Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much cocoa?

Question Too much cocoa?

Shop Now
    I have alot of cocoa powder everyday in desserts and instead of coffee, what are the dangers of doing this and what is a safe limit?

Thanks!
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

I wouldn't be worried about cocoa itself, more about these desserts. Any sweeteners, or too much dairy? What kind of desserts are we talking about?

What brand cocoa are you using?

Never sweeteners of dairy in the desserts. Usually banana ice cream or with coconut milk or I make my own chocolate with coconut oil mixed with cocoa powder and set hard. I am just using a standard tesco cocoa powder. I swear Im a REAL chocoholic, I wondered if there are actually any known downsides to too much. I banned myself from eating actual chocolate even the 100% stuff cos I just went overboard, all or nothing lol
    Last edited by rockstareddy; 06-12-2010 at 08:42 AM.
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

What brand is a good one and where do you purchase it? I looked at two grocery stores in town and Trader Joe's (they had none) and all I could find was Hershey's. At least I got Hershey's dark cocoa, but I know it's not the best. I don't eat it often, but I'd like to get a hold of some good stuff - do I have to go to Whole Foods or health food store? I also haven't been able to find coconut oil or flour, but I think I can find them at Whole Foods (about 40 min away, so I don't go often -- have only been primal for about a month now).

Let me know what brand you all like -- thanks!

I too am a victim of Tesco cocoa

High in carbs, and addictive are the problems I've found... also cocoa is a bean so technically not primal anyway. Meh.

If you're not looking to lose weight and are happy with things as they are, I think you'll be okay. Just keep an eye on it if things go a bit wierd?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I too am a victim of Tesco cocoa

High in carbs, and addictive are the problems I've found... also cocoa is a bean so technically not primal anyway. Meh.

If you're not looking to lose weight and are happy with things as they are, I think you'll be okay. Just keep an eye on it if things go a bit wierd?
    Despite the term "bean" being in the name, cacao is apparently an evergreen tree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobroma_cacao
    Don't think it's a legume, which makes me happy.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Well... consider me edumacated

I am impressed that you guys can eat it without sweetener. Whenever I put a tsp or 2 into whipping cream, it's SO SO SO bitter!

Shop Now
    I'm just curious, is cocoa powder just ground up unsweetened bitter chocolate? If you mix some cocoa powder in milk, does it create a half decent "chocolate milk"?