Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulletproof Coffee! page 2

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    When I drank it I would add a tablespoon of organic cocoa powder and some stevia to it.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Salt is a matter of preference, and Dave Asprey does recommend consuming salt in the morning, he just thinks it tastes gross in coffee.
    It's more than just the taste; the nutritional profiles of salted vs. Unsalted kerrygold are different - I'd have to look it up (it was explained really well in the comments of Asprey's original bulletproof coffee article), but I wanna say it's something like the lipid profile, and it has something to do with the way salted butter is processed....

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    Anyone tried this in a thermos coffee mug? Does it separate after awhile?
    Yes and yes... But you can always shake up the thermos and/or give it a whirl with an aerolatte-type thing. I've done a lot of bulletproof (and bulletproofish/bulletproofesque) coffee on the go and on the road.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    FWIW I had a lot of digestive issues ('Code Browns' as they are known in the running community) with MCT. Those went away when I replaced MCT with coconut oil. Now its 1 tbs of ghee and 1 tbs of coconut oil. I have noticed a boost in my ability to get through a SL 5x5 workout since moving to this recipe.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    he doesn't recommend it in coffee. He and his cult-followers love starting their day off with a glass of salt water -> Mastering the Mid-day Recharge (In 15 Minutes)
    Salted water is just another method of consuming the salt. My point was that even though Dave thinks that salted coffee tastes gross, if you like it then go ahead and drink it that way, you may even derive some benefits from the added salt. If you don't like salted coffee but want to consume salt there are obviously other methods. Salted water is one, you could always just eat a pinch of salt and wash it down with water also.

I don't know too much about the benefits of consuming salt in the morning like this (maybe it is something to look into), I was just saying that if you like the taste of it then go for it, it might even be good for you.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Also, the salt recommended by the bulletproof exec is specifically pink Himalayan, which is almost certainly not what's in your butter. (Dave & Lana go into great detail about salt in their better baby book, but I think he has some info on his website as well)

If you like the taste of salt in your coffee, add it, but between the better nutritional profile of unsalted grassfed butter (still looking for that source, but I'm pretty sure it's the CLA?) & a desire to use a kind of salt that's actually beneficial, I'd add them separately...

Kind of like how chefs usually use unsalted butter and add precisely the type and amount of salt they want

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    Also, the salt recommended by the bulletproof exec is specifically pink Himalayan, which is almost certainly not what's in your butter. (Dave & Lana go into great detail about salt in their better baby book, but I think he has some info on his website as well)
    pink himalayan salt is not magical though, it's got TRACE mineral content (inlcuding not-so-good-things like fluoride and is mined in Pakistan).
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 11-20-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12