Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed milk in Wal-Mart! page

ziok is offline Member

Grass-fed milk in Wal-Mart!

I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can but I found myself in the dairy section and saw just under the Horizon Organic milk, a grass fed milk by this company: Organic Valley - Organic Milk, Cheese, Butter, Eggs & More. Farmer-Owned since 1988.

I also found this same brand at my local HEB with seasonal (per package) grass-fed butter. I am in the Houston, TX area and have found secondary to local farms, grass-fed dairy to be difficult to find. Does anyone else know information about this company and its claims to be grass-fed?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's been awhile, but when I researched OV, I found them to be legit. There was some negative press about them regarding GMO feed, and when I emailed them I got the response you can read here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1154742

I don't do much traditional grocery store shopping anymore, but I loved that they were available when I was still finding local sources. I only used their Half & Half and butter, but I liked both, and after eating the butter for a few months, when I tried CAFO butter again, it tasted rancid.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MarkChopper is offline Banned
    I find it hard to believe that a company that big could supply that much grass fed milk. I doubt believe they say %100 grass fed so I would guess the cows are supplemented with grass so they can say it is grass fed. I hope I'm wrong though! I would still buy it if that was the only grass fed option.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Click on "Who's Your Farmer?" in the link provided by the OP. They have 1,834.

Publix, one of the more expensive grocery stores, also carries this brand.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    How can milk be grass fed? It doesn't eat...

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    That's the brand of milk I usually get.

Organic Valley - Organic 1% Lowfat Milk from Local Organic Family Farms

From their website:

What do we mean by “Pasture-Raised”?

All Organic Valley dairy farms are pasture-based, meaning the major portion of the cows’ diet comes from pasture. Since grazing is a bedrock principle of our organic farming system and philosophy, we long ago created a strict pasture policy, which we are proud to say was the model for a supplemental federal rule in the USDA’s National Organic Standards.
    Of course cows get supplemental feed as well, and USDA's Narional Organic Standards are somewhat vague in definition.
    I think raw, unpasteurized milk is a better choice, but it's not available to me and I also prefer a lower fat version.
    Haven't had any issues so far drinking this brand of milk.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Organic Valley has a new milk that is called Grass Milk. The label says "from 100% grass fed cows". I only use their half and half and butter and so far they dont come in the Grass Milk variety, but pasture based is much better than no pasture.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Organic Valley has a new milk that is called Grass Milk. The label says "from 100% grass fed cows". I only use their half and half and butter and so far they dont come in the Grass Milk variety, but pasture based is much better than no pasture.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Wow. Thanks! I'm going to ask our Publix manager if they can get this.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I believe it, they seem to be trying harder lately, along with other stores. Walmarts around here usually sell grass fed ground beef along with numerous cuts of grass fed lamb, more cuts that any other store I have found, actually. King Soopers and Safeway are also starting to carry more lamb and grass fed beef as well. Maybe people like us are actually starting to have an impact.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    How can milk be grass fed? It doesn't eat...
    You have to be careful not to overdo it. but basically a 1/3 of a blade at a time per glass. It takes some time but eventually and with some luck the milk eats the grass.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast