Thread: Too many calories at a meal? page

Melbyrd is offline Junior Member

Too many calories at a meal?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

I've been sticking the the primal way of eating for the past few weeks. I consume about 1800 calories a day. Doing 50-60%fat and around 100 grams of protein. I eat less than 100 grams of good carb a day. No dairy (except for coffee cream), legumes, soda, minimal fruit, no grains, nothing processed. I've noticed I've hit a plateau, however. Do you guys have any suggestions? I do primal workouts 4-5 days a week.

Also, is it possible to have too many calories at one meal? Although I am eating 1700-1800 daily about 700 of those were all at dinner tonight.

Thanks!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    When you plateau it may be time to drop the carbs lower. You could go for below 75 or below 50 and see if that helps. I don't think you can consume too many calories in one meal, I mean there are people here that only eat once a day so...

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Have you addressed the inflammation issue? How's your omega 3:6 ratio and what's your history of keeping track of it? Also what about general nutrition? Are you making sure to get enough of every single essential nutrient?

Most people do find 50g of carbs or lower to be optimal but there are other factors to address too. Are you feeling stressed out or hungry?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Melbyrd is offline Junior Member
    My Omega 3 ratio is very good..it was actually too high & had to cut back on some of the fish oil. Less than 50 carbs seems pretty low..are you suggesting this until I reach my goal? I'm about 21% body fat right now.

Stress--yeah my job is flying airplanes for the navy so I always have a decent amount of stress. Goes with the territory.

The Primal book puts out weight loss at 50-100 carbs a day & I've been sticking to that. I could go lower for a temporary period, but cutting out all those veggies seems like it wouldn't be a good idea long term.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Since fish oil is inflammatory and destructive by itself it's usually a good idea not to just go heavy on the fish oil but also reduce the omega 6 greatly so you don't have to take so much fish oil. Some smart supplements like vitamin e (mixed tocopherols) and grapeseed extract can also help with this sort of thing. How about micronutrients? Sometimes when people cut out all of the neolithic junk they miss out on one critical mineral or vitamin and it can make a huge impact. I did that with magnesium. How about vitamin d levels?

Other than that stuff I think your body might just be adjusting. Are you feeling good?

With regards to stress I understand that flying airplanes can have the potential for super high stress but remember that there is no such thing as an intrinsic stressor and we don't have to evoke the kind of stress that is detrimental. I really liked this guy's blog regarding stress. He says to try to be stimulated and confident but not negatively stressed. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-myth-stress

Then again your body might just be taking a breath or two.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-10-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I am not suggesting you cut your veg intake drastically I don't think... I eat veggies (dark leafy greens etc) and don't accumulate too many carbs. Which veggies are you eating that are high carb?

I was just suggesting you try something different to break through your plateau. I hit a huge pateau and dropping my carbs has helped.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    You may actually not eat enough. Try varying it a little - overeat on one day, then eat much less on the following day. Or throw in 1-2 fasting days each week, and eat a little bit more on the non-fasting days. The goal is to keep your metabolism high while on a weekly average basis lowering your daily caloric intake.

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    i agree, i do not think it eating to much in one meal is going to be an issue to be honest.
    I am a daily IFer, and sometimes I eat only 1 big meal that hits about 2000 calories!

I agree though, i think your calories might be to low. try cycling them like others said!

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Too much calories in one meal?

The "extra" calories will just get stored in your adipose fat tissue just like any other time you eat.

You just have to make sure you maintain an environment in your body so that you can access those calories for times when you are not eating.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Here's my favorite suggestion. Have you tried IFing at least a little. Perhaps giving your body some time to burn it's stored fats would help you with your plateau. +1 on the lowering the carbs thing too.