Thread: Sleep Apnea Improving on PB! page

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member

Sleep Apnea Improving on PB!

Primal Fuel
    Hi MDA-ers,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (moderate) a year and a half ago. I did notice improvements once I started the CPAP and feel quite lame if I forget it, but now that I've been 21 days paleo, the AHI number on the machine dropped, so I lowered the pressure (I have the prog. code and Dr. permission to drop pressure) down a bit (from 12 to 8), and the AHI stayed low (<1.8 based on last reading, normal reading at 12 was usually 2.5-3.5). I'm wondering if I could keep lowering the pressure and watching the AHI, or if I should go in for another sleep study to determine if I even still need it. I'm not that overweight, but I have dropped 6-7 lbs or more since going paleo. At 5'10" and 200 lbs my BMI is high, but I have a muscular build (34" waist).

Has anyone else gone back for another study after going paleo and gotten a doctor's blessing for packing up the cpap in a closet?

If PB fixed my sleep apnea I would fly to california and hug Mark!

Randy

PS: AHI I believe is Average Hypopnea Index - a number that approximates obstructive incidents per hour. A good treatment range is below 5, during my test I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea for having about 26 incidents per hour (I'd stop breathing 26 times per hour). I believe I weighed about the same as I do now when I had the test done. The last time I tried to lower the pressure some (down to 10 from 12) the AHI went up and I had to restore the pressure to 12.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Removing the need for a cpap machine is a pretty standard benefit of paleo. I have no advice on what you SHOULD do, but if it was me, I would see how far I can go without it, whether that requires lowering settings on it or whatever (I have never used one of these so I neither know how it works or the risks) or just seeing what a night without it is like.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Thanks sbhikes,

I have read about other people eliminate their need for the cpap on PB, and that is certainly exciting!

I do miss the occasional night, but if I've been good otherwise I usually don't notice too much. After these last few nights at a significantly lower pressure, however, I found myself getting tired - put the pressure back up last night and lo and behold I feel better today... Maybe I'll give it some more time and go in for another sleep study some time soon. I trust the machine's analysis capability less now than I did. Still, the number going down is a good indicator, even if it's not indicating I can lower my pressure or stop using the CPAP yet. I have been feeling much better overall lately, and probably sleeping better, and that I can live with either way .

I use a Philips Respronics that's cpap only. It has the breathing assist thing (that I can't use b/c it annoys me and keeps me awake) but not Auto-pap. Does anyone on here use a more sophisticated machine they like? Does anyone analyze their own data in any way?

Superbeast is offline Member
    I have a ResMed S9 with the humidifier attachment... Swear that thing looks like a 1990s VHS tape rewinder meets Star Trek

I *should* be using it nightly. It's been a long time since I've actually set it up... I have a LOT of sympathy for supercharged/turbocharged engines now - Woken up many times feeling completely desiccated and like I'm having a tornado shoved down my gullet... I hate that feeling.

I like the machine... I hate the pressure setting. Haven't done a darned thing with the SD card that it has inserted either...
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbeast View Post
    I have a ResMed S9 with the humidifier attachment... Swear that thing looks like a 1990s VHS tape rewinder meets Star Trek

I *should* be using it nightly. It's been a long time since I've actually set it up... I have a LOT of sympathy for supercharged/turbocharged engines now - Woken up many times feeling completely desiccated and like I'm having a tornado shoved down my gullet... I hate that feeling.

I like the machine... I hate the pressure setting. Haven't done a darned thing with the SD card that it has inserted either...
    I feel you with the pressure thing... 12 isn't so high, but it can get uncomfortable at times. What I really hate is the odd night where I swallow a bunch of air and wake up in pain... That's probably the main reason I'm looking forward to not needing the thing any more. I still prefer the occasional pain over being tired all the time, though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app