. Of course it's not those horrible democratic mobs but the vaunted represenatives that are doing the persecuting.
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about those numbers. If a survey asked me whether or not there were guns in my home, I'd say no. A lot of other guns owners would do the same.
    Good point. Same percentage of guns, but a higher percentage of (justified) paranoia.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    We make decisions like that because of actual data from experts. Not because a politician with a proven agenda says we should.
    Yes, politicians have agenda. So do trial lawyers. Juries ultimately decide. I don't know your point really. Gun violence can effect gun owner and non-gun-owner alike. If someone from the NRA wants to testify that clip size wouldn't make a difference, then they should testify.

The problem is that we can't do the simplest deliberation without a sizeable chunk of the population shouting about 2nd amendment.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Hell I've tried it myself in a couple of places just to prove the point and if I was serious about it I would've gotten away with it in at least one or two stores I visited. Granted I don't have any felonies, but they also did not actually make any attempt to check every time.
    The fact that you didn't actually go through with it leads me to believe that you didn't get to the point where you fill out the form with all your personal information, swearing that you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and they run your information through the National Instant Check System.

Granted, there are issues with that NICS, however one of the greatest issues is that our government often declines to investigate or prosecute those who commit perjury on that form. See Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 12-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    So again I ask, how would taking my guns and the guns of the law abiding citizens make this country a safer place?
    Ask this in Newtown.

Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast