Thread: Conventional doc experiences primal awakening...and writes a book page

jturk is offline Senior Member

Conventional doc experiences primal awakening...and writes a book

Primal Fuel
    So I went primal/paleo/ancestral about 3 or 4 years ago now. Mass awesomeness ensued, including the disappearance of my migraines - ironic since I’m a neurologist and migraine “expert”.

Since then I've been on a professional mission to spread the word to as many patients and colleagues as I can, and have just written a book on ancestral eating for migraine sufferers. It was set for release December 1, but is actually out a little early and already available.

So...if you know someone who suffers from migraines and would like to gently introduce them to your primal ways (I’ve found that “here’s how to eat to get rid of your migraines” is typically received better than “here’s how to eat to be healthier”), feel free to pass it along.

And, of course, other primally minded migraine sufferers will likely find the book of interest as well.

I’ll also be blogging about all things related to ancestral health and migraine at the newly launched website for the book. My wife Jenny, who is also the restaurant critic for the Atlanta paper (and a fabulous cook), wrote the recipes for the book and the ones for the website.

Grok on peeps.

JenniferCampbell is offline Junior Member
    Interesting. I always appreciate new approaches to solving problems that are for some, seemingly unsolvable.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    So...if you know someone who suffers from migraines and would like to gently introduce them to your primal ways (I’ve found that “here’s how to eat to get rid of your migraines” is typically received better than “here’s how to eat to be healthier”), feel free to pass it along.
    Super annoying though isn't it? It's beyond frustrating to me that one should have to dress up a healthy behavior pattern as some sort of symptom treatment protocol for it to be accepted by the mind numbed masses. Just another indicator that all things are going to hell in our health system. You got migraine? I got a (now replace the word "pill" with "diet") for that. Bah. Silliness. A condemnation of the system we are working under.... not the book BTW.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I know what you mean NH. I have a friend that is overweight and has a slew of health problems. She's vegetarian and her diet is just variations of carbs (I'm sure her triglycerides are through the rough), anyway I could see her trying the migraine diet because she gets debilitating headaches. But change her diet for overall health? No.

But I've stopped recommending dietary changes or books to people, I've yet to find anyone (other than hubby and son) that is interested or motivated to change.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I know what you mean NH. I have a friend that is overweight and has a slew of health problems. She's vegetarian and her diet is just variations of carbs (I'm sure her triglycerides are through the rough), anyway I could see her trying the migraine diet because she gets debilitating headaches. But change her diet for overall health? No.

But I've stopped recommending dietary changes or books to people, I've yet to find anyone (other than hubby and son) that is interested or motivated to change.
    Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. Obviously, as a physician I encounter this issue daily, and it's very rare I see someone off the bat who's willing to make meaningful diet and lifestyle changes in the name of health. Every now and again someone will say, usually somewhat apologetically (likely anticipating my disappointment), "is there anything I can do for this that doesn't involve taking medications?" At which point I must consciously suppress my enthusiasm so as to not scare them off altogether.

That said, I do have the advantage of being able to follow patients over time, in some cases over several years. And I've definitely seen folks go from being completely unwilling to entertain the idea of change to ultimately making major changes for the better. So, even in those who are just in my office for a prescription, I'll still plant the seeds. They may not pay off in the short term, but it starts the process, and may ultimately bear fruit (even if it's years later).

So, at the end of the day, I'm able to help more people if I approach things as a pragmatist and not an idealist (something it took me a while to fully accept).