Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten/grains and shoulder pain page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Gluten/grains and shoulder pain

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if anybody has had chronic shoulder pain/inflammation that has goes away by eliminating gluten/grains? I have sore knees, and a shoulder that has given problems for probably almost 10 years now. It goes away at times but comes back whenever I try to lift weights. I've gone for physiotherapy which made it worse so I stopped.

I've heard the gluten sensitivity in particular can contribute to this. I know that gluten causes me digestion problems so I suspect that this could be causing the shoulder pain too.

Thanks,
    Brian

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You might also want to eliminated nightshades. Some people claim that it aggravates joints.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I find that if I consume gluten my joints ache when I get up in the morning and I move like I am 40 years older than I am. That's enough reason for me to stay far, far away....
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

serdnago is offline Junior Member
    That's interesting, I had a bad pain in my shoulder for over a year
    probably due to too much weight training, it was soo bad that at some point
    I could not even brush my teeth. After 2 weeks of PB the pain
    went away, totally.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I have had chronic muscle pain for over 10 years....primarily in the shoulders (between the shoulder blades progressing up the neck or down an arm when it is bad). I found my problems to be likely related to Candida (yeast overgrowth). I have lived on pain meds, been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, etc etc. I have been medication (and doctor free) for over 5 years. I do not know if it was just leaky gut due to candida, or other things...but food has a MAJOR if not primary impact on my shoulder pain. Originally I thought it was gluten as well, as I did improve going gluten free.....but that only got me so far. Eliminating grains and sugars is what makes me feel the best. As my carbs creep up, my pain comes back. Its never 'instant', more like over a few days or weeks depending on my eating habits. Stress makes it worse, activity has made it worse (but usually better if I work through the pain longterm), but in the end, food seems to have the largest longterm impact.

I have done a low carb diet for years because it made me feel better (off and on).....going primal just made it 'easier' because instead of saying 'I eat low carb because of medical reasons', I can say 'I eat this way because I feel it is the best lifestyle'. Its been much easier to stick to and believe in with that philosophy.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Eliminating grains completely eliminated pain in my ankle from an old break, 12 years of intense pain eliminated with in about 3 weeks of grain free. I did a big write up of my experience in my journal if you want to read the whole story. It is on page 1.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Sounds similar to me. Fought shoulder pain for a long, long time. I'm about 95% better now, though I can't say for sure it was just the grains, as I started taking fish oil and glucosamine right around the same time. I wouldn't want to try dropping them one by one to find out which it was though! I'm enjoying being pain free for the first time in a few years too much.

Legerity is offline Junior Member
    I find it interesting that a lot of you have seen improvements by removing grains from your diet. Until recently I would not have thought that diet was at all related to joint health I just noticed that no matter what exercise I was doing my joints seemed to get sore, I always thought I was doing the form wrong. But no matter how careful or slowly I do the lifts, my joints don't like it. I'm hoping to soon see the results that the rest of you have.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    You will laugh at that but I had pain in my right wrist playing fussball ... I always complained to friends and colleagues about my wrist, and I always got kinda under-the-belt jokes about it ... I stopped gluten / wheat all at once. A few days later, pain gone ...
    I could then do push-ups all I wanted.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People say so, but dropping wheat and everything else gluten didn't make my shoulder / arm pain vanish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast