Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (DML) page

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member

I have spent the last 8 days re-reading the Primal Blueprint and eliminating grains and sugar (8 days so far). I've been eating primally and doing somewhat less structured exercise for the past week. But, I like to "play", so I've been busy. In the past week, I've run a couple times, biked once, lifted four times, played racquetball with my son, and gone swimming a few times.

My main goal is to lose body fat without giving up muscle. In the past week, my weight has dropped 2 pounds, my strength seems fine, and cravings are virtually gone. Now, it's time for a whole month of this.

DML

dml

I guess I should quantify my goals a bit more.

I am at 199 pounds right now. A year ago, I was at 184 with 13%BF. I'd like to eventually get to 10%BF or so, but I've added lean mass in the past year. So, for this month, I'd like to drop 6 or so pounds of fat. Five would be fine, 8 would be great, as long as I'm going the right direction. Basically, my first goal is 195 pounds. Then, 190. Then, 185. And at that weight, I want to re-assess where I am before making any other goals.

So, 14 total pounds, in small chunks, and then re-assess.

And, have fun. And, get my wife and 16-year-old son to read The Primal Blueprint.

DML

dml

Meals were dead on yesterday. Did a tough lower body workout at the gym. At night, did some very low intensity running - an easy 45 minute run to the pool, where I spent some time swimming with the family.

It's been 10 days now without sugar or grains and it's getting easier.

dml

One more day eating well and shunning alcohol. I was a bit tired, but managed a nice low-intensity workout.

The only bad thing was going to 4+ hour punk rock concert that cost me some sleep. I'll make up for that tonight.

dml

Made up for the lost sleep. Enjoyed a relaxing evening without the kids at home, ate a quiet (Primal) dinner with my wife, and got to bed early.

Each passing day makes the avoidance of grains and sugars easier and easier. Caffeine, dairy (very limited to high quality cheeses and some cream), and artificial sweeteners are tougher, but I'm making progress.

Even though my weight isn't changing right now, at least not much, my body is clearly changing shape for the better.

dml

Another spot-on day of eating. Some fruit. Some grass-fed meats. Lots of veggies. Lots of local food. No grains, no carbs other than fruits or veggies, and no sugar.

I'm still working on the artificial sweeteners and the use of dairy.

Because I'm not doing any really long workouts, the low carbs haven't been an issue, but I was thinking about a longer bike ride tomorrow at a moderate pace. I'm curious how that will go.

dml

Two-plus weeks of no sugars or grains. Things are going well except for struggling with some non-primal workouts this past weekend.

On Saturday, I did a very slow but very hilly 46 mile bike ride. I ate some jerky, almonds and 2 bananas during the ride and got through it OK. But, then, I ate primally the rest of the day on Saturday and my wife dragged me out for a 10 mile run yesterday. I just had no energy at all and for the first time in my life, I struggled to keep up with my wife. Good for her though.

Today, I go back to the gym for a short, tough strength workout, which I'm sure will go much better than the weekend "chronic cardio" workouts.

dml

Food continues to go well - no cheats of any kind.

Yesterday was a solid workout - squat day in the gym and I added some weights to each lift from the previous week.

I also had an MRI on a hamstring that I hurt in April. The injury has messed up my racing season and prevents me from doing sprint workouts at present. Hopefully, though, the MRI will show a specific injury and then I'll have a Platelet Rich Plasma treatment done at the end of the month to try to fix the problem.

dml

Eating continues to go well. Last night was a short but intense upper body lifting session.

Today, I rest, something I need to do more often.

dml

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thursday was one of those "life gets in the way" days - wicked busy at work until very late. I ended up meeting my wife and son for a late dinner at a nice restaurant and for the first time this month, ate something non-primal. I had about half a cup of fresh creamed corn, which served as a bed for lobster and scallops.

It was a really relaxing and enjoyable dinner and except for the corn, very primal. This morning, I got to the gym early and did a hard leg day before I started work. My weekend looks very relaxing - a few workouts, some swimming (for fun, not a workout), farmers market, grilling some dead animals for meals, and some rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast