Thread: Vegetable intake on a keto diet? page

mch_calypso is offline Junior Member

Vegetable intake on a keto diet?

Hi all,
    When counting carbs, how do you count your non-starchy vegetables? Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, brussel sprouts, etc. Do you count net carbs, or total carbs? Veggies are basically my only source of carbs, I'm just not sure how much I can consume before it takes me out of ketosis!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Net carbs is the only correct way to count your carbohydrates. You are doing carb refeeding days right? I would take in at the bare minimum 30 grams of carbs a day and then on refeed days 150-200 grams on that day.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Net. The other ones aren't digested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Wow you guys are terrible at answering a simple question. In as few words as possible you manage to completely not help.

As long as the op is sticking to non starchy veggies then you really cant eat enough carbs to knock yourself out of ketosis. Most of those veggies are fiber and water so all good. More than 30 g or so of starchy carbs though could be an issue. So yes net carbs are what to count.

I have been in ketosis for months now. I can have as much leafy stuff as I can stomach and no problem. peppers, onions loads of cauliflower and various brassicas have not been an issue, even leeks and pumpkin in everything has been ok.

I really dont bother counting carbs and only consider it when something starchy is being offered.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    If I eat ANY veg aside from a cup or two of lettuce I typically get out of ketosis (not that I want to be there). It's very different for everyone.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Warmbear. If it's green or yellow veg, I don't stop to think about the carb count, even though I'm keeping net carbs <30/day. I'm not sure it's even physically possible for me to eat enough of those things to knock me out of ketosis. Most of tonight's dinner was an entire head of Nappa cabbage, a double handful of mushrooms, and an orange pepper, chopped up and stir-fried; I'm pleasantly full and didn't even come close to 30g net carbs. Sometimes I do have weeks when I eat no plant materials at all, but this hasn't been one of them.

Root veg and tubers? That's another story. Those I definitely have to restrict, but I can still fit them into my carb budget, so I do eat them--just in small quantities.

Orange is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great question mch_calypso, I have often wondered this myself. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good website that lists the net carbohydrates of non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini, that would be much appreciated. At the moment, I am calculating 100 grams of broccoli for example as containing 6.6 grams of net carbohydrates, but that figure seems wrong having read this thread.
    Last edited by Orange; 11-16-2013 at 09:37 PM.