Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER! page 11

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here is my method for cooking beef liver. There are a few things you need to do in order to remove the nastiness but it is possible.

1. Purchase beef liver that is sliced very thin. I would recommend 1/4" or less. I don't know if it is coincidence, but liver has always turned out less gamey for me the thinner it is.

2. Trim off any veiny or off color areas with a sharp knife.

3. Soak liver in whole milk over night.

4. The next day, sautee chopped onions and garlic in butter. The more onions the better, seriously I generally go through 1 white onion per serving of liver.

5. Push the onions to the side of the pan and fry the liver at high heat in the sautee mixture, flip and cook the other side.

6. Salt and pepper to taste.

7. Serve the liver completely covered in the sauteed onions and make sure you get a lot of onions in your mouth every bite

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimenyKrickets View Post
    Here is my method for cooking beef liver. There are a few things you need to do in order to remove the nastiness but it is possible.

1. Purchase beef liver that is sliced very thin. I would recommend 1/4" or less. I don't know if it is coincidence, but liver has always turned out less gamey for me the thinner it is.

2. Trim off any veiny or off color areas with a sharp knife.

3. Soak liver in whole milk over night.

4. The next day, sautee chopped onions and garlic in butter. The more onions the better, seriously I generally go through 1 white onion per serving of liver.

5. Push the onions to the side of the pan and fry the liver at high heat in the sautee mixture, flip and cook the other side.

6. Salt and pepper to taste.

7. Serve the liver completely covered in the sauteed onions and make sure you get a lot of onions in your mouth every bite

This was how I was trying to do it, although I didn't know about the milk trick (does it really make that much difference?) I do have a lb of grassfed liver in my freezer right now, but I've decided that I just don't enjoy it. I don't want to have to choke down a meal once a week that I dislike, so my new plan is to stock up on some grass fed liverwurst from US Wellness and just eat a bit of that every week.

Maybe I will give it one more try soaked in milk this week to see if it makes a difference, but honestly I think part of it is psycho-somatic - I just get a little creeped out about eating organ meats in general. Liverwurst doesn't give me the same willies, maybe because I ate the Oscar Meyer stuff on sandwiches a lot as a kid so I'm used to the flavor and texture.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I eat liver about 3 times a week, diced and mixed in with mince, onion and originally mushrooms, but I'm off them now, so I mix in chopped bacon with the onions. Basically I fry up diced onions with bacon in coconut oil, then add a mixture of minced/ground meat and liver. I ring the changes between beef, lamb/mutton and pork mince and beef, lamb and pork livers. It probably works best to match the meat type, but I don't always find beef or lamb liver so more often than not it's pork liver with whatever.

Proportions are about 1:1 meat:liver by weight and I just fry it all up together in the pan so it's like a dry pie filling. Admittedly I will also eat liver on its own, but I used to hate it as a kid. Now I'll happily fry some up and keep it in the fridge in small slices for snacking on. I started doing the mince/liver fry-up because my father can't chew meat properly and it adds extra nutrition to the basic meat. He seems fine with it and eats the liver as happily as the mince, though he's always been happy with the taste and with plenty of oil, the liver stays moist.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Interesting post. I've got to start eating some liver! Im not keen on the idea of organ meat or the taste of liver so I want to find a way to mask the flavour.

Im concerned that soaking the liver in milk may actually draw out some of the livers nutrients, and get wasted in the discarded milk.
    Does anyone know that this in fact does not occur?
    Thanks!

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    That's great news! How did you make it? I haven't tried liver yet; would be willing to give it a shot with a good recipe.

(Of course, I should probably check out the recipe forum. Heh.)
    The easiest way to get a lot of liver in your diet is just to make a chili, sear off the liver then run it through the blender, and put it in the chili. It makes the chili so rich and creamy, yet you don't get any liver taste.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

I don't really love beef liver (chicken liver I grew up eating a lot... But I am avoiding all things chicken/pork). I still eat grassfed beef liver about once every 2 weeks.

I think liver is magical. I attribute my A+ final to liver. Lol. I strategically scarfed down a piece of liver and avoided PUFA like the plague during finals reading period.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-16-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yup magical is the word

I don't have any special prep for mine. What I did last night though after a heavy lift day:

12 oz of liver lightly sauteed (30-60 seconds per side) in butter with salt and pepper. Take it out and put aside.

1 very large onion cooked in like 3-4 tablespoons of butter with lots of garlic, salt, pepper and tumeric.

Put whole mess over liver and scarf down in record time.

Nillos is offline Senior Member
    Haven't had liver in a while since I can't find a good substitute for onions (and I try to stay away from onions due to terrible fodmap issues :/).
    So basically I'm stuck with liver sauteed in some red wine. Is there any way to make it more interesting without the onions?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillos View Post
    Haven't had liver in a while since I can't find a good substitute for onions (and I try to stay away from onions due to terrible fodmap issues :/).
    So basically I'm stuck with liver sauteed in some red wine. Is there any way to make it more interesting without the onions?
    Pate. Or you could mix puréed liver into ground beef.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Nillos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Or you could mix puréed liver into ground beef.
    Oh I've tried that twice and people complained about the taste even though it was only 1:5 liver:ground meat. Might try it again but with the smallest piece of liver I can get around here being at 150g that might be a bit too much on the livery side even for me if I only make 1 portion.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast