Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization page 3

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Helen in Oz. I understand your comments about Army families but I see it a little differently......
    Interesting perspective, Matt.

Here, it depends to some extent on your posting - in the larger cities, people are housed out in the broader community and there isn't the strong social network that the smaller, more remote army bases have. That suits some people, especially younger single folk who prefer the city social life, but it can be isolating as a married parent. I've preferred the country postings where the army community maintains closer contact.

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Started reading this last night... about 50 pages in. Really good... go pick it up!
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I've almost finished, and I agree. A very good book. People tend to talk about the various broken aspects of our society in pieces, but they should be looked at holistically. You cannot change just one thing and not expect a whole series of things to change as a result. Wells raises some very interesting issues, which I think could very well all be a direct result of our agricultural heritage.

Finished. Good book and I especially liked the last chapter. It was, however, a little like reading a first grade primer on what is wrong with our society. I think I'm ready for some Derrick Jensen....

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member
    I just finished this last nite. Excellent book. He covers a wide array of topics that you might not always think about when discussing human impact on the earth and how we changed our way of life.
    I recommend it. Roughly 200 pages but a quick read. He goes through topics such as gene therapy/selection, diet, theology/religion, technology, climate change, etc. All stemming back to the "cost of civilization". Very interesting.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    There was another review of this book in this weekend's (July 3/4 2010) edition of the Financial Times. It was very positive.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I got through it a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Katt, it seemed a very basic level for this forum crowd. Good info for the general public though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asturian View Post
    I got through it a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Katt, it seemed a very basic level for this forum crowd. Good info for the general public though.
    Absolutely. A very good entry level introduction to the subject for the general public. Which is why I love the book. Wells makes a very good case, gives his foundational reasoning and then asks people to think about some pretty difficult questions. I think he isn't quite up to speed on the latest data regarding saturated fats, but all in all, an excellent beginning.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Anyone interested in this book, will also love the vegetarian myth. It follows the same arguments and many more. Opens your eyes to the deep rooted problems in society.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Anyone interested in this book, will also love the vegetarian myth. It follows the same arguments and many more. Opens your eyes to the deep rooted problems in society.
    I'll second L. Keith's book as a must read. I'm a bit disinterested in Pandora's Seed. I've got the last two chapters to read yet but I'm in no hurry to get through it. The Vegetarian Myth I couldn't put down--even when it got preachy in places.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123