Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver question. page

VetTech is offline Junior Member

Liver question.

I just went ans ordered a half of beef from my butcher, this was the first time I asked for the liver. The lady told my that they don't sell the livers because, organic beef livers are full of parasites. Being that they have never had antibiotics or deworming treatments. Is this normal?
    I was kind of dumb founded and didn't know what to say. So I left without getting a liver dammit.

So that's what I get for not proofreading. If I may clarify.....I'm asking if it's normal for the butchers to not want to sell organic livers?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have never heard such a thing before in my life..... ask to speak to her superior. She could just be a complete crazy lady.

I buy liver from my local farmer, from www.honoredprairie.com, and from www.grasslandbeef.com. Nobody has ever made such a silly claim that I've encountered.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-26-2013 at 12:17 PM.

boxcarguy07 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah that's really wacky.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    have gotten beef liver from a local organic farm without issue.

if the liver was full of parasites, that was a damn sick cow.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Quite the saleswoman!

I've never heard this either. If I were you, I'd find out what farm the meat came from and contact them directly about the issue. I imagine they might be somewhat mortified to know people are saying their animals are full of parasites

I'm going to call the farm next week. Being that it's thanksgiving and all. Thanks for the replies. I thought it was odd myself. She said they get their beef and pigs from the same farm the local good food store does. It's certified organic and grass fed. It's weird, she also said the other organs are fine (heart,kidneys,etc) it's just the livers they won't sell.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Weird. I've never looked into whether liver typically carry parasites, but I usually keep mine frozen just in case. Same as I do with game animals.

Sent via lightsaber

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't aware animal livers would contain parasites, though I certainly don't know a lot about animal husbandry.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    roundworm and fluke are potential problems, but with proper herd management can be avoided.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast