View Poll Results: How long and in what ways have you been fit?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • -work in progress

9 21.95%
  • -on diet to lose weight and get fit

5 12.20%
  • -on diet to gain weight and get fit

3 7.32%
  • -at goal weight 0-5 years

11 26.83%
  • -at goal weight 5+ years

4 9.76%
  • -fit, increasing lean mass 0-5 years

15 36.59%
  • -fit, increasing lean mass 5+ years

6 14.63%
  • -getting over/underweight and unhealthy again 0-5 years

1 2.44%
  • -getting over/underweight and unhealthy again 5+ years

0 0%
  • -quit the diet+lifestyle that works for me

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long have you kept fit? (Read before voting!) page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

How long have you kept fit? (Read before voting!)

Primal Fuel
    So, there's this thing doing the rounds that after 5 years, whatever diet or lifestyle change you make, you won't be at your goal weight/fitness level anymore (some even claiming that you'll be either the same weight or fatter than before).
    This poll is for you regardless of what your ideal diet is. Primal, Peat, Paleo, Vegan... As long as you made a lifestyle change at some point, the poll applies.
    I'm going to try and make it so you can select multiple categories, but, if not, ignore the 'lost/gained' two and focus on the main ones.

Here are the definitions of the categories (the first 9 assume you are still on the diet that suits your body best):
    -work in progress: Have not yet reached the weight/fitness level you desire or that you believe is healthy.
    -on diet to lose weight and get fit: What it says on the label.
    -on diet to gain weight and get fit: What it says on the label.
    -at goal weight 0-5 years: At goal weight, have been for 0-5 years.
    -at goal weight 5+ years: At goal weight, have been for over 5 years.
    -fit, increasing lean mass 0-5 years: Reached goal weight, gaining weight, but largely not fat, have been for 0-5 years.
    -fit, increasing lean mass 5+ years: Reached goal weight, gaining weight, but largely not fat, have been for over 5 years.
    -getting over/underweight and unhealthy again 0-5 years: Body destabilized and going/gone back to where it was before, has been for 0-5 years.
    -getting over/underweight and unhealthy again 5+ years Body destabilized and going/gone back to where it was before, has been for over 5 years.
    -quit the diet+lifestyle that works for me: Quit a perfectly healthy lifestyle that was working for you for reasons unrelated to physical health.

Here's hoping it will let you select multiple options!
    If not, feel free to specify in comments. If it does, please elaborate in comments. Especially the 5+-year people. How long have you been going? How long have you been fit? What do you think of the claims that you "are not typical"?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    What if I like my weight, but I am trying to change my composition?

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    "Fit, increasing lean mass." would be the best fit. Then just leave that comment to clarify. Polls don't allow more than 10 options.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    This is me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    So, there's this thing doing the rounds that after 5 years, whatever diet or lifestyle change you make, you won't be at your goal weight/fitness level anymore (some even claiming that you'll be either the same weight or fatter than before).
    Now that I've been at a normal weight for a year (after 25yrs of being overweight/obese), I'm not buying the obesity-as-destiny shtick. I cannot even conceive of what would have to happen to cause me to get fat again. I can imagine why some people regain, but I don't believe it has anything to do with inevitability. A couple possible reasons - 1) They haven't found a diet/lifestyle that is a good permanent fit for them. This is probably the case for almost all CW dieters. 2) They have emotional issues around food that they haven't effectively addressed.

I would be interested in comments from the people who are in the 5+ years category.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

How long have you kept fit? (Read before voting!)

I have been gradually leaning out over the past 6 years. Every year I get leaner or buffer or both.

My series of diets:
    2007-2009: cutting out more and more junk food. Eating large spinach salad, 1 slice whole wheat bread, and 2 chicken breast/thighs in college cafeterias. Eating oatmeal with pb when I run out of money. Aerobics 3-5x a week.
    2009-2011: got my own apt, survived on small amounts of oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa turkey/chicken. Large amounts of veggies and egg beaters (Blech). Lowish carbs. Almost gluten free by default. Started some lifting (p90x + my bf at the time teaching me). Still too much aerobics. Reached my lowest weight since freshman/sophomore year of hs here, mostly through severe caloric restriction.
    2012-2013: moved to NYC from Austin Texas. Found primal... Then vlc... Then realized I was hampering my weightlifting goals by not eating carbs so I went high carb paleo (mostly peat but I eat some starches too). Lifting more seriously now and eating tons of protein. Gradually killed my aerobics habit. Body slowly getting more and more muscular.
    2014 and beyond: I will continue to lift and eat this way. I finally found a woe that comes easily to me.

At a curvy 4-6 and 5'9" I am fine with the way I look but I want to look wayyyy better. I have stayed at around 4ish since 2010. I want to reach 2-4 but we shall see what I land at when I hit 18-19% bf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-17-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've only been at this since 2010 and it's been amazing. Yes, I still change things up from time to time, but I am getting stronger and adding lean mass as of now. I first got down to about 170, but looked gaunt. Now I'm usually around 180 most of the time, and 18% body fat. Did a few weeks of "gaining" while lifting heavy, and now am casually "cutting".

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I would be interested in comments from the people who are in the 5+ years category.
    I'm in both 5+ years categories (at goal weight and increasing lean mass). I'm not entirely sure about the "increasing lean mass" at my age, my goal is to maintain until I fall over and die (many, many years from now!) But I am getting stronger, although very slowly.

I was raised eating primally probably 70-80% of the time, and continued that when I left home. I've been in that 70-80% primal category for at least the past eight years, and in the past two years I'd say I've been about 90% paleo (don't eat much dairy any more).

I've always been within 10 pounds of my "goal" weight, although I don't have a scale and only know that I currently weigh 110 pounds because I recently had a regular exam. I've never been overweight, nor have I had the misfortune of having any kind of eating disorder. I'm 56 years old, 5'2" tall.

I plan to keep on skiing the black diamond slopes when I'm 100 years old.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I have never been considered overweight. I've been within a few pounds of that classification, but never hit that mark. That said, I did not like the way I looked or felt at that upper weight (136 lb at 5'2"). I guess I've been on the trail of discovery for just over 5 years, going from low cal/ low fat to primal to paleo/ low sulfite. It was the paleo/ low sulfite that was what I needed, because of lactose intolerance and a sulfite sensitivity. I dropped 10 lb in about a week after cutting dairy and sulfites and, when I behave, it's still steadily dropping.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Kochin, that's not a new thing going around. I've been hearing that for decades. It's one of the reasons that I'm not opposed to fast weight loss. It's also the reason I don't think I'll ever post a success story for myself until I've reached the five year goal. I've been part of the 95% who regain twice in my life, and I'm afraid to jinx it.

I don't know about people who are at a good weight and have other health goals, but as far as obesity, it takes some great will and continuing practice to keep the weight off for five+ years.

Loafing Cactus knows a lot about this. There's an obesity data base about which she's posted.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I plan to keep on skiing the black diamond slopes when I'm 100 years old.
    That sounds so much more admirable than my goal, lol. I always tell people I want to be able to lift a case of beer into my shopping cart when I'm 75.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't know about people who are at a good weight and have other health goals, but as far as obesity, it takes some great will and continuing practice to keep the weight off for five+ years.
    Why do you think this is? Is that your experience too? I always felt completely hopeless until I realized that SAD type dieting was a huge scam. Once I settled into something pretty primal, it felt almost easy.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast