Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarkie's Primal Quest page 6

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Rain that isn't turning sidewalks and roads into skating rinks sounds like a little bit of heaven right now! I know I shouldn't let the weather affect my mood as much as it does but grrrrrrrr it just makes everything more difficult! A simple trip to the store becomes a death defying feat! lol! One of the items on my "bucket list" is to move to a warmer climate.
    I have been very productive today! I was up shortly after 6 to drive DH to work. Pre primal I would have crawled back into bed until at least 10 but not today! I had 2 loads of laundry done, groceries bought and put away and most of my Xmas presents wrapped before noon!
    Food today:
    B-coffee with coconut oil
    L-3 eggs and 3 slices of kolbassa sausage
    S-(planned) pork carnitas If you haven't made them get the recipe off MDA and do it! They are so fricking good. Going to have them with roasted sweet potatoes and asparagus.

So DH and I were talking last night and I told him that I was planning on doing a Whole 30 in January. HE WANTS TO DO IT WITH ME!!!!! I am so happy. I really think that he will feel so much better if he does. He has Type 2 diabetes and has been brainwashed by a nutritionist into thinking he NEEDS to eat carbs every 3-4 hours to keep his blood sugar stable. When I say carbs I mean grains.
    We have decided to plan menus on a weekly basis. We will shop on Saturdays and do as much pre-cooking and prep work on Sundays as possible. I am scouring as many paleo sites as I can for Whole 30 friendly recipe ideas. I am determined to keep both of us on board 100% for the 30 day duration.
    Last edited by Clarkie; 12-21-2013 at 10:29 AM.

AutumnTiger is offline Senior Member
    Yay! That is fantastic news! I am really beginning to question why nutritionists recommend carbs for diabetics at all. My DH says there must be something I am missing, not having qualifications in that area myself, otherwise they would. In some ways he is right and I have actually been looking into getting myself qualified just so that I can really get to grips with this. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if that might not be my calling. Trouble is it would be the third career change, and I promised myself not to spend any more money on (my) education until we bought our house.

Anyway, sorry, wasn't meant to be my life story. How wonderful for you and your DH. I am going to be really interested in hearing how he fares. And obviously, for you, not only will you have wonderful support as you are not doing it alone, but you will also have that fantastic attitude of not being able to 'cheat' because you are setting an example for someone else - how perfect!

I love hearing about your life story! Wouldn't it be amazing if you could somehow be a part of a health care team that understands primal/paleo and could help people adopt a healthier lifestyle? Sad that so many aspects of our lives are controlled by financial restrictions. So many people I know (myself included) are unhappy in their jobs but are basically trapped by bills, mortgages, debts to be paid.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    It is so much better to do a whole 30 together . The husband and I did one last year and it is really helpful to have company (in misery ,well at the start anyway).
    Has anyone bought the book? I downloaded it on the iPad and while some of it is redundant because we are already clued up because of primal there are some helpful recipes in it.

Anyway whole 30 is tough to start with but the longer you do it the easier it becomes and the changes are amazing.

At, I used to want to do something with nutrition but ALL the degrees or classes teach CW and you have to regurgitate CW to pass the course. This put me right off.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnTiger View Post
    Yay! That is fantastic news! I am really beginning to question why nutritionists recommend carbs for diabetics at all. My DH says there must be something I am missing, not having qualifications in that area myself, otherwise they would.
    I've thought about this too. But honestly, I tried their way for over 20 years and it did NOT make me slim, fit, healthy or energetic. Then I tried primal for a few weeks and kept it up for two years because indeed it does work. One day I may understand why, but for now, I will stick with what is working. Better blood pressure, better sleep, better skin, better moods, better digestion, and not least - better FOOD!!! What's not to like?

Today was an interesting day. Woke up this morning to find the world under about an inch of ice, tree branches down all over the street and no electricity. DH, God love him, went outside, fired up the BBQ and made scrambled eggs, bacon and boiled a pot of water so I could make coffee. We spent the next 6 hours putting on more and more layers as the house got colder and colder. We listened to the radio to try to get an idea of when we might expect to have power. Predictions ranged from several hours to 3 days so we said "F*ck it" and went to the hotel where DH works. It's only about 10mins from home and there is power here. Had a long hot shower, got my jammies on and ate a burger and fries. Desperate times. Honestly sometimes I wish eating crap made me feel like shit but I feel fine, just guilty as hell. Not sure if I can get to work tomorrow or not. I will see how the roads are in the morning and decide. Hope everyone else is safe and sound.

Wow that is some serious weather. We've got a warning for gale force winds and heavy rain so I have my waterproofs for the walk home.

Crap food doesnt make me too bad in small amounts. Though I am interestingly snuffly after yesterdays mince pies. Clean day today on the plan as from tomorrow afternoon its (all) out of my hands.

Definitely got my eye on a dietetics/nutritionist MSc possibly from September. Will see how things pan out but will ask questions about the pre-requisites so I am ready to go if I can.

Hope you get heat and power back soon (((hugs)))

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Current: 16-Jul-14 = 211lbs (15.1 = +3 from low) | GW = 138lbs

Whole 30: Sat 7th June 2014 to Sun 6th July lost 14lbs; low of 14.12

Paleo Start: 16-Nov-13 at 234lbs | 22-Feb-14 = 219lbs dropped into cruise maintenance mode
    Previously: 2-Jan-13 to 17-Jul-13 lost 37lbs with WW

Knock me down, I'll get right back up again, come back stronger than a powered-up Pacman - Kaiser Chiefs

Wow AT that's so awesome! I really hope that you are able to start your studies in September.
    The power came back on late last night. Thankfully our home and all the trees on it are safe for now. There are still many thousands of people without electricity in the surrounding areas so we got lucky for sure. I did go to work today, roads were ok. Managed to get my groceries done tonight so I think I am all ready for Christmas. Tomorrow will be just my immediate family. Our traditional Xmas Eve meal is schnitzel and potato salad. Christmas Day will be turkey, duck, stuffing, mashed potatoes, assorted veggies etc.etc.
    I am going to enjoy my time with my family, try not to eat TOO much and definitely not stress about food or weight. Whole 30 starts Jan1!

Yay! Sounds wonderful. No fretting about Christmas food. I just dont want to feel stuffed and/or have any tummy aches.

other than that I intend to have very small portions of things I love. I have definitely learned this year that all the enjoyment is in the first two bites/mouthfuls.

Have a wonderful family Christmas

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Current: 16-Jul-14 = 211lbs (15.1 = +3 from low) | GW = 138lbs

Whole 30: Sat 7th June 2014 to Sun 6th July lost 14lbs; low of 14.12

Paleo Start: 16-Nov-13 at 234lbs | 22-Feb-14 = 219lbs dropped into cruise maintenance mode
    Previously: 2-Jan-13 to 17-Jul-13 lost 37lbs with WW

Knock me down, I'll get right back up again, come back stronger than a powered-up Pacman - Kaiser Chiefs

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas/Holiday Season with family and friends.

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast