Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gummy Bear Recipe? page

  1. #1
    dallytante's Avatar
    dallytante is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    61

    Gummy Bear Recipe?

    Does anybody have a basic recipe involving gelatin and fruit juice/smoothie, that will produce gummy bears and not jelly bears? Anything somebody's tried that resembles the texture of Haribo bears?

  2. #2
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    The one that is circulated is posted in my journal. It doesn't have the haribo gummy bear texture though... More like a jello + gummy hybrid.

    I am going to experiment with pH, starch, and coconut oil this weekend. Going to make a big batch of gummy mixture and add different stuff to it. Doing a 3 independent variable experiment hahaha.

    http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Gummy-Candy.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  3. #3
    dallytante's Avatar
    dallytante is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    The one that is circulated is posted in my journal. It doesn't have the haribo gummy bear texture though... More like a jello + gummy hybrid.

    I am going to experiment with pH, starch, and coconut oil this weekend. Going to make a big batch of gummy mixture and add different stuff to it. Doing a 3 independent variable experiment hahaha.

    How gummy candy is made - manufacture, making, history, used, processing, steps, product, industry, machine, History, Raw Materials, The Manufacturing Process, Quality Control, The Future


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ended up trying something last night that produced a hard jelly/gummy, buuuuut...it had a gelatin taste. I have the Great Lakes Beef gelatin, and used it with berry juice. More sweetness and flavour is needed.

  4. #4
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    The one that is circulated is posted in my journal. It doesn't have the haribo gummy bear texture though... More like a jello + gummy hybrid.

    I am going to experiment with pH, starch, and coconut oil this weekend. Going to make a big batch of gummy mixture and add different stuff to it. Doing a 3 independent variable experiment hahaha.
    1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid + 1oz sugar added to 2 cups of fruit juice gives a nice balance of sweetness and tangyness.

  5. #5
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743

    Gummy Bear Recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    I ended up trying something last night that produced a hard jelly/gummy, buuuuut...it had a gelatin taste. I have the Great Lakes Beef gelatin, and used it with berry juice. More sweetness and flavour is needed.
    1.5 cup fluids, 1 c sugar, .5 cup gelatin is the ratio. Let the gelatin "bloom" into cold 1c fluid first. Then heat everything together on medium.
    I would use at least .5 cup juice.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  6. #6
    Markbt's Avatar
    Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    Does anybody have a basic recipe involving gelatin and fruit juice/smoothie, that will produce gummy bears and not jelly bears? Anything somebody's tried that resembles the texture of Haribo bears?
    I am at work and don't have the book with me, but Tim Ferriss has a recipe for olive oil gummy bears in his FOur Hour Chef book. I haven't tried them and don't remember what he used to make them gummy, but if you have access to the book you may want to look there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    39
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could try these. I haven't made them but most of the stuff on her site rocks.

    Homemade Healthy Fruit Snacks - Wellness Mama

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •