Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization page 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Since I have cut back considerably on grains I feel that my overal health has improved so from my own personal experience I agree with the author. I can't pin everything on grains themselves but they have to be a major consideration for a lot of our health issues we face today with the fact a lot of people are either just lazy or very uninformed.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

tcee is offline Junior Member
    There's also a talk of Spencer Wells (unfortunately without slide):
    http://spoken-gems.com/2010/06/10/sp...-civilisation/

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've been a big fan of Wells ever since reading The Journey of Man. (And he's got a professorship here that means he'll be visiting at least once a year for the next couple of years - woohoo!)

He gave a lecture on some of the topics from his book... very interesting. It seems to put together a lot of ideas that I've read separately - about the health issues from eating an agricultural diet, the rise of diseases based on lifestyle, living in bigger communities than we're equipped to handle, chronic stress, our effects on the environment, the effects of organized religion, etc.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I also love Spencer Wells and his book Journey of Man - so after seeing him on the Colbert Report, I immediately ordered Pandora's Seed. It should arrive tomorrow (amazon two day). I'll give a book report when I've got my hands on it.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to check out this author. Thanks for the information re: smaller groups. That really spoke to me when I read it. It makes me wish that I lived in a small village, haha. Right now, I live in a pretty suburban area, right outside a city. The older I've gotten, the more drawn I've been to the idea of moving to a smaller town...even though I'm pretty much the antithesis of what most small town people would be accepting of...at least at first until they got to know me.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Fyrespryte, when I blogged about this a while back, a city-dweller commented that urban people form 'tribes' within the city. That's why cities seem unfriendly to strangers - people don't really acknowledge strangers much or it just gets overwhelming. You focus on the network of people that you live and work with. You can have several overlapping tribes - your workmates, your family, your old school mates, the guys at the gym. Other people only get as much interaction as required.

I think it's one of the many reasons that army families struggle - partners are constantly being ripped out of their social networks and reforming new ones, every time we get posted. It's very difficult.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Helen in Oz. I understand your comments about Army families but I see it a little differently. Having been shipped here and there I think it actually prepared my family more for the ever changing world and allowed us to build on our communication skills with new people. The good thing about the Army is theres always a common bond to break the ice. It can be harder on the kids if the parents don't properly prepare them but it can also be seen as a blessing.

I am in sales and my pitch is no matter where you live whether its in Atlanta, NY, San Fran or Middle of nowhere Missouri, people will always make a small community where they live. I live in ATL and I go to the same barber shop, the same dry cleaners, etc. We create smaller communities to feel more included and welcome. Of course i have access to the big city yet we hardly ever go and its only 20 minutes away by car. We have the option but 90% of the time you're going to stay within a 15-25 minute window of where you live.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Ordered soon after watching his interview on The Daily Show. It's next on my list.

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Thanks for sharing. Going to see if Borders has it tonight.
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

periquin is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't know how many of you will be familiar with the story, but I doubt that there could have been a "Kitty Genovese" situation in a smaller community.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast