Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER! page

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member

SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

Shop Now
    Been pretty strict primal for a 16 days (not a gigantic change from my previous eating habits), had a good portion of liver for the last couple days, and I feel AMAZING. I feel like I just drank a few coffees, but without the stomach ache, shakes, and crash! It's also superbly filling - liver for breakfast and I wasn't hungry at all until mid afternoon. I don't know if I was deficient in something in the liver (grass fed pasture rasied from whole foods $4/lb), but whatever it was I'm really glad I got some! I've done some reading and have come up with some numbers for avoiding dangerous levels of vitamin A. I wonder if there are any other dangers from eating liver every morning... It's way better than coffee (I gave up the high octane stuff b/c it wrecks my sleep quality and overall energy levels quick).

Anyone else have any similar experiences with liver or any other specific foods? Anyone have any good reason not to eat liver frequently (other than vitamin A toxicity, something I've accounted for)?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yes. I feel awesome for a good two or three days every time I eat some. I eat about a pound a week. But not lately... I've got to thaw me some liver! Small amounts daily are often what people do.

Some say retinol is not a dangerous form of vitamin A. But somehow all agree not to eat polar bear liver? It's fine, you're not going to overdose on beef or chicken liver unless you try.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 11-21-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    That's great news! How did you make it? I haven't tried liver yet; would be willing to give it a shot with a good recipe.

(Of course, I should probably check out the recipe forum. Heh.)
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Dat B12.

Thanks Knifegill! Glad I'm not alone I'm looking forward to keeping liver in my diet and experimenting with more offal in the near future.

I like liver best cooked in a pan in olive oil. Keeping it covered with a tight lid while cooking makes a huge difference in keeping it moist and edible. I like to cover it in pepper and eat with habenero hot sauce (the green stuff you always see in Mexican restaurants).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I_EAT_COWS View Post
    I like liver best cooked in a pan in olive oil. Keeping it covered with a tight lid while cooking makes a huge difference in keeping it moist and edible. I like to cover it in pepper and eat with habenero hot sauce (the green stuff you always see in Mexican restaurants).
    Thanks! I'll pick some up today. Er -- beef liver? Chicken? Other?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Jackie, chicken livers seem to be the most forgiving as far as not drying out when cooked, but I've never compared the nutritional value of it vs beef liver.

I haven't tried this particular recipe, but I bookmarked it just yesterday because it looks interesting. Also, for people who don't appreciate the taste of liver, this has sweet potato and ground beef to temper it a bit: Boulettes au Foie | the PRIME pursuit
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_EAT_COWS View Post
    Been pretty strict primal for a 16 days (not a gigantic change from my previous eating habits), had a good portion of liver for the last couple days, and I feel AMAZING. I feel like I just drank a few coffees, but without the stomach ache, shakes, and crash! It's also superbly filling - liver for breakfast and I wasn't hungry at all until mid afternoon. I don't know if I was deficient in something in the liver (grass fed pasture rasied from whole foods $4/lb), but whatever it was I'm really glad I got some! I've done some reading and have come up with some numbers for avoiding dangerous levels of vitamin A. I wonder if there are any other dangers from eating liver every morning... It's way better than coffee (I gave up the high octane stuff b/c it wrecks my sleep quality and overall energy levels quick).

Anyone else have any similar experiences with liver or any other specific foods? Anyone have any good reason not to eat liver frequently (other than vitamin A toxicity, something I've accounted for)?
    Rats get lots of energy when they eat liver*, and so do you. So no offense, but logic has PROVEN that you're a rat

*cite: Beneficial Effect of Low-Fat Diets on the Swimming Performance of Rats and Mice in Cold Water
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Jackie, chicken livers seem to be the most forgiving as far as not drying out when cooked, but I've never compared the nutritional value of it vs beef liver.

I haven't tried this particular recipe, but I bookmarked it just yesterday because it looks interesting. Also, for people who don't appreciate the taste of liver, this has sweet potato and ground beef to temper it a bit: Boulettes au Foie | the PRIME pursuit
    Thanks, Joanie!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Thanks! I'll pick some up today. Er -- beef liver? Chicken? Other?
    I used grass fed, pastured beef liver from whole foods. Haven’t tried other animals' livers yet. I also tried some cheap beef liver that was not grass fed – much yuckier tasting… At $4/lb why not get the good stuff?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast