Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Too much cocoa? page 2

  1. #11
    tangentrider's Avatar
    tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    772
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreGrains View Post
    I'm just curious, is cocoa powder just ground up unsweetened bitter chocolate? If you mix some cocoa powder in milk, does it create a half decent "chocolate milk"?
    Not sure how it mixes in milk, but I mix it up in coconut milk for my morning beverage: it's like drinkable pudding. Yummy stuff.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

  2. #12
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    I've made a "coffee" with it. Heat water in a small pan, stir in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sweetener (optional.) It's like a creamless hot cocoa. Very yummy.

  3. #13
    Madelaine's Avatar
    Madelaine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3

    I Tend to Avoid Hershey's Dark Cocoa

    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    What brand is a good one and where do you purchase it? I looked at two grocery stores in town and Trader Joe's (they had none) and all I could find was Hershey's. At least I got Hershey's dark cocoa, but I know it's not the best. I don't eat it often, but I'd like to get a hold of some good stuff - do I have to go to Whole Foods or health food store? I also haven't been able to find coconut oil or flour, but I think I can find them at Whole Foods (about 40 min away, so I don't go often -- have only been primal for about a month now).

    Let me know what brand you all like -- thanks!
    If you think about it all cocoa powders are dark. They are, in fact, 100% cocoa. Hershey's Dark cocoa, on the other hand, uses a dutch process (alkali) witch generally decreases the amount of antioxidants and serve as an acid neutralizer that alters the color/flavor. It serves more of a distinct purpose when used in baking. Nonetheless, cocoa is a great treat if used wisely because these flavonols and antioxidants increase blood flow to the brain.

    As for the topics of a little "too much" cocoa, I don't think there's harm in it. It may actually be a good thing depending on your type of exercise and diet. The most considerable thing to look out for is the amount of caffeine you take in daily, so cocoa on top of coffee, tea, or soda could amount to a poor habit that could potentially affect your health.

  4. #14
    Madelaine's Avatar
    Madelaine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3

    Coco Powder Makes Amazing Chocolate/Hot Chocolate Milk

    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreGrains View Post
    I'm just curious, is cocoa powder just ground up unsweetened bitter chocolate? If you mix some cocoa powder in milk, does it create a half decent "chocolate milk"?
    I like to make hot chocolate with Hershey's (regular) unsweetened cocoa (a natural cocoa) and add pure maple syrup as a sweetener + skim milk. I've tried it cold, just before I heated it on the stove. Yes, it is amazing, so I would definitely suggest your own homemade chocolate milk (much better than anything you might buy at a store, and healthy).

    Maple syrup is also great and better than all other sweeteners. It has all sorts of minerals and is very good for the metabolism + the immune system, plus I find it doesn't even alter the chocolate flavor. I suppose you could use honey, which might alter the flavor, or sugar, which I would try to dissuade you off.
    Last edited by Madelaine; 03-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.

  5. #15
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Madelaine View Post
    If you think about it all cocoa powders are dark. They are, in fact, 100% cocoa. Hershey's Dark cocoa, on the other hand, uses a dutch process (alkali) witch generally decreases the amount of antioxidants and serve as an acid neutralizer that alters the color/flavor. It serves more of a distinct purpose when used in baking. Nonetheless, cocoa is a great treat if used wisely because these flavonols and antioxidants increase blood flow to the brain.

    As for the topics of a little "too much" cocoa, I don't think there's harm in it. It may actually be a good thing depending on your type of exercise and diet. The most considerable thing to look out for is the amount of caffeine you take in daily, so cocoa on top of coffee, tea, or soda could amount to a poor habit that could potentially affect your health.
    Hersey also makes an unsweeteened 100% cacao powder which is usually on the shelf right next to their dark dutch processed product. I use it to make hot chocolate (just hot water and a packet of Truvia). I also put it in my Greek yogurt and on my shredded coconut. It was rated best tasting by America's Test Kitchen. I think it is pretty good.

    http://www.hersheys.com/pure-product...nsweetened&f=0
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-10-2013 at 04:28 PM.

  6. #16
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    To find out whether you are consuming too much cocoa, just ask yourself if it is edging out bacon.

  7. #17
    Madelaine's Avatar
    Madelaine is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Hersey also makes an unsweeteened 100% cacao powder which is usually on the shelf right next to their dark dutch processed product. I use it to make hot chocolate (just hot water and a packet of Truvia). I also put it in my Greek yogurt and on my shredded coconut. It was rated best tasting by America's Test Kitchen. I think it is pretty good.

    http://www.hersheys.com/pure-product...nsweetened&f=0
    I definitely agree with that. I like to use Hershey's unsweetened cocoa, actually. Putting it on greek yogurt is a fantastic idea. I've had it on bananas -with honey-, too, and anything else to a reasonable extent.

  8. #18
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,933
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hershey's plain cocoa mixed in some coconut milk and few Stevia drops is my favorite and pretty much only sweet treat. Sometimes I add boiling water if I feel like in the mood for hot chocolate. Awesomness!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •