Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WhatWhenHowHIIT? page

gergirl Guest

Question WhatWhenHowHIIT?

Shop Now
    Hello
    I think I need some inspiration/ideas/tipps for my HIIT - if what I do can be called HIIT.

1.What do you for HIIT? I do not like running (neither do my joints), I'm not in a gym. I do have an indoor rower.
    At the moment I do BW- circuits with sprinting in place, jumping jacks etc, biking (worse in winter because of the conditions outside), but an alternative would be great.

Any experiences with swimming for interval training?

2.I'm 32 (would say pretty well trained) - what should my heart rate be like during the "sprinting" and the resting time? Now it's about 145-165 and 120-30 when recovering. I do 30sec speed and 1min30sec of rest for around 8 intervalls.

3.When dod you do the HIIT - on strength/lifting days or seperate days? Before or after doing weights?

4.How often do you do HIIT/week?

Thank you in advance for your replies (hope there are any)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

gergirl Guest
    Great! Thank you...
    But questions remain - how long does the HIIT take if I do it on Off days? How often in one week? 2x weights/strength/BW 8full body workout) and 2x HIIT?4x BW (2xpull&2xpush) and 1 HIIT session. Which version is better for reducing body fat? I'm not looking for building muscles in the first place...
    sorry for keeping on asking, just want to get things straight concerning BF and recovery...

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Tabata intervals are great.

Tabata box jumps, burbees, kettlebells swings are all favorites of mine for quick HIIT and they only take 4 minutes to do!
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Any experiences with swimming for interval training?
    In my younger day as a competitive swimmer, HIIT was an integral part of our training. Until you become conditioned to sprint swimming, you will tire very fast, your form will fall apart, and you will slow down.

Now that I am older than dirt I occasionally do a few swimming intervals, but I'm no longer in good enough swimming condition to get in a great HIIT session that way. I do my sprints running now.

If you have easy/fast access to a pool to be able to slowly build up your sprint capacity, go for it.

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SalubriousU View Post
    Tabata ... kettlebells swings are all favorites of mine for quick HIIT and they only take 4 minutes to do!
    Can you get your heart rate up enough with KB swings for a good Tabata? I do 2x 25 reps of KB swings before I start my weight circuit, but 25 reps is longer (for me) than a 20 sec interval.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    Can you get your heart rate up enough with KB swings for a good Tabata? I do 2x 25 reps of KB swings before I start my weight circuit, but 25 reps is longer (for me) than a 20 sec interval.
    You certainly can, as long as you go heavy enough. I'm using a 32kg now and I'm considering buying a "bulldog" (40 kg) My heart rate easily goes above 170, and I'm pretty well conditioned these days

gergirl Guest
    What around Tabata? Warm up? Cool down? Qne exercise or different ones?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you do the basic kind of sprints: 20-30 seconds sprint with 1:30 to 2 minutes rest, 8 rounds, it takes about 15 minutes. That truly is enough. It'll gas you at first. It might take a while before you can do it (or the tabata intervals) 2x a week. But eventually you'll get stronger for them and feel really good.

I did tabatas for a while. Takes less than 5 minutes. First time I did it I wasn't sure if I could get off the exercise bike. In fact, it took me a while before I could get off and then it took a while just standing there before I could walk and I would feel gassed for a couple days. Tabatas are horrible. It was suggested to me, not being as fit and strong and being older than a spring chicken, that I could get more of the training effect with a longer rest interval so that I could go full out and move fast on all 8 rounds. With the short rest of tabatas I wouldn't be moving very fast on the last few rounds.

Your best bet for any of these is to do something where you move your larger muscles as fast as you can. Rowing is great because it works the whole body. Stuff with your legs moving really fast is great because those are big muscles. It works just fine to do one boring thing if you want. It need not be made complicated.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    What around Tabata? Warm up? Cool down? Qne exercise or different ones?
    Makes no real difference what exercises you do as the aim is to rapidly raise the heartrate.Obviusly the exercises that use the largest muscles will be the most effective...swinging your arms in circles ain't gonna raise the heartrate as quickly as squat jumps etc.

Burpee's are one of the best in my opinion.

No big warm up needed. I would recommend a warm down, steady walking etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast