Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

Hybrid View

SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

Been pretty strict primal for a 16 days (not a gigantic change from my previous eating habits), had a good portion of liver for the last couple days, and I feel AMAZING. I feel like I just drank a few coffees, but without the stomach ache, shakes, and crash! It's also superbly filling - liver for breakfast and I wasn't hungry at all until mid afternoon. I don't know if I was deficient in something in the liver (grass fed pasture rasied from whole foods $4/lb), but whatever it was I'm really glad I got some! I've done some reading and have come up with some numbers for avoiding dangerous levels of vitamin A. I wonder if there are any other dangers from eating liver every morning... It's way better than coffee (I gave up the high octane stuff b/c it wrecks my sleep quality and overall energy levels quick).

Anyone else have any similar experiences with liver or any other specific foods? Anyone have any good reason not to eat liver frequently (other than vitamin A toxicity, something I've accounted for)?

Yes. I feel awesome for a good two or three days every time I eat some. I eat about a pound a week. But not lately... I've got to thaw me some liver! Small amounts daily are often what people do.

Some say retinol is not a dangerous form of vitamin A. But somehow all agree not to eat polar bear liver? It's fine, you're not going to overdose on beef or chicken liver unless you try.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 11-21-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

That's great news! How did you make it? I haven't tried liver yet; would be willing to give it a shot with a good recipe.

(Of course, I should probably check out the recipe forum. Heh.)
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    That's great news! How did you make it? I haven't tried liver yet; would be willing to give it a shot with a good recipe.

(Of course, I should probably check out the recipe forum. Heh.)
    The easiest way to get a lot of liver in your diet is just to make a chili, sear off the liver then run it through the blender, and put it in the chili. It makes the chili so rich and creamy, yet you don't get any liver taste.

Dat B12.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Dat B12.
    I've regularly taken a B150 supplement (admittedly low b12 levels in that and multivitamins), and I tried also taking straight B12 for a while and it never had any noticable effect. I wonder if the vitamin B's in the liver are more bioavailable?

Quote Originally Posted by I_EAT_COWS View Post
    I wonder if the vitamin B's in the liver are more bioavailable?
    You got it.

I wonder if the vitamin B's in the liver are more bioavailable?
    Definitely.

I like beef liver for taste and nutrient density. I also feel that beef liver is the safest to eat as cows have amazing digestive systems.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

I've regularly taken a B150 supplement (admittedly low b12 levels in that and multivitamins), and I tried also taking straight B12 for a while and it never had any noticable effect. I wonder if the vitamin B's in the liver are more bioavailable?
    They are definitely more bioavailable from the liver......most B vitamin supplements are somewhat poorly absorbed, thats why you didn't notice an effect.....phosphorylated B vitamin supplements are the best absorbed, but I think you have to get them online, I have never seen them in any store. In almost all cases, food sources of any nutrient are far superior to any supplement. This includes fish oil supplements. I am currently researching fish oil, not sure that it is doing us any good at all compared to fatty fish.
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

I am going to whole foods tomorrow to get some grass-fed beef liver, gotta try this stuff! I remember not liking the taste 30 years ago, so thanks to all for the cooking tips......I'm gonna have to experiment. Oh, am I gonna grow a tail?
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!