Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization page

JeffC is offline Senior Member

Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization

Primal Fuel
    This is a new book being released in the UK. It sounds very interesting and from the review seems to support many elements of the "Primal Blueprint".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-1993055.html

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    The author was on The Colbert Report last night and I thought the same thing. His thesis seemed to be that farming and eating grains had brought about the obesity, diabetes, heart disease epidemic.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm certainly not a fan of grains and think that they're sub-optimal but I wouldn't be so quick to blame those diseases on grains, or at least the level that we're seeing now. Many cultures have lived on lots of grains and didn't suffer anywhere near as greatly as is seen today. Sure they were smaller, weaker, and degenerated more quickly than the hunter-gatherers under similar environmental conditions but different diets. These cultures were eating the "better" grains (not wheat, oats, etc and not highly processed into kashi bars or some shit) and they were soaked/sprouted or even fermented. It's undeniable that the agricultural revolution made humans less healthy but eventually we adapted to a degree both in our genetics and our memetics and I really really wouldn't point all of this catastrophy solely on traditional agriculture. More like modern chemistry and bastardization of the food supply in general. Not to mention all of the other factors like vitamin d deficiency.

Oh except for wheat. Wheat can suck it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Wheat can suck it.
    Agreed!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Not to mention all of the other factors like vitamin d deficiency.
    this.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    and chronic stress. Instead of sitting around a campfire swapping tall tales we sit and watch three hours of tension-inducing, highly realistic angst-ridden drama and crime.

We constantly deal with strangers. People's brains are wired for small communities.

Exogenic pseudo-hormones, don't know the correct term, but the hormone like substances in plastics and chemicals.

Electromagnetic radiation pops its head up now and then. I've yet to see any decent, nutjob-free research on it, but given the importance of tiny electrical fields to the function of cells and the body in general, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a grain of truth in it.

But I don't have any issues with putting agriculture front-and-center in the lineup.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    People's brains are wired for small communities.
    Do you have more information on this?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    um. no. I've seen pretty solid things on it... American Scientific 'Mind' magazine maybe... makes sense when you think about it, given that for a fair bit of human history, we lived in small bands. I think around 100 is the maximum number of individuals you can maintain meaningful relationships with. Try googling?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dunba...er-group-size/

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    Desmond Morris, a zoologist, touches on this through various writings (some think he's a whack job, but I think he has brought up some valid points and observations), but there is quite a bit of research out there if you look that talks about how small groups are better for humans to live in. Less crime, healthier relationships, less stres etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast