Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long should I do Starting Strength? page 2

emerson is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty sure Rip says it straight in the book; after you fail sets, reset and build back up and fail those sets again you've done what SS can do considering you've been sufficiently recovering from what might be the single most taxing non-combat activity one could involve them self in. The progression is different for each lift. It would be time to read Progressive Programming. And when that happens - congrats - consider yourself an intermediate.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rip says it straight in the book; after you fail sets, reset and build back up and fail those sets again you've done what SS can do considering you've been sufficiently recovering from what might be the single most taxing non-combat activity one could involve them self in. The progression is different for each lift. It would be time to read Progressive Programming. And when that happens - congrats - consider yourself an intermediate.
    Yeah, I think he knows what Rip says and was looking for a second opinion.

In retrospect, I would have switched to intermediate programming after the second stall at the same weight, rather than deloading again and ending up stuck there a third time after many wasted weeks. Some people stall, deload, and push way past their sticking point. I didn't.

But if I could progress by 5 pounds a workout again, I'd be a really happy guy. Cutting it off too early is probably a bigger crime than too late.
    The Champagne of Beards

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    OK thanks for the advice. I'm going to keep going and just keep an eye on things. I'd say I'm right on the edge of where the fat is bugging me. I'm trying to put my trust in the program, though.

One thing I don't understand is, what exactly happens to the body which will make LP hard to restart should I switch to fat-loss before it ends? I can't just pick it up again? It seems like people are saying once you start LP, you need to ride it all the way out or you set yourself back, somehow.

Well I'm done with it.

Last week I decided to focus more on fat loss and maintaining strength so I'm going to experiment with a Leangains type approach and some Reverse Pyramid Training.

The last month of SS ended up being kind of counterproductive. I was showing signs of overtraining/under-recovering but I tried to soldier through with willpower. Now I'm happy to move on to something else and eat less.

I took 3 days off for Christmas. It was the first time I took more than 2 days rest in many months and that sure felt good!

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength isn't an end-all, perfect program, but hopefully it's given you a good foundation of muscle and strength. Good luck with your future goals!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Till such time that you discover HIT training !

Thanks Jefferson. Well, I was hoping the predictions of the book were going to come true as far as bodyfat moderating but I didn't really find that to be the case.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Thanks Jefferson. Well, I was hoping the predictions of the book were going to come true as far as bodyfat moderating but I didn't really find that to be the case.
    Yeah, people get different results from doing Starting Strength. If you're going after aesthetic goals, just realize that's it's gonna take some time. You've been training for what, a few months? That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's hard to get stronger, but most things just seem to get easier as you do.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    Yeah, people get different results from doing Starting Strength. If you're going after aesthetic goals, just realize that's it's gonna take some time. You've been training for what, a few months? That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's hard to get stronger, but most things just seem to get easier as you do.
    Damn straight. Momentum is a beautiful thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12